What's new

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

RetroGrow

Veteran
bastards.. once u get em u pretty much gotta hit every crop, 1x in veg with bayers..

If you guys think RAs are bad, wait 'till you experience "Broad mites". They are even worse, because they are microscopic and you can't see them. I'm thinking that some people here who are having RA symptoms may also have broad mites. I had them for a long time without knowing it until stumbling on the info and getting a microscope. A 30X loupe won't work as they are just too small. Plants look much the same as RA infected plants. These things are much harder to get rid of than RAs because of their tiny size. They can hide out anywhere. They travel on the backs/legs of white flies and are easily spread that way. Just a heads up for those who are still struggling to find an answer to their issues.
Good luck.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
I'm getting me a big assed stick all prettied up to bash em again.

I have been microwaving my 6-in rockwool cubes after harvest - going to add a few more minutes and check temps inside....

I got a new book for side reading, Hemp Diseases and Pests: Management and Biological Control.

It is largely gathered from previously published books. I about FREAKED when I saw the chapter about vertibrate pests - but I don't get many deer and goats in the house. There are a butt load of bugs that are being grouped together. They list 4 or 5 varities of spidermites, 3 types of Root Aphids and a few choices of gnats.

Plus broadmites and a long list of pests I've never heard of. yet, Ohhh JOY!

I had good success with Bayer Tree and Shrub, until the changed the formula. I hate when they do that; especially when it looks the same. I didn't know the bright green of the new mix, would contrast so well with the crispy brown of the garden a little later. Most everything recovered, after a brief stress session. (For ME!)

Last edited:

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wallbash: i found acouple flyers on my sticky traps. :wallbash:

picture.php

-=- both the same flyer, just 2 different pictures.
picture.php

im getting some met52. and ill be hitting several clones to keep as moms. i hope this shit works for me. ill be flipping most of what i have to keep things moving.

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
I'm going searching for straight Imidaclor today. Bayer lowered the amount of Imid and adds crap I don't want

I know what I'm hunting and I just wana focus on that bastard.

FB, Botanigard works up till day of harvest. it's a fungus that infects R/A's thru thier shell and eats them from the inside. - and,, it's available locally!

EDIT- Found the Merit 75 and Bonide Tree and Shrub @ 1.3% Imid. And the Imid dosent't bother the Botanigard.

I see the light.........

Last edited:
I found "Annual" brand Tree and Shrub at the hardeware store it has the same 1.46% Imid that the old Bayer formula had, but without the extra nutes that the Bayer had, so the Annual Tree and Shrub is nothing but Imid @1.47%, no extra stuff.

I've been using MET52 for a couple runs now, it seemed to have worked great on my last run, but I've used it again on the newest plants and they still got RA's.

I might have been too sparing with the MET52 is my thought. Next time I'm going to use more.

I watered in 10ml/gal of the Annual Tree and Shrub and 2 days later there's nothing living. I'm going to follow up with a root drench of Azamax in a few days.

This is what has worked for me in the past, I was hoping to not need it any more.

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just planted some catnip, garlic and mint. theyr in the veg tent. and im hoping Wikipedia was right. these fuckers need to relocate, and soon.

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
i just planted some catnip, garlic and mint. theyr in the veg tent. and im hoping Wikipedia was right. these fuckers need to relocate, and soon.

What picture would you like first, my catnip, my garlic or my Root Aphids? Unless the mint is a key component, I'd change plan now.

remember that reproductive cycle too, if the garlic and catnip and mint did work,, how many bugs will you have by the time the other garden is big enough?

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What picture would you like first, my catnip, my garlic or my Root Aphids? Unless the mint is a key component, I'd change plan now.

remember that reproductive cycle too, if the garlic and catnip and mint did work,, how many bugs will you have by the time the other garden is big enough?

wikipedia - aphid control section, "Aphids also dislike the smell of garlic, catnip, and mint. If you add those plants next to infested plants, aphids will soon relocate ."

im trying anything i can do beat these things. if wikipedia says aphids dont like garlic, catnip and mint plants. then i figure its worth a shot, and cant do any harm.
ive been using other pesticides the entire time (spraying and watering w bayer complete, merit, axamax) to keep everything in check. im not completely depending on garlic, catnip and mint plants to cure my aphids... im just hoping they might help.

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
FB - I want nothing but success for you.

And I'm all for keeping the garden wholesome.

my 2 garlic plants and 2 containers of catnip are both young and small - but the RA's haven't noticed.

What are you growing in? Coco, I think.

- I'm using Rockwool cubes - and REUSING. opperative word - re-using an infected growing medium.

I think I may have missed sterilizing a cube and only treated once with the Bayer. That would explaine why some plants are clear and some have issues,, - I think.

Just sayin - a little bit of Garlic, mint and Catnip prolly won't help much. Ya might put in a few crysanthanim (sp) flowers too.

