What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Sativan

I noticed the infestation when I thought my plant was suffering from the heat. I sat it in the windowsill and noticed microscopic fliers popping up and going back into the soil.

What really worked was removing the top 2-3" of soil. That removed 95% of them.

After treating this heavy infestation my plant still looks dead. It's alive but the effects were devastating.

Sativan

The damage my plant incurred caused the leaf tips to curl down and wrinkle.

It stopped growing.

I feel guilty when my ladies are attacked by pests. I must have done something wrong!

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Methinks you learned some valuable lessons:

Neem oil drenches probably did more harm than good on your already damaged roots.
Removing the top few inches of soil further damaged the roots (caused more harm than good).
The nutrition in the replacement soil was probably not a "plant available" form.
Sometimes, too many cooks in the kitchen can spoil the broth.

the gnome

Veteran
I'd prefer to used biological controls but I don't have that much cash at the moment.

anyone use og biowar root pak?
Ive heard it takes care of em 100% another peep sez doen't do a thingg.... :chin:
I'm not infested but I catch flyers in the sticky trap.
not alot but they're there and if nothing is done i kno infestatin is around the corner.
the plants in bloom are let to dry out completely
that seems to control the population, but not ideal for the plants potential

D3pthCharg3

anyone use og biowar root pak?
Ive heard it takes care of em 100% another peep sez doen't do a thingg.... :chin:
I'm not infested but I catch flyers in the sticky trap.
not alot but they're there and if nothing is done i kno infestatin is around the corner.
the plants in bloom are let to dry out completely
that seems to control the population, but not ideal for the plants potential

Hey Gnome, I hate to say it but if you have flyers, you have an infestation in your rhizosphere. Flyers are the aphid colony's way of re-infesting another container. When the colony increases in size and is at risk of overpopulation, flyers are sent out to 'scout' new locales. Have you popped a plant out of its container to take a peek?

Granger2

Veteran
Using the Root and Foliar together at 4 tsp/gal each will get results. You cannot just use it once though. Good luck. -granger

the gnome

Veteran
Hey Gnome, I hate to say it but if you have flyers, you have an infestation in your rhizosphere. Flyers are the aphid colony's way of re-infesting another container. When the colony increases in size and is at risk of overpopulation, flyers are sent out to 'scout' new locales. Have you popped a plant out of its container to take a peek?

no, haven't yet.
reason i say it's not an infestation... yet
the plants in bloom are fine, no mystery issues.
they were root dunked with spectracide/triazicide.
also i kept the plants dryer than Ive ever done before,
I think that may have had an effect on them spreading like wildfire.
dunno but i'm a few wks from chop and don't have stock to fill the bloomroom and will shut it down with get everything super clean and pest free.

Using the Root and Foliar together at 4 tsp/gal each will get results. You cannot just use it once though. Good luck. -granger

ok, so foliar is used as a root dunk along with the root pak?
i have the root pak on the way.
Q, does it actually kill RAs?
if so how? no pesticides in it?
or does it break the life cycle?
once I'm RA free does og biowar act as a preventative measure.
I'd really like to use it instead of the spectracide, plus it's seem to be a healthy thing for the plants root system

thanks again guys

:smoke:

Granger2

Veteran
Yes it kills RA's. OGBW has the fungi that's in Met 52 and the fungus that's in Botanigard. I use it as a preventive. I plan to continue using it monthly for the duration. It is good as a probiotic for healthy roots. Good luck. -granger

the gnome

Veteran
Yes it kills RA's. OGBW has the fungi that's in Met 52 and the fungus that's in Botanigard. I use it as a preventive. I plan to continue using it monthly for the duration. It is good as a probiotic for healthy roots. Good luck. -granger

ok,1 more Q about the foliar pak,
I assume it's sprayed on leaves to kill any above ground RAs

woolybear

Veteran
been dealing with fungus gnats for years. never really took em seriously. they killed my latest batch of seedlings and pretty much pooped in my face so i took another look at the issue.

for my latest batch of seedlings, gnatrol + sm90 has finally taken care of them. Its probably due to gnatrol, as I had never tried the stuff before. Bought a ziplock bag of it off of ebay.

Also, physical controls, i.e. keeping the tent door closed to keep foreign fliers out, would not hurt.

edit: per the advice earlier in the thread, i also covered my adult plant's pots to prevent fliers from flying in. Thank you icmag

the gnome

Veteran
I have big bottle of tengard sfr, active in it is permethrins,
it's a synthetic pyrethroid that is made to mimic the chemical properties of naturally-occurring pyrethrins. When target pests come in contact with the direct spray or dried spray residual, permethrin attacks the central nervous system,
aphids are listed as a target pest on the label.

I use it for fleas, spray the yard down one time in late spring and it really keeps the fleas down to a minimum.
there's even dilutions rates to use on your animals and bedding areas.
anyone use it for RAs?
it's also used for in ground us for termites so it can be used against the flyers also.
seems like its a better chem to used instead of hevy duty stuff like imid forbid avid etc etc

BubbaBear

Its definitely safer than avid but it doesn't break down rapidly like pyrethrin. It can take over a 100days to break down in soil. If you use it in soil make sure your soil if very aerated and use plenty of microbe teas to help it break down quicker.

the gnome

Veteran
100 days eh
not what i wanted to hear
I was hoping it was something to use in bloom.
just better to use the real thing, pyrethrins
I had a qt bottle of tengard laying around, guess I'll keep using it in the yard for fleas
which it does a fantastic job for you IC'ers with flea probs
I use hotshots kitchen bug spray w/pyrethrins in the kitchen and the veg-garden for flying pests.

Hello everyone I'm new to growing and found this gnat looking bug today in my garden. Having trouble determining what it is is it an aphid or a fungus gnat or could of I just happened to get a real gnat in there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20171016_112827.jpg
    20171016_112827.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20171016_112839.jpg
    20171016_112839.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20171016_112904.jpg
    20171016_112904.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20171016_115326.jpg
    20171016_115326.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20171016_115451.jpg
    20171016_115451.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20171016_115610.jpg
    20171016_115610.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 21

Granger2

Veteran
Can't tell from photos. If the abdomen is long and narrow it's a fungus gnat. If it's stubby and has 2 like tailpipes it's a RA. Good luck. -granger

Yea I kinda smashed it a bit so it's hard to tell I have scoured the plans and haven't seen or found any other type of bug plants are healthy with growth some yellowing spotty leaves on a couple checked those even closer looked around on top part of my coco couldn't see anything.I also run coco and h2o2 in my res I have been told that kills bacteria and keeps pests away so I'm not real sure thank you for the help and info though

Here is a better photo just wanna make sure I'm judging this right I think it is just a fungus gnat but anyone know for sure if I'm right or can tell from photo?

Attachments

• 20171018_213410.jpg
    20171018_213410.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20171018_213511.jpg
    20171018_213511.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20171018_205344.jpg
    20171018_205344.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 19

Miraculous Meds

Here is a better photo just wanna make sure I'm judging this right I think it is just a fungus gnat but anyone know for sure if I'm right or can tell from photo?
its a fungus gnat. I like gnatrol, but mosquito dunks work too. once or twice a month as a preventative, or twice a week to treat an infestation.

its a fungus gnat. I like gnatrol, but mosquito dunks work too. once or twice a month as a preventative, or twice a week to treat an infestation.

Should I put the mosquito dunks in my flood table with the runoff? No infestation that I can tell just found a few of them I run h2o2 I have read alot of people saying that kills the larvae so maybe that's why it hasnt got out of control on me. Do you know does the h2o2 trick work to keep them away? Thanks for the response and the help greatly appreciated

Miraculous Meds

idk. but h202 keeps algae growth dowm, and that would reduce their fod source.
It wouldlnt be a bad idea to use the dunks. You likely have some larvae in the root zone.

If the one or two gnats your finding aren't multiplying, then maybe your in ok shape. Id use bti though.