What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

From start of cloning to harvest 13 week scrog

packerfan79

Veteran
You grow your own spidermites, man I always have to wait for the clone guy. if I get lucky might get some free powdery mildew. Lol

Unclecrash

Hi Itch sounds like your having some hair raising moments up there! Having a bit of trouble running jacks. Im watering morning and evening trying not tohave much run off salt is building from 1.2 ec to 2.0 runoff within four or five days. I use small pans under the plants and been letting them suck up the bit of runoff, could this be doing it? I really need to get the PEK or some drip clean me thinks. Also wondering when you add stuff to jacks . Do you add the additives like they say to add mag after the jackes then the additives then the Cal Nitrate is this correct? My last run was my best in 2gal coco I hit 5.5 dry on eack of 2 up from a couple a piece before that. But I made a bad mistake drying . I had huge nugs which I should have broke down intpo smaller nugs. I through them in a paper bag and check them every day well I started smelling mildew or mold so I quickly pulled them out and broke them all the way down to try and save it. The smell has all but faided away now hoping they smell comes back it seems to be getting better with age only time will tell. A pic of the Critical Kush on Jacks Nutes

Last edited:
I had huge nugs which I should have broke down intpo smaller nugs. I through them in a paper bag and check them every day well I started smelling mildew or mold so I quickly pulled them out and broke them all the way down to try and save it. The smell has all but faided away now hoping they smell comes back it seems to be getting better with age only time will tell. A pic of the Critical Kush on Jacks Nutes

Hope you don't mind me answering, but sounds like the buds might've dried too quickly, hence the lack of smell. I don't know if the smell comes back, it certainly wasn't the case with my first harvest... loads of great weed that smelled and tasted like hay. Hope it gets better for you though.

Unclecrash

They were on day 5 or 6 when I noticed the mildew smell wondering if it was just gassing off N or something and might have been fine but never noticed the mildewy smell before doing them the same way . Other than these were way bigger nugs and cola's, Got a hydrometer coming for the next batch. Im curious if the bag I used this time was contaminated I remember it getting wet back a while ago could have been just sitting kind of dormant and when I chucked my nugs in it all wet it went off.

packerfan79

Veteran
Just hang the branches till the stem just starts to snap, then put em in jars and burp a couple times a day for a few weeks

Unclecrash

Problem is I have a room to hang them but I need to add a carbon filter or im smellin the house up plus the room needs a small fan in it because its all cement and noticed a wierd musty smell to my bud so I went to just bagging the stuff and that worked and the funky musty smell was gone from my nugs until these big ass nuggets messed up my system:) so before I try the other room again I have to get some control for it.

Sqydro

love this thread IC nice one mate

id love to have a huge 5FT mother i could air layer off 5-6 clones knock about 4 weeks of veg and 2 weeks of cutting phase out, game changer really!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Hi Itch sounds like your having some hair raising moments up there! Having a bit of trouble running jacks. Im watering morning and evening trying not tohave much run off salt is building from 1.2 ec to 2.0 runoff within four or five days. I use small pans under the plants and been letting them suck up the bit of runoff, could this be doing it? I really need to get the PEK or some drip clean me thinks. Also wondering when you add stuff to jacks . Do you add the additives like they say to add mag after the jackes then the additives then the Cal Nitrate is this correct? My last run was my best in 2gal coco I hit 5.5 dry on eack of 2 up from a couple a piece before that. But I made a bad mistake drying . I had huge nugs which I should have broke down intpo smaller nugs. I through them in a paper bag and check them every day well I started smelling mildew or mold so I quickly pulled them out and broke them all the way down to try and save it. The smell has all but faided away now hoping they smell comes back it seems to be getting better with age only time will tell. A pic of the Critical Kush on Jacks Nutes
I run off about 10 to 15 percent and dont let the plants soak any of that up. I add in this order potassium silicate, drip clean, jacks, calcium nitrate and then acid. If I add anything else it is added just before the acid is added.

The way I dry would not work for most people. I dont water the last day and then dry the entire plant pot and all. It takes me about 2 to 3 weeks to finish drying. But my is is 45 to 50% RH and about 75 degrees. And it is moving all over because I have three fans going in a room that is only 35 square feet.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
love this thread IC nice one mate

id love to have a huge 5FT mother i could air layer off 5-6 clones knock about 4 weeks of veg and 2 weeks of cutting phase out, game changer really!

Glad you like the thread. Seems to be popular and I am happy about that.

Yes big mothers are the key to good sized air layers. I have them and the room to keep them so it is good for me.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Ok for those who have never seen a air layered plant or have never seen it done here is how I do it.

I use two soda bottles as my cloning container. Inside I use just plain old coco coir. This is real nice as it is also what I use for my plants. Nothing special to have on hand. No root plugs, rock wool, bubble cloner, or ez cloner type set up. Just coco coir and some bottles.

Here is what a air layered clone looks like when it is rooting.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=62323&pictureid=1473568]View Image[/url]

I know nothing fancy right. Well here is a air layered clone compared to some clones taken from the same time and cloned in root riot plugs.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=62323&pictureid=1497987]View Image[/url]

And the same plants in a different view.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=62323&pictureid=1497984]View Image[/url]

Now you see the difference in air layering and cloning in a plug. The plugs are tiny and will take much longer to catch up to the air layered plant. This difference is what I plan to use to do a scrogg with about the same amount of time in veg that a sog has. About one week of veg. For those of you in area that limits the number of plants you can have this cuts 40 plants off of your plant count.

Soon I will post how I air layer so that you can see just how easy it is. And cheap because you really dont need all the extra stuff. But I have to go make cheesy ham potato soup for dinner now.
This has got to be the coolest cloning method I have ever came across.
Ichabod,
:respect:

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
I wish I could take credit for it but it has been around a long time. I only put it in a scrog.

I got that feeling right when I seen it.
It seems like an old Mayan trick or old China.
Still man, good job spreading the word. I have never seen this until your thread. Glad your bringing it back.
Still, much respect.

VERMONSTAH

Glad you like the thread. Seems to be popular and I am happy about that.

Yes big mothers are the key to good sized air layers. I have them and the room to keep them so it is good for me.

I'll be air layering or attempting to air layer within the next few weeks, thankyou ichabod..........that name man still brings me to that sopranos episode where christopher and his cousin are raggin on each other while moving "packages" they had buried. This method will work wonders better than my halfassed ways of cloning!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I'll be air layering or attempting to air layer within the next few weeks, thankyou ichabod..........that name man still brings me to that sopranos episode where christopher and his cousin are raggin on each other while moving "packages" they had buried. This method will work wonders better than my halfassed ways of cloning!

Hope it works for you. Biggest problem I see is using to small of a stem branch to root.

I have never watched the show. Maybe sometime I guess. Got dope to grow.

painter66

hi there Ichabod crane
great thread loads of great info..
please could you give the ppm per gallon of what the 10ml of jacks stock solution (880g per gallon) and the combined 10ml of Cal Nit stock solution (580g per gallon) is when both mixed at 10ml of each in 1 gallon of water please.
many thanks.

M

mugenbao

hi there Ichabod crane
please could you give the ppm per gallon of what the 10ml of jacks stock solution (880g per gallon) and the combined 10ml of Cal Nit stock solution (580g per gallon) is when both mixed at 10ml of each in 1 gallon of water please.
many thanks.

EDIT: My answer was wrong, and my meter needed to be recalibrated. Ichabod's answer below is the correct answer.

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
hi there Ichabod crane
many thanks.

Just the Jacks and Calcium Nitrate come out at about 1.0 EC. So 500 on the 500 scale and 700 on the 700 scale. When I add the other stuff it comes out at about 1.2-1.3 EC or about 600-650 on the 500 scale or about 840-910 on the 700 scale.

Glad you found the thread useful.