That book on Pests and controls has several uses where canabiss is the protector plant and several where plants help protect canabiss.

We have much to re-learn out fore fathers already knew

I need a bigger room! lol

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rockymountainHi - i grow in coco, and since ive known about my aphid issue. i have not been reusing my coco. :tiphat: i really hope everyone here beat aphids.
ive said it before. and ill say it again. i wouldnt wish aphids on my worst enemy.

Anybody familiar with how many pellets of Orthene 3.3 grams is?

hold on,,, you grow weed and dont have a scale???
if i had any orthene id tell ya.. ill probably be grabbing some soon. how well did it work for you??

ive been looking into several different insecticides. i was wondering if any one else tried them and how well they worked.
im thinking of adding a few things to the rotation. i want to cover all my bases.

i was thinking of grabbing:
orthene - Acephate -- 97.4%
demon wp - Cypermethrin – 40.0%
merit 75 - Imid - 75%
PyGanic dust (now called evergreen)- pyrethins ?%
(should have some met52 soon too!)
id like to grab botanigard, but its alittle more then i want to spend. i was going to be using the evergreen, merit, azamax and bayer complete to spray with.

this way i have everything that is said to kill aphids. imid, acephate, cyermethrin, and pyrethins. plus the contact killers of bayer complete and a bug bomb.

has anyone tried zero tolerance???
i was wondering if anyone has used anything i listed. and how well they worked??
im sick of these fuckers. its time nuke them!!

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Who here has tried using beneficial insects, parasites, to combat their aphids? I have tried nearly all the chems, fungs, bact, on a rotating schedule. Control, sure...

40Amps feels very strongly that the solution lies in beneficials. Why have we all not tried that yet?

Norkali

hold on,,, you grow weed and dont have a scale???
if i had any orthene id tell ya.. ill probably be grabbing some soon. how well did it work for you??

:biglaugh: - Correct, no scale at the grow. Not worth the hassle if the worst was to happen, ya know? If I really need one, I'll either borrow one or buy one and throw it away after use.

Norkali

Who here has tried using beneficial insects, parasites, to combat their aphids? I have tried nearly all the chems, fungs, bact, on a rotating schedule. Control, sure...

40Amps feels very strongly that the solution lies in beneficials. Why have we all not tried that yet?

I used predatory nematodes before, I could have sworn that they knocked those fuckers out completely...but they came back.

They DEFINITELY help, but it seems that I have a hard time keeping them alive, between the soil drying out, or other pesticides down the road if I see more crawlers.

My plan is a complete Orthene/Riptide dunk for all mothers, then a transplant into Met52 treated soil, steam cleaned space for the pants to enter, and them nematodes into the soil to rock with the Met52. Which brings me to my next information quest...does Met52 kill nematodes, or are they compatible?

Granger2

Veteran
Norkali,
I'm not sure about nemacidal effect of Met 52. I'd be interested to know. Most insecticides will kill nematodes in the soil. I know that Azadiractin, and Spinosad are nemacidal. The sellers of benecicials, such as Buglogical, Arbico, Natures Control can probably tell you. If you find out, please share the details. Thanks. -granger

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wave:
ive been checking over everything bayer has to offer to help us... ive just never seen this before.
2 in 1 Insect Control Plus Fertilizer Plant Spikes
full_size_3up_701710A.png

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insect...1-insect-control-plus-fertilizer-plant-spikes

they are insect control stakes.
it has 2.5% IMID, which is the highest ive seen any over the counter bayer product (not merit obviously). these stakes are used to get the pesticide right to the roots. it looks like it would be pretty effective.
ive also been seeing the granular versions on some products (bayer complete, tree and shrub, grub killer) ill grab some granular shit to amend into the soil along side several other things.

has any one seen. or tried these stakes before??
amazon.com has a bunch of great reviews on them. plenty of people say this product took care of their root aphid issues... im gona get some soon!

Last edited:

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
inreply - i saw that video, good luck!! that thing looks nasty.

...:tumbleweed: has no one tried these other products or stakes?? im about to order some stakes. they look like theyd be pretty effective, putting the insecticide right at the root zone.

i grabbed a few things to hold me over till an order comes in.

i wanted something granular to stay in the soil as it dried. so i grabbed bayer complete insect killer granular.
full_size_5up_Bayer-Advanced-Product-List_700288S.png

i also grabbed some insecticidal soap.
blue_original_706230A.png

i also grabbed a bottle of zero tolerance. its got a different smell to it. but it is organic, and has clove oil in it. and aphids do not like garlic.. it could be me wanting things to be better so bad, but it looks like things are abit better. its hard to say what exactly it is, bcuz im trying afew new things at once. i got the zero tolerance acouple days before the bayer complete granular and insecticidal soap... ill always post what i get and how it works. i just hope we find what actually works, and fast!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts