What's new

Fuck bics and any other lighter for smoking Bud

Bumble Buddy

Where'd you get yours mycall? I've left mine on for hours at a time, no problems here, seems well built and works amazingly well.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I mostly like the presentation, but I find it to be hazardous to the planet. My bic lighter heats up instantly and I don't have to burn through 20 seconds of coal or electricity to light my bud. I think you can get a wood burning kit for about 10 bucks. Hey, but at least you're not sucking up all the butane, and that's what really matters here. I think I'll start carrying a magnifying glass, just to say I've used one to burn something other than ants and newspapers.

S

socioecologist

sorry but if you can't taste the hint of butane from pulling a tube your smoking straight swagg.

Undergrad accountant: You buy your pot from someone else, but you are calling folks out here who don't agree with you "swagg" [sic] smokers. I don't taste butane when smoking from my bong; I taste the best pot I've ever smoked (from my own two hands). There is a difference between vaporizing (I use an Evolutions v7), the clean lab-grade glass (same as roor, only hundreds cheaper) single chamber bong, and my small pipe. But you know what? I rarely use the vaporizer, because I love to smoke from the bong. If it doesn't taste fantastic there, I don't keep the plant--very simple. The vape is for special occasions. When it's this good, you don't need fancy smoking tricks. You'll get there dude, have patience.

every person I've shown it to in person has said the smoke tastes notably better as if they were using a vape.
If you present your case to friends the same way you did here, I do not doubt they agree--but only to get you to STFU. I do appreciate the information, just don't think it needs to be so vehemently defended from criticism.

tony u cant compare a crown vic to a bmw versus a bic to a hakko...

and as far as i know, german roors wont get you any higher than a "sub par piece". im sure it'll be a hell of a lot smoother but wont get you any higher. what is a sub par piece by the way? to me its a halfbroken piece or maybe those mini bongs that you burn your eyebrows with when you try to hit em.lol.
but i spent about 20 bucks on a decent little sherlock.. is that subpar?

Bumble Buddy

I must say, I'm very happy with my Hakko Dash model N454. Hakko specifications say it operates at 450°C (842°F) and is rated at 25W, I measured it in use and it only consumes 20W. Heats up fast and is usable in seconds, red hot in ~20 sec. It seems well built and is well balanced, nice hand feel with a silicone grip that doesn't get hot. I haven't noticed any wear on the ceramic tip from light contact with the screen. I have left it on for several hours at a time and encountered no problems, the specifications do not list a maximum run time as far as I could tell. A holder of some sort is necessary, a fire could easily be started by an iron coming into contact or nearby some combustible material, the iron will tend to roll and tip if not set in a sturdy holder.

I've been using a glass bubbler with a screen in the bowl, found that the screen helps to conserve herb as I was sucking a lot down the stem. I'd been using a butane lighter previously. I had no expectations going into my trial of the ceramic tip iron, just knew I wanted something better than lighters... the first thing I noticed when using the iron was a much greater appreciation of the herb flavor :yummy: Next I noticed that I was getting much higher off smoking the same amount of herb.:smile: The herb I have is a bit on the moist side and was difficult to light and fully burn a bowl with a lighter, with the iron it is no problem to polish off a bowl completely to ash. Not sure why the iron works so well, maybe the way the heat is applied allows for greater decarboxylation and a more gradual combustion?.. don't know, but it works extremely well. These ceramic element irons have been around for years, wish I'd known about this "other" usage sooner!

Mr. Tony

Veteran
dude all you guys who say the butane from a bic doesn't make a difference really need to try it. there is no comparison what so ever.

Sleestak

Or least try out a torch w/clean tane. Both taste way superior to traditional lighters. The difference is much more pronounced if you use a torch/hakko for awhile and go back,,, the bitter chemmy (not good kinda chem) taste is pretty obvious.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
haha this thread makes me smile everyday.

Tony you need to get a sponsership from those fuckers for advertising for free all the time haha.

Other than tony being pushy haha ive been 100% happy with my hakko. I have yet to smoke a bowl with butane since, and have had no problems leaving it on for a few hours.

I think the way it cherries the bowl is what makes it better than a bic. You conserve buds and there is a slight taste difference. Also its works good on keif.

Overall its definitely necessary for a enthusiast for flavor. thanks tony.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
Johnny bring an interesting point once you smoke with a hakko you never go back, yo. Lighters sound totally nasty to me right now, even when I thought my hakko was going to stop working I didn't want to go back to lighters.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
have you guys noticed when someone else hits your bong with a lighter you just automatically think about the butane in the bong haha

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
Wow, if I've never seen some rice cake eatin, patchouly wearin, marathon runnin, save the world mo fo's I have now. If you aint vapin then this is the dumbest topic ever.

Really, I'm not a hater, but I couldn't help LMFAO at this one. If your smokin the bud and not vaporizing then the couple fliks of your bic have been cancelled out.

Sorry guys/gals, Mad Luv, but this is one for the books, as far as unecessary storage space goes.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
I think when i smoke hash i get the most butane taste out of everything.....

oh and i had my first hakko burn today. it hurts like shit.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
I think when i smoke hash i get the most butane taste out of everything.....

oh and i had my first hakko burn today. it hurts like shit.

Oh dear. You gotta be careful with that shit b, whered you burn yourself? If it was the face, sympathy squared.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
haha i fell off my desk and i tried to catch it. at least i was able to keep it off the apt carpet. i would rather burn my hand