What's new

Gainesville Green?

G

Awwwww, that was an excellent article! Everything I heard pretty much confirmed. Which is cool since so many are prone to exaggeration these days.

>>"Legend has it that at one time Gainesville Green was grown in the treetops,"

This is not legend at all. My brother in laws first story about GG was about how he and his friends used to grow pot in the base of fallen cypress trees. The trees sit in water full time and have hollow trunks. When they fall, a little cistern like container is formed by the remaining trunk. With the proper medium inside, you could create a natural wick system that would water the plants full time from the body of water the tree sat in. He said they would leave the plants, dozens or hundreds of them, in the middle of the swamp, with no direct sunlight during the days, and come back in however long and harvest whatever survived. There was aparently plenty enough sunlight getting through to grow them. He swears they were fully formed, but how could they be getting on 50% or less of the ambient light?

Damn, those were the days and that was the place. Wish I coulda experienced it back then in the peace and love atmosphere everyone talks about.....

ndnguy

Gainsville Green (Christmas Bud) done just before X-mas. :redface:

Gainesville is also well renowned in the recreational drug culture for "Gainesville Green", a particularly potent strain of marijuana. Orange and Blue magazine published a full-length article in Fall of 2003 about the history of Gainesville Green and the local marijuana culture in general.[8] In the mid-1990s there were several Gainesville Hemp Festivals, which would take place outside of the Alachua county courthouse.

Last edited:
G

ndnguy said:
Gainsville Green (Christmas Bud) done just before X-mas. :redface:

Gainesville is also well renowned in the recreational drug culture for "Gainesville Green", a particularly potent strain of marijuana. Orange and Blue magazine published a full-length article in Fall of 2003 about the history of Gainesville Green and the local marijuana culture in general.[8] In the mid-1990s there were several Gainesville Hemp Festivals, which would take place outside of the Alachua county courthouse.
xmas bud, exactly=)

G

Caprichoso is right about the cypress trees,and one genius took the original GG a step further.He grew pounds and pounds worth of plants literally on pontoons and floated them downriver.He got busted and got a life sentence,then the Clintmeister pardoned him.

Last edited:
S

sparkjumper

The guest is correct,his genius took it a step further creating the first cannabis flotilla.He never would have seen the light of day for his crimes if it werent for Billy Boy.

O

OGShaman

I left Jax in 99' and they were still calling various stuff Gainesville Green when I left. Probably still do today.

Most of the time good herb was referred to as crippy and brick was regs, but any time it was lime green they loved to call it Gainesville Green. I have no idea if I ever smoked the real deal or not. It was probably before my time; I was just in high school in the mid 90's.

Last edited:

FLAgreenthumb

Yeah, even to this day people out around alachua county down 75 to ocala and that area still call some stuff Gainesville green...lol
crippie.. crip nugs seemed to have started around St Augustine.... I'm in Melbourne now for the next year, but I've always lived in the Palatka, St Augustine, J-ville areas... and yeah unless you're a grower or friends of a grower.... You don't know what your getting.... And people just use those old names for marketing..lol
I will say just because you don't know the definite name of the strain doesn't mean it's no good....
I have grown some deliciously dank buds from bagseed! :) but I also didn't call it something it wasn't in order to help it sell...lol

FLAgreenthumb

Oh yeah! I enjoyed GG my last two years high school...lol It was soooo fresh.. :) I can tell u that what I smoked was grown in Citra..lol I met the dude at the 94 hempfest... wish I could catch up with him... That was such a good time.... Of course this is a fictional account

Tko420

BUMP !!!*!*!*!* BUMP

BUMP !!!*!*!*!* BUMP

OK SO NOW THAT WE CAN SOMEWHAT LEGALLY PURSUE THIS RESURRECTION OF THE INFAMOUS GAINESVILLE GREEN AND MICANOPY MOONBEAM!!! Born and raised in Gainesville FL. I too have heard stories from my mom and dad whom used to nail rubber pots to the cypress around the bank of Newnans lake where we played as kids. I believe I had a chance to smoke some real Gainesville Green back when I was a young teen however soon after it just became slang for good bud like stated above. Now we have an awesome fresh hopped IPA named Gainesville Green by a local brewery called swamphead which the label is a jar of "hops" on a triple beam scale!! 😂😂.Also the strain has played such a role in my life that my mobile Sandblasting company is named after it!! Back in 2012 I moved to California to legally pursue my passion for MMJ where I founded and operated a dispensary in California for two years where I broadened my knowledge on any and everything cannabis related. Now I have returned home to open a dispensary in my home town which we are currently in the process of doing via lawyers, investors and ears in Tallahassee with the DOH implementation of Amendment 2. One of my main goals besides providing a safe path to MMJ for the patients of NCF is to ressurect the true legend of Gainesville Green. I believe I have acquired the info on the original two strains which was a task in itself now just the task of acquiring true F2s of said strains but I myself have no "breeding" experience, only growing and extracting. Hope my post bumps this thread and reignites a spark of interest on the subject! I will keep everyone posted as we make steps forward recreating this legend!!!

Sincerely,
@SwampCityCo
🌱🌱🌲🌲

Best of luck with the legalities.

Having experience out West should make it easier.

It will take time to "backtrack" from F2's, that much is certain.

However, please keep in mind that because of environmental factors, it might not ever be possible to re-create those strains. Here's the deal: Whenever plants are moved from the places that they have been for decades, they adapt. The genes might be the same, but the expression of those genes will change over several seasons. Take for instance the first wave of single-stalk Indica's that arrived in the late 70's. They came from mountainous terrain, much farther from the Equator. When they were brought down to sea-level, it took about four years for them to turn bushy. Still good, but different. Different size seeds, different color, different leaf size & shape.

There's little doubt that the GG and MM you speak of back in the day was still in the process of adapting to a semi-tropical area, and the remains of those strains have, by now, "settled in". Making improvements to the locally available "heirloom" genetics might be an easier way to go.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Or, mo' betta, (as long as we are exhuming 12 year old threads), get some original GG seeds that were stored, and grown, is the mountains of S. California and grow them in a tropical environment again. :)

Met a S. Ca. grower who has been hoarding a large bag of GG seeds for 40 years.
Had so many he didn't bother making new seed.
I talked him out of a couple dozen and have been breeding them in Hawaii for about 4 years now.
G Green july.jpg
I find that it is a sun whore.
Will grow just fine in soil, coco, or DWC, but it is fussy about light. turns it's nose up at HPS, and CFLs. But will accept strong bicolor, LEDs.
At least for veg. I flower outdoors.
Every now and then, she does this;
GG mini.jpg
She is the queen of my harem.
GG sweety.jpg
If you can beg or buy G.G. do not hesitate.

Aloha,
Wee 'zard

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Interesting thread. I lived in Gainesville for a few years, and by that time it was regs or crippy. Just like it had been in Miami for years. Even the crippy just tended to be average. There was a lot of work, but usually nothing standout. I had good connections with a few people so I could get good flower, but most of it was beasters.

Did know a few people from Micanopy and they definitely were the swamp country outlaw types. Can't really speak on whether it was ever an actual thing, but I imagine at some point it may have been. I've heard it said that the Crippy was the origins of what we know as OG Kush, and it may have been. By the time I was a teenager it was just generic slang for good weed.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks to be a hybrid there Weezard. I take your opinion seriously so I expect that to be top stuff. Looking at the High Times quotes from the 70's, it has Gainesville Green listed as being half the price of regular Colombian or primo Mexican.

Not sure why it was regarded as being less desirable than high end Mexican or regular Colombian. Probably less seeds in it as well.

Aside from the dumb laws, Florida was a pot paradise from 70's to 80's. Imports coming in by the tons and an environment where you could hide plants and have them not have to water them.

Salt Water Cowboy and Totch are a couple books I am reading covering that era and the pot smuggling that went on.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
In late '69, I went to St Marks with some smugglers.
They we're scouting a drop. I went for the sunset.
It was superb.

Bummed around Fla that winter, but didn't get any farther south than Clearwater/Largo.
Reg weed was everywhere, but I didn't find any G. G. that far North.

Had some great times at River sink but much prefer swimming in Hawaii. :)
Less bugs, no snakes or gators, no bobcats, skunks, gophers, weasels, raccoons, or bears.
And much better buds.

Aloha,
Weeze