What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fruits from the wild: Breeding with pure sativas Mextiza and Ghana

OnceUpon

dedicated to the art!

finally got to test a bit of lighty seeded mextiza. lovely. i think you're in the right track with the these hybrids

Carraxe

Veteran
This is the Jack Herer Mextiza I selected from more than 50 seeds. Very strong, tasty and fast. It's been flowering for 8 weeks but I'll wait till 9.

Much tastier than Jack, and smellier than Mextiza. Also produces more, and shines with resin. A very nice plant.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
In my latitude, the day is already long enough to take the mothers outdoors.

I usually hide them in the green mass I use to grow, between tomatoes, ipomoea, sunflower, etc. Plants grow nicer, greener, faster and stronger, and spider mites disappear outdoors.

Turning off my vegetative lights is also very good feeling.
Tomatoes are still little.

But cat mint is already a very good bush to hide my mothers.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Just a couple of Red Snake males I keep. They are now flowering, I want to freeze some pollen to pollinate a couple of females that stand out.

The Colombian Punto Rojo influences a lot the cross. Effect, taste, bud structure, are quite different to related plants I already know, like Mextiza.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
My (Jack Herer-Mextiza) x Ghana plants.

They look good under the sun.

I wonder what smell they will have, and if they will be as slow as Ghanaians or the hybridization will have its effect on harvest time. I hope to have some bitter lime and some 12 weekers between the plants.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
A couple of months ago I made a new cross I believed that would bring new life to the Mextiza strain. I crossed my selected Jack Herer Mextiza plant (selected between more than 30 females, although all of them were very similar) with pollen from a Old Mextiza male.

So I've made a kind of backcross using different lines and using my Jack Herer. I've been working with this Jack for years, she doesn't throw in any strange flavour or smell, just boosts the ones that are already there. Effect is all in the brain, you can't feel body numbness.

The Jack Herer Mextiza were very good and very similar to Mextiza. I believe this new cross (3/4 Mextiza, 1/4 Jack Herer) will provide with the high and the smell of the Mextiza and some new vigor, so probably some effects due to inbreeding could be solved. Let's see.

In a couple months I'll start growing the seeds.

Cheers

CARCHOFA

Nice work you are doing with sativas mate! I alway say that we have to do what we like to, so there is no better way than growing the varieties that we enjoy. Sativas make you enjoy daytime I think, doing things more or less creative, exercise... And indicas are more usefull to relax and to take a brake.
Doing this cross surely you will add vigor to your favourite weed, now it consists in fixing what you like.

Carraxe

Veteran
I've just planted the last Mextiza seeds I made some years ago with a male I found and a selected F1 female from the original stock.

They are about a hundred, but most of them won't sprout.

I want to select some females to keep for my future works, and some males as well. I don't think that it makes much sense to keep crossing this strain with itself, due to the problems caused by endogamy, but I believe that the different backcrosses could help to keep the best of it.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've revegged the Senegal female I selected. In a month I'll make clones. She takes about 14 weeks and produce hash tasting buds with enormous calyxes and lots of resin.

In the medium branches, new sprouts are clearly visible.

In the upper buds there is a lot of resin. I cut the top to smoke some of it. It also looks that takes more time to grow sprouts in the buds, it's been revegging for 6 weeks.

I have also selected a Senegal Angola from the same origin, and they are more compact but they look similar in flavor.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I have problems with my camera, so I had to take some shitty phone pictures to keep the thread going. Summer grow with spider mites... and still I can't complain much, plants don't do bad.

This is the selected Angola Senegal after near 7 weeks flowering. My god, that is slow.

And this one is the only (Jack Herer x Mextiza) x Ghana that happened to be female. I have just checked and she's been flowering for nine ******* weeks. Overfed and all, what a freak!

I'll try to revive the thread, or maybe make another one for the great sativa descendants I'll grow soon.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
La Bella. A real nice sativa, I can't believe she has already started flowering. Never seen such a fast sativa.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've successfully revegged and cloned my selected Senegalese. I love the effect and the flowery hash smell and taste, but it takes a lot of time to mature.

I'm going to cross her with Mextiza for sure. I have several pollen jars in the freezer.

Flowering has started, but I'll have to move her indoors. There is no chance of finishing in this latitude.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
I've pollinated the Senegal with frozen Mextiza pollen. Let's see in the next days if the pollination worked.

These are some of the tips of a Jack Herer Mextiza outdoors. This year is bad for funghi. I'll harvest this one in a couple of weeks. Mextiza is being slower this year.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Some pictures. Indoor is getting better as temperatures come down.

I've got some Angola Senegal that started flowering less than 3 weeks ago and they are starting in a explosive way:

This is the top of an Angola Senegal that was flowering through the summer, so the looks are worse. She has been flowering about ten weeks, so the end is near.

And this is the selected Senegal pollinated with Mextiza. It looks that the pollination worked, so it will be a new sativa crossed with my Mextizas.

Cheers

Carraxe

Veteran
Nice work carraxe. That angola senegal looks like a winner. The senegal i ran was one of my favorites.

Thanks for the support. I don't really know the origins of both the Senegal and Angola strains, they come from a legendary Spanish breeder who died more than ten years ago. Although we believe they are really based in Senegalese and Angolan strains, we also suspect that at some point he used some sativa hybrids (probably from the Netherlands, that was what we had in the 90s in Spain) to reduce flowering time.

Some of the characteristics of these strains are typical of hybrids, like the amount of resin and the size of the calyxes. And the effects are very sativish, but much better than those of landraces.

Cheers

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Cool man! I'm curious on that Senegalese, I bet the cross with the Mextiza could be a nice tasty smoke as well.

Best.

Carraxe

Veteran
Cool man! I'm curious on that Senegalese, I bet the cross with the Mextiza could be a nice tasty smoke as well.

Best.

Yes! I want to know how the mix will work. Which one will dominate? How will affect to the flavor? This Senegalese weed is very special and the flavor is very subtle, hashy and floral, but Mextiza is very tasty.

Also the maturation time, will the siblings mature in 9 weeks or in 12? or somewhere in between?

I'll let you know.

First I'll grow the Bella Mextiza and the Tijuana Mextiza, that were made in April and they are ready. When I finish with the flowering and selection of old Taskentis I'll start with these crazy sativas.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts