What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Garden Life

JustGrowing420

Rest of the girls that I didn't shoot because the lights came on.
3 spectacular, fat Moby Dicks and a beautiful along with a strange pheno of Sugar Haze:

Moby Dick #1:
Has developed a strong earthy smell besides the citrus, on a deep inhale over the flowers, I can almost taste it coating my throat.
To me seems dripping with resin, easily competing with many modern strains, at least in the appearance department.

fetch

Moby Dick #4:
Was my favorite but it's aroma is still only on the lemon side with no interesting twists.
Also I think I need to back off the nutes a bit due to the canoeing. I think nutes because temps are fine otherwise, 76-78 lights on, 68-71 lights off.

fetch

Moby Dick #5:
Even though all of them have very dense buds this one along with #1 has so much density it has me worrying about mold on one hand, makes me very happy on the other!

fetch

Sugar Haze #6:
Very nice progression over the previous weeks, only small complaint is that smell is getting quiet but really sweet.

fetch

Finally Sugar Haze #3:
Don't know about this one, so much leaf although structure seems nice, wondering what expression is this?
Aroma is another kind of womans perfume, with fruit and some sweetness, one a younger woman would wear compared to the Nepal Jam #1 which is a more mature woman's aroma.
Don't know if it's a good analogy, I tried hard.
Finally got a better spot under the lamp since moving the nepal jams.

fetch

Most seem ready to begin flushing within 10 days at most, so by the end of the month I will be all done.
Finally so I can assess the smoke and get rid of the non interesting mothers that have taken so much of my energy hahahahah

Also now that I look at the pictures almost everything has these brown calcium spots, even using cal-mag supplement.
Never again without dolomite. Didn't have this problem on my previous grows, don't know what I was thinking.

JustGrowing420

Thanks. exploziv, I am quite pleased too.

At last, it is time!

First two NJs hanging upside down, whole, in a room with 60% rh and 70-72 F.

fetch
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Start of harvest time is also a signal for a new beginning, so I must decide what is coming up next.

Summer is also near with high temps, I think my room will hit high 80s-90s F.
Soooooo I have been thinking of giving some hazes a go, like Panama Haze and Purple Haze x Malawi.

I understand they handle higher temps well,
Besides I imagine they will really start flowering by august if popped in june almost straight to 12/12 or 11/13, so temps will be dropping for most of the flowering.

I also have some old timer's haze seeds from my last grows that I'd like to try and pop just to see if they're viable.
A little afraid I must admit.

As size will be a concern, I might just dismantle the tent altogether and then I'll have the whole room with about 2x2m and 3m ceiling.
Maybe add some LED in there to supplement.

That will give me plenty of space to run these beauties, plus the tent will be moved to another room for veg/mothers, which is very convenient as I'm running out of space in that small cupboard.

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

I'm happy today, finally found the perfect container to mix my soil in. Heavy duty garden trash bags.
One 270lt for bigger batches plus two 120lt each for smaller ones. Have thought about big boxes but the volume of them is just not practical.
Living in an apartment you have to be as stealthy as you can.
Foldability is a big plus for this and I can also cover it easily to keep from drying out.
Kiddies pools could be another option, but maybe more expensive and too shallow.

Also cut a new batch of clones from the best looking/smelling plants just in case and to practice at cloning.
Basically to have some backup plants for the next grow now the others are finishing so I can steal a week or two if needed.
If not they probably gonna get thrown away. Pity I can't gift them to friends.

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

I remember reading years ago the thread about Terra Preta in the organic soil subforum.
A little while after I stumbled on Bokashi.
I got a bag of Bokashi mixed with biochar to build my soil for next round.

Click image for larger version  Name:	bokashi_back.JPG Views:	1 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	17851723

Ordered some Purple Haze x Malawi, Panama Haze and Golden Tiger, so I thought to boost the soil microrganisms instead of relying so much on ferts.
Sativas are quite sensitive from what I see here so I thought to build a nice soil with a little food and some ammendments for micronutrients.

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

Hey! Small update for today.

Some photos of the bagseeds filling up for starters:

fetch

fetch

fetch

And some bud a friend gave me to hold me over till the nepal jams dry, thought it was pretty so took some photos.
Has a nice but faint creamy forest fruit aroma decent hybrid high, more to the clear side.
Enjoy.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

See you in a few days with more plants harvested.

JustGrowing420

Somewhat sad day today, after trimming the Nepal Jams I found some bananas on lots of larfy buds and most of them were fertile I think.
I inspected the tent and most of them have some, must be the timer failure that kept the light on for 48 hours.
Oh well, getting ready to count seeds come harvest time.

JustGrowing420

quick update, been a very long week. better photos tomorrow when lights go off plus harvest shots of two nepal jams and a skunk#1

for now some grow room shots and some pics of the sugar haze #3 that I pulled out to check ripeness.

tentview.JPG

SH#3

sh3top.JPG

I'll be back.

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

Much better photos today, here.
End of week 9 flowering.

Buds dragging the branches down with their weight, some nice fall colors and lots of deficiencies to the point I think I shouldn't be starving them that much.
Almost all plants are on a diet of water only ranging from a few days to two weeks for the ready to chop ones.

Room smells amazing!
First the floral and fruity notes greet my nose, then the more musky, skunky, gassy ones become apparent.

A look at the tent:

fetch

fetch

Then the side of the tent, soon to be empty:

fetch

Some shots of the plants' tops:
OG#18:
Nothing really remarkable about this yet... nice limey smell, somewhat fat buds, lots of stretch.

fetch

Moby Dick #1:
Loads of resin on this one, looked promising since the start of flowering in resin production.
Also very fat dense buds.
Still carrying that deep earthy/lemon profile. I like it.

fetch

Moby Dick #3:
Smells more and more musky and gassy, I like it a lot too hahah!
Not such a good yielder as the #1.

fetch

Moby Dick #4:
The trees of the family, #4 and #5, with huge long branches. Would have been 1.9meters if not tying the tops down.
Unfortunately they are at the back corners of the tent each and I have not so easy access, so I have not inspected them as much as I would like through their life.

fetch

fetch

Moby Dick #5:

fetch

Sugar Haze #4:
Terribly deficient with very beautiful swollen buds!
Smells like fruit, little bit like public restroom? and a deep musk.
Almost ready.... I'll give it one week and see.

fetch

Sugar Haze #6:
little bit of color in this, but not much nose, needs 1-2 weeks more for sure.

fetch

fetch

Skunk1 #5:

fetch

On we go now to the ready-for-harvest plants:

First two Nepal Jams:

#4:

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

#5:
The only one that I have a mother for clones of all the Nepal Jams unfortunately and seems to be the lowest yielder.
Has the sweetest smell though.

fetch

fetch

fetch

And one seedsman Skunk #1 that threw some nice colors towards the end of flowering:

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

See you soon!

JustGrowing420

Some pics of my roots at harvest time. Always like to see what's going on down there.

a group shot of skunk1 and nepal jam roots (skunk on the left) and close ups, first skunk, then nepal jam.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

To be honest I expected much worse rootbound for 11l containers and 6 weeks veg.

Also very interesting the different structure of the root system. Skunk has a lot denser roots than Nepal Jam.
This showed all through the grow as the Nepal Jams required watering somewhat less frequently, but I didn't expect such a huge difference.

JustGrowing420

Hey, pulled out Sugar Haze #6 two days ago, time to post the photos:

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

And my morning view, never fails to make my day:

fetch

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

Settled on my soil mix for next run today, just got to get some zeolite tomorrow and mix that shit.

For veg per 100 L of base substrate (Biobizz Light mix):

5 L Bokashi with biochar
600ml seaweed powder
900g zeolite 1-3mm (maybe smaller?)
100g dolomite lime
200g gypsum
10 L perlite

For flowering mixing in another container, same recipe as above plus (for added P-K):

600g guano 1-10-1 + 15% Ca
225ml palm tree ash 0-0-30

I will moisten the mix with 3% EM-1 solution and leave it for 2 weeks to a month (for the flowering mix).
My room temp is at 26C and rising with the season so I hope won't be too low.

I have purposefully not added any N sources in there as this mix is destined for Panama Haze, Golden Tiger and Purple Haze x Malawi.
Sensitive to N I gather so I feel more confident controlling it with with some bottled nutes like Bio Grow or Fish Mix.
I have generally settled on the low side of the recommended dosage for each product, so I might need to rely on Bio Bloom also during flowering.
Don't have that "nothing bottled" attitude. Yet, at least.

Zeolite is supposed to increase the CEC and is full of minerals.
In a quick search it doesn't seem to be mentioned very often.

Analysis of the one I can get (by the company):
SiO[SUB]2[/SUB]71.09 %
Al[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB]11.56 %
Κ[SUB]2[/SUB]O3.36 %
CaO2.98 %
MgΟ0.68 %
Fe[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB]0.77 %
Na[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB]3[/SUB]0.65 %

About the aluminum oxide I am not too sure though, gonna do some more research. 11.56% seems a lot.
But I'm not educated in chemistry so maybe I understand nothing.
Perlite is is composed of similar % Al2O3, yet we all use it religiously.

Feel free to comment on anything about it.

JustGrowing420

Well, I mixed the soil yesterday and decided that once it settles for about 3 weeks I will send it for a soil test
I have already emailed the lab to get a price, might also get consulting. I will post the results here.

Have also been eyeing a laser thermometer for leaf surface temperature and a lux meter for a rough estimate of light levels on aliexpress, about 10 euros each.

After some days in jars this is how the Nepal Jam #1 buds look, with a closeup (Unfortunately it is just the photo cropped, got to get a decent macro lens):

fetch

fetch

Good mix of every trichome stage I think...

Was looking at my old little seed stash again today and decided to see if the seeds are still viable, if they are not, no use keeping them around:

fetch

Don't really know what I will do with these or have the space yet, but if they pop I have a duty to keep them alive!
Good opportunity to upgrade with one more tent.

Also turns out from my research that unless the pH gets really low, the aluminum oxide is not gonna leach into the surrounding soil.
Read some more threads on EM-1, bokashi and biochar and am really excited to try them out next round!

JustGrowing420

All seeds except for one of OTH sunk to the bottom after +-12h, going in paper towels now.
These seeds were stored in a drawer in room temperature and even higher in summers for ~5 years.

A month and a half ago I went to the grow store to get some gallon pots for transplanting the mothers from their cups.
The guy there asked me how long I plan on keeping them in that pot. I told him couple of months and he looked at me strange.
Here is one of the mothers now, still haven't used the pots I bought that day, still looks great!

The Sugar Haze #3 now, is a different story, this one has started flowering, on one branch more than others, I think it is a side effect of such a restricted root space.
Shouldn't be long now before I decide which to keep and finally give them the home they deserve.

Finally some bud I snipped of the drying Skunk#1, at 8 days dry to test.
Has a sweet and sour exhale, fruity on the inhale and aroma, still need time to bring out the flavors.

skunk1.JPG

Last edited:

JustGrowing420

Ta da!!! I present to you Moby Dick #5, ready for harvest! In fact it's been harvested yesterday, day 70 flo.
Biggest one of them, smells like musky lemon with cleaner/petrol side also, super excited!
Leaning all over the place, had a really hard time moving it around for harvest and photos, that's why there are not many photos of this plant in my diary, sorry.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

And some smaller buds from lower branches, smokable in my book.
In fact, every plant under the 600 has pretty presentable buds in the shaded places, even though the tent was overcrowded and very little light seemed to make it down there.
On the other hand the Nepal Jams, vegged with the 600 in mind and flowered under the 250 eventually, were 1/3 larf, straight to the hash jar.
My fault, If kept shorter the outcome would be much better.

fetch

fetch

My soil is nicely cooking, reached around 100f within the first day, it's alive!
Although spotted some mycelium growing, had it half-covered, opened the container up to aerate.
I'll keep it this way now and check daily for moisture.

Life is good now, now I'm chopping every two days, there are many more to come!
Feels good to be smoking my harvest again after so many years, self sufficient at last! 🙂🙂🙂

JustGrowing420

Next round is on!
ACE Panama Haze, Purple Haze x Malawi and Golden Tiger fem packs with some Nepal Mist freebies.
The full packs of panama haze and PHxM are put to germination along with 3 Golden Tigers.

fetch

Two more down yesterday at 72 days flowering, Moby Dick #3 and Sugar Haze #4.
Had a fun time photoshooting and admiring.
Other than that I've been trimming all day the Nepal Jams after 12 days of drying in my climate.
Would like a bit longer but I think it's fine.

