What's new

Gas powered pump thread..

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I suggest a propane pump instead of a gas pump. It's a bit easier to manage and safer as a fire hazard. I've always used the bucket systems, but thought I would leave my idea.

ncga

Just checking in with some thought.

the max any pump will draw is about 15 ft . before I had power I use a dankof slow pump. Only 2 gallons per minute but from a 12 v deep cell I could pump up hill 380 ft. If you want to pump very far up hill a diaphragm pump is what you need. Also do not try connect 3/4 garden hose to a 2 inch pump. I know this one the hard way :)

Also you can tell how high a pump can pump by the PSI .

nc

Sorry, you took me literally. Of course you're not going to stand in the river. I meant use an empty jug as a float to suspend your pickup/strainer. It won't float away if you fill another one with something heavy as an anchor, depends on current. Or you could pound a metal stake into the bottom but under the surface and just tie off to that. Staying off the bottom you won't pick up debris that will greatly shorten the life of the pumps' impeller, causing it to plug or go down at the worst possible time
Most shallow well pumps, that's what you're talking bout, can suck to a max. depth of 25 feet, but can push way up. At 25 feet you gotta know what you're doing, 15 feet is a lot easier.
Lastly, I never used a Tractor Supply or Northern Hydraulics brand pump, but I used a little Honda on the farm; it was definitely the cat's ass.

jackel

iv connected 1/2inch hose to a 2inch pump. worked fine. u just have to make sure ur clamps are on tight.

O

OriginalyPosted

they sell some fireman style hose that works pretty well for the bigger pump setups.

Fast_Pine

delivery methods.....

delivery methods.....

OriginalyPosted said:
they sell some fireman style hose that works pretty well for the bigger pump setups.
Flat Hose......Something ive toyed with for a wile now....The worst part about using a gas pump on a remote opp is bringing in hundreds and hundreds of feet of anti kink garden hose(that shit is heavier than regular hose, and is completely nescesssary..

The season I tried to use 500 foot sections of 1/2'' drip tubing was horrible, and when I switched to regular run of tha mill garden hose, it was worse(cost,weight)....

The biggest problem with the different kinds of delivery methods is kink's in the hose/line....The 2inch, 3-5 horse trash water pumps(like the one in my opening post) have sooooo much pressure that they will make a section of hose literaly explode like a bomb if there is a kink that totaly stops the water. Typicaly going around some kind of snag (rock tree, bush etc....Ive had garden hose, and the half inch poly tubing explode right in the middle of watering due to getting hung up in something back down the hill(out of sight/view) and kinking to a stop....

As far as kink's, flat hose kinks horribly,,,,,,worse than anything...Its terribly bitter sweet, because flat/fabric style hose is prefect (due to its light weight)for what we are trying to accomplish here (haul large lengths of hose deep into some remote valley/site)...Dont be fooled by the plastic flat hoses that stay flat when presurized...Those are rediculous. They dont flow much water at all, nothing compared to a standard flat hose, or a garden hose...

Some of the options ive listed above(fabric hose, poly lines, etc...) are ok to use if you are gonna leave the line/hose in place, as you can plot a path for the hose to run, and stake it down,,,,,should only be done in extreeeeeeemly remote areas, as leaving the hose in place is often a bad idea, and increases the chances of someone finding yer plot......One year, I decided to leave a hose in place(lazy),,,,,,,,Got my crop ripped.....So be careful how you set things up....

So far, the best way to do it(IMHO) is the heavy/expensive ass anti-kink hose found a Lowes or Home Depot(hardware stores)...Kink's will drive you nuts!!!, its worth the labor and investment to purchase the good hose, and coil it back up to yer plot when yer done..

Good stream to scout...Too small for fish, yet big enough to flow all season out here in the desert..

Simple cammo reserviors can be set up hill at the site to get an exact nute mix with soluables, or store water for a dripsystem on a timer..

Be careful using larger rivers.... Canoes, kayack's, fishermen, etc, will sometimes float past you hooking up a gas pump in the middle of nowhere....Big security risk.

Streams like this are my favorite....You gotta be sure that it flows all year, every year....

Honda WX-10, and the anti-kink hose enjoying the desert sun!...

Good day to yall....

Last edited:

jackel

the trick is, u have to bury ur 1/2inch poly. even covering it with leaf litter for the first yr helps, as fall will cause more leaves to fall on it and bury it more.
only exposing the end that u have to connect to ur pump.

jackel

i dunno if this is gonna help. but i got a pic of my Water-tank Manifold i made to fill up 4 barrels from one mainline. for these 4 barrels i used a gas powered pump. using 1inch poly line (which fits over 3/4 pvc perfectly) i was able to fill all 4 barrels at the same time in about 5 mins.
heres a picture, hope u can see it, i painted it camo, it kinda works :D

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Here she is!

Here she is!

This is my rig...fills a 5gallon pal in 3 minutes. Should do the trick! THX to the guys that brought this to my attention!

DR PONIX

pumps

pumps

I dont know why peeps use those gas powered pumps there way to loud no matter how remote your spot is... a whisper generator with a sub pump works wonders and is a hell of allot more quiet

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Thx LB been watchig for a reply...I shouldnt have a problem then because this one can do 45 psi....whats a whiper generator DP??

Fast_Pine

DR PONIX said:
I dont know why peeps use those gas powered pumps there way to loud no matter how remote your spot is... a whisper generator with a sub pump works wonders and is a hell of allot more quiet

I have one of the most quiet 1k generators on the market. It uses roughly the same four stroke Honda engine that the WX-10 uses. The generator is just as loud as the pump(if not louder, twice as heavy, not to mention, there isnt a pump housing attached to the generator,,,thats more gear you have to haul....The risk of loss is higher too, as the generator pump combo, will cost more..The gas water pumps are relitavely cheap compared to those econo generators. I would also be a little worried about getting shocked using a electric powered pump.

Now, all thats not to say it wouldnt work,,,,,It would prolly work fine, just as long as you matched your pressure needs with yer pumps max output. The electrics may have trouble pushing water up a hill.....Honestly I donno:confused:..

I do agree that the gas pumps are super loud. Ive encountered problems with the sound issue on a fiew occasions. One thing I have learned is that the sound is very hard to hear, or even distinguish from a little over a quarter mile away..And if yer in valley(which you probably will, the sound gets boxed in, and cant travel far at all..

There are quite a fiew reasons for a small engine to be running off in the wilderness. Heres a fiew off the top of my head.

Campers using a small generator to recharge batterys or lights.

Wood cutters using a chainsaw.

Forrest service clearing dead trees.

Kid on a small go cart, or dirt bike.

Someone usind a lawnmower to clear dead brush from a cabin site, etc...

So it's not like if someone hears the pump yer immediately fucked. In this case the more remote the spot, the more issues. Someone hears the wine of a small engine "all the way out here", can be sketchy, might cause people to be more prone to investigate.. If you have a old, broken lawnmower(misdirection) in the bed of yer truck, and yer planting closer to the road, a passerby may hear the pump, see the lawnmower, and pass by thinking nothing...many factors to be looked at. But yeah I certainly agree they are loud, and thats a big risk......In my state, and prolly any other one where you would even need the aid of a water pump, its gonna be dry and dusty. Easy to carve very noticeable trails to plots, especially streamside ones( as water is so popular out here in the desert. I cant allow the trails to my plot get noticeable. Hauling water by hand would carve the worlds worst trail right into my patch, not to mention it would be back breaking, and greatly decreas the nomber of plants I could run......With the gas powered water pump I can take 2-3 trips from the stream to my plot (setup), and be in busness. Its an amazing feeling to be standing in the middle of the plot, in such dry conditions with a unlimited ammount of fresh water,, great presure( waaay better than at home, almost too much,,,, most of the time im half throttle. I use a traditional hose end feeder with various soluables. The process couldnt get any more efficient..

As far as the risk fator goes, relating to the noise.... I found that late night and early moring hours are relitavely safe, and with that much free water at my finger tips , is worth staying up late..

Last edited:

badmf

Howdy yall, interesting thread seeing all the pros and cons. But I've used the wx10 for years and years now, great item! And as far as sound goes thicker brush masks it beyond 200 or so feet.But I put an upside down trash can vented over it camoed like a tree stump! Cuts sound big time! Caution not to use "old" gas you've stored there it'll gum up and you'll need to tote it out. I use "quick" release connectors/
But best of all remote motion detector with multiple locations...this has a great range at least a mile in thickets. It says "Alert Zone One or.. cool eh? This works best in choke points on trails leading into your area, of course an open river or such won't be as ez to rig. Had a couple times deer set it off.. I hustled everything off camoed and scouted the deer then I laughed but up to then shittte pantz..good fire drill though. Late!
PS: here's an old thread that may answer a few questions Search "Hands Free Outdoor Grows" down mid page, I couldn't get it to paste up here, any suggestions welcomed, thx!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts