What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

stuntedgrowth

my clones - if they have roots - they don't know they are young - they want - and will take full strength nute and are treated as "adults" (Because they are) - If your getting weak clones - they are probably sick before you got them so like you said - don't go there

Seedlings - if your starting seedlings in a bug outbreak,,,, you have more issues than bugs.

oh yea,, 4 harvests under your belt,, thats right. You know it all huh????

Me? I been going strong for over 15 years - and I'm still learning.

Cause every fucking time I think I know it all,,,, I get a new lesson.

....... I was taking a shower going,, 10th and Colfax,,,, 10th and Colfax.... 10th runs parallell to Colfax
I want a bud of what your smokin!!!!!
On second thought,,, you are prolly one of those "lightweight types"
nevermind......

Yeah, I meant 10th and federal.

And I never professed that I 'know it all' or even know that much. I have educated myself well and learned from my novice mistakes, but as a master mechanic I know where that know it all attitude gets you. I am only trying to learn more. I find your condescending attitude discouraging.

I wish I had room for a mother plant, but I do not, so I must rely on clones from outside. I know for sure that these damn aphids came from sense of healing(they refunded my cash). If you have any suggestions where I can get good clean clones I am all ears.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
So I got em again.
This time in soil.
Still have to identify it for sure, caught a little fucker. Make sure it's not Gnats.
Doing a mostly Organic run.

Anyone know if there is a good way to get them (control or eradication) in soil?
Nematodes?
Lots and lots of BB, EWCT?
Or is chemical application the only way to kill these fuckers.

Regarding medium drying out between watering to keep them at bay and from becoming fliers:
Repotted from 5" squares to 5 gal fabric pots.
My shit dryed out between watering, and when one of the pots (5gal) was moved to the other room, four cracks developed between the 5" square and the sides of the pot. Like little canyons.
Then the fliers came crawling out, 6-10 in total.

Part of me think the drying out may have prompted them to transform. OP talks about stresses inducing the transformation, but wouldn't drying out the medium 'stress' the population?

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
That's just RMH, don't take it personally.
:blowbubbles:

Precisely.

Thanks Red,

Sorry - stunted, - I was figguring you could grow some skin wilst we get you ginning. I can gladly shine you on.

Growing is not as easy as it looks, but it's easy to make it a LOT harder than it needs to be.

Tip - Search Raido Shack "Pocket Microscope" and next time you go clone shopping - first bug you see - leave. And spend some time looking - if one has a bug - they all will.

Now figgure out how to get "de-bugged" before you go to the next place.

Better yet start looking for somebody you can trust. That's not easy either, but it saves time later.

Yeah - I get touchy when the garden isn't right too.

Sorry.

stuntedgrowth

Ok guys, I'm freaking out. Today I found little white specs, mic'd 'em and indeed they are larvae, could find no big aphids anywhere only larvae. Some dead, some not dead. I dosed 12 days ago with T&S at 2/ml per gal.

Ok, so before I proceed:

Should I dose at a higher dosage? What dosage would you recommend for DWC? 10-17/mls?
Should I wait a few more day and see if any live ones are left?
Are these just left over eggs that hatched and larvae just need to feed before they die?

RMH has me super paranoid of creating a super resistant aphid.

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Ok guys, I'm freaking out. ...

I find your condescending attitude discouraging.

Bubba,, Your kinda hard ta please huh???

Ok,,, tell me now,,, just which do you find to be a bigger discouragement,,,,, a condescending attitude or bugs in your garden???? Still.

So should I ask how that "Light Treatment" idea is working for ya???? now?? And can ya see why I tend to get a condescending attitude when I hear these words AGAIN???? - No - your not alone. or the first. But on the bright side - Fear can speed learning.

If I was you, and I didn't want to get discouraged,, - I'd go back a few pages and read about the discussion on dilution rates - the minium was about 5ml gal and went up to 15ml. I started at 5ml then used 10ml. --

There is a search feature near the top of the page - It can be your friend. There are several threads about Root Aphids and Imid.

It will take multiple lifecycles for bugs to aquire immunitys. Usually. You may have resistant strain to start. Who knows???? Why take a chance???

1/2 strength is ok for nutes. In fact- usually better. SOMETIMES,

But when it comes to bugs --- welll your getting the idea.

Understand a little better now?

Friend.

sneakinman13

Veteran
just wondering what amount of bayer you are using in your coco?!? similar to soil or what? couldnt find a response here. thanks

stuntedgrowth

But when it comes to bugs --- welll your getting the idea.

Understand a little better now?

Friend.

Thank you. I'm starting to.

Going with a 10 ml per gallon running through my DWC system for 18 hours, then flush with florakleen, then fresh nutes. PPM is 600 so they shouldn't burn. We will see how they look in the morning.

tester

Your "gnats" may actually be winged versions of the aphids living on your roots!!!

images

[Above: Fungus Gnat]

images

25832I-HO-DPLA-AD_004.jpg

****Both the prominent black creatures in two above photos: Adult, female, WINGED ROOT APHIDS!!!!****

Those are not "winged root aphids", just ordinary leaf sucking aphids.

Pic 2:
aphid%20winged.jpg

A winged adult aphid on sweetpotato

(Link to original source)

3rd picture:
I-HO-DPLA-AD.004.jpg

Rosy apple aphid winged adult.

RetroGrow

Veteran

That's a load of crap. Don't worry about resistance.
Kill those bastids before they spread.
Imid is the answer.
End of story.
Also, if you are using hydro system, you can use Imid as a foliar spray with same results.
That's how farmers use it.

Last edited:
Hey All.

Just wanted to jump in and say I have been using Botanigard ES at 1oz per gallon and I see almost no activity after trying almost everything available.

I personally refuse to use "Imid". After doing a bit of research on my own, I am convinced I would not want to smoke that bud.

Won't say I am rid of them until I examine my "stumps" but I haven't seen a flying adult in almost a week and thats a record for me. I did two soil drenches.

IMO..RA come from organic potting soil and organic potting amendments. I believe mine came from a bag of GH's Ancient Forest. It was the only thing I changed prior to getting RAs. No outside clones, hospital clean...etc....etc.....and there they were. Damn organic amendments.

MojaveMama

Oh God. I thought they were fungus gnats. Couldn't figure out why Gnatrol wasn't doing it. Scoped them today. Got them both in veg and flower rooms. Devastated. An I thought spider mites were bad!

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Who else noticed a flavor change in affected flowering plants???

ALMOST like mold, without the mold.

Well im sad to say im back to visit this thread and report that these bastards are back. i am running individual DWC buckets and treated them when they were in veg with bayer tree and shrub, bayer complete and spectracide triazicide. things looked great for a while but then i started seeing the brown edges of leaves at the top middle and bottom of the plants in flowering.

for anyone that remembers my previous posts about treating the DWC buckets, i really thought i went overboard. i cant believe these things are back. i cant understand where they are coming from. when i treated them before, there were gnats in my veg and flowering rooms. not many but there were some and i thought maybe this is how they are spreading. After the bayer and spectracide treatments, i also used some mosquito dunks i had to get rid of the gnats. gnats are gone and have not seen one in weeks.

i am so discouraged now i dont know what to try next. how do these things spread when there are no fliers??

RetroGrow

Veteran
Well im sad to say im back to visit this thread and report that these bastards are back. i am running individual DWC buckets and treated them when they were in veg with bayer tree and shrub, bayer complete and spectracide triazicide. things looked great for a while but then i started seeing the brown edges of leaves at the top middle and bottom of the plants in flowering.

for anyone that remembers my previous posts about treating the DWC buckets, i really thought i went overboard. i cant believe these things are back. i cant understand where they are coming from. when i treated them before, there were gnats in my veg and flowering rooms. not many but there were some and i thought maybe this is how they are spreading. After the bayer and spectracide treatments, i also used some mosquito dunks i had to get rid of the gnats. gnats are gone and have not seen one in weeks.

i am so discouraged now i dont know what to try next. how do these things spread when there are no fliers??

Use a foliar spray of imid.

cyat

Veteran
didnt have good luck with the c.i.k., using the rose 2in 1 granules now after one watering they wont touch the soil. been using immmunox on the plants that kills the flyers, and if I see one I'll hittem with the raid that dosent harm plants( it doesnt)
these fuckers caused more damage in hydro, they fly in the fuckin rocks

RockyMountainHi

Veteran
Mama - I suspct you didn't interupt the lifecycle - they have to not reach repoductive age thru a compleate from egg to death lifecycle. Miss any group and they will return.

Hydro application are very suceptable to re-infestation if you reuse any media, tanks or any other place they can hide. (soil too I would guess)

And perpetual harvest seems to be a challange again.

As was said above - the bastards with wings are coming from overgrown plants - ya gotta be alert!

remember:

Be Alert - the world needs more lerts. - that's a joke,,,,,,

Last edited:

gardenbug

I've caught flyers that appear to be fungus gnats. Small ass and short wings. They are somewhat easy to clap and get stuck on sticky traps. They do walk fast and seem to be aware of me, so I'm not sure. Are fungus gnats aware at all?

I've also noticed what looks like crawlers in the soil. Do the crawlers jump? Mine do.

Latest posts

Latest posts