Moby Dick #3:
Trouble free grow, heavy buds, very little lemon, pretty musky with some woody notes.
The smallest of the 4 phenotypes.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

Sugar Haze #4:
This one gave lots of trouble on the other hand. in veg even medium doses of nitrogen seemed to make her claw, in flower it's another beast, misjudged so I ended not keeping up with her.
The aroma is nothing sweet, best I can describe is a half rotting pile of garlic and onion. If you take a deep enough inhale notes of fruit and earth start to unravel.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

JustGrowing420

Today was harvest time for Moby Dick #1 and #4, OG18 and Sugar Haze #3 at 75 days.
For now just a shot of the tent before harvest, and a couple shots of the bagseeds in the beer cups.
The first one still has that sour pineapple smell, start to think I'm stupid for not cloning it somehow.
The other one almost doesn't smell at all, bagseed luck, reserving judgement for after smoke testing though.

fetch

fetch

fetch

All week I have been harvesting, trimming, photographing, sprouting seeds, mixing the soil and smoking joints like crazy.
My brain is now all green and sticky with resin. Can't think. Just need to smoke me to sleep now.
Tomorrow many many shots of all the plants!

JustGrowing420

Getting there!
Excuse the transsexual party, as I have already mentioned, lights stayed on 48hrs during mid flower. All good, expected worse than that.

First up Moby Dick #1:
Straight wood/incense smell on the buds, witch a creamy/make your nostrils full dimension if that makes sense.
Took some clones before harvest, I'm very sad I haven't successfully cloned this one, it's the only one that didn't root. Don't have many hopes now either.....

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

Moby Dick #4:
Very elegant branches and buds I think. I like it's look very much all through growing till now.
Smells sweet lemon like sprite or 7up.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

OG18 #2:
This one I can't define yet, delicious but I gotta smell it a bit more to get a grasp of it.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

Sugar Haze #3:
The oddest phenotype of the 3 I grew, very fruity, not rotten smell, little earthy and red fruit for now.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

Now only the Sugar Haze #6 and Skunk1 #5 along with the bagseeds are left in the tent for 3-4 more days and they're done.

From the old seeds only a lone OTH popped, and shed it's shell while on the paper towel. Planted it regardless.

The new seeds have all sprouted except for 1 panama haze seed yet, planted them in light mix and am anxiously awaiting first signs above soil.
I always have a lot of stress when popping seeds I must confess, every time.

seed starting.JPG

JustGrowing420

The last bean (panama haze) has cracked, put in the dirt, first 3-4 seedlings broke surface, will take a group photo once all are up.

Also I the last thing I expected to find in the Moby Dick is incense. But damn the one I'm smoking now (#3) has a light incense smell on the buds and leaves the room smelling like this also.
One of the others, #4, reeks of incense just passing by it and has this sweet sprite smell when rubbing the resin, I hope it remains in the smoke, too wet to test it now.
In the start when they started smelling like lemons I was a little skeptical cause I don't like lemon dominant flavors, don't mind it in the mix though in lower proportions.

The forum really seems like a ghost town like someone said, since the update. I was raised on this forum since a teenager and it's sad to see it like that now.
Lot's of old members I was following have completely stopped posting, many even before the update. Seems like from 2019-2020 and on, the forum has been going downhill dare I say.... Shame.....

Dr Bombay

Hello JustGrowing420. You have some beautiful plants and l am looking forward to your next grow. I like the mix. I am also growing in soil. Thanks for the detailed information!! 🔥👍🎄🧞

JustGrowing420

Hello JustGrowing420. You have some beautiful plants and l am looking forward to your next grow. I like the mix. I am also growing in soil. Thanks for the detailed information!! 🔥👍🎄🧞

Hey there, thanks, very very far from perfect but trying.
Just trying to replicate what I liked when reading this forum before I joined, the detailed grow reports, lots of photos and descriptions of smells and tastes.

On or off the forum most of what I talk about is ganja anyway.

You stopped by right on time for my next update too!

Last run is over, all plants have been harvested, last 4 were Sugar Haze #6, Skunk1 #5 and two bagseed buds-on-a-stick.

Sugar Haze #6:

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

Skunk1 #5:

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

Sorry for not describing smells, I just... my nostrils are fucking full right now, I need to take a step back, to reset my smell.
Been trying to describe so many plants' smell, I think my nose gave up on me for the time being...

All this can wait though, what cannot wait is these seedlings. This is my first time having honest 100% germination and even a resurrected regular OTH seed from more than 5 years ago.
Here is a photo of all the volunteers that stood up for testing my "growing" methods. Gonna be a real hazy one this grow, 50/50 excited/terrified!

Noticed this by the way: when using the pre-made plugs, seeds came with their casing still on the cotyledons. In peat/perlite they have all shed their shell during or before emerging.
Probably because peat is not so loose as the sponges, so the shell has greater resistance and falls.

fetch

Latest posts

Latest posts