What's new

From milking cows to milking the system, Watch me turn my barn into a 7kw-8kw machine

Ok everyone this is 3 years of dreaming finally coming together! I am turning my old milking barn into the grow room of my dreams!! I am going to document my progress from this point on for you guys so I can not only get constructive feedback but also so anyone can learn from it. In the end I will have between 7500-8500 total watts going and crops every 2 weeks. I will lay out how I plan on automating a lot of functions including heat, lights, and ventilation. I will be utilizing the heat from air cooling my hoods to heat my rooms so I only have to use a heater as little as possible. I also plan on setting up a PLC eventually to automate as much as possible. So lets get this party started!

What I have done so far...

100 Amp electrical box installed
24072100amp-med.jpg

No more fuses for me!!
24072fusebox-med.jpg

I Have framed/insulated 3 rooms so far all 12 feet wide. The Veg/Mother/Clone room being 14 feet long,
24072veg1-med.jpg

the middle room(mechanical room etc) being 6 feet long, and the Bloom room being 16 feet long.
24072bloom1-med.jpg

24072bloom2-med.jpg

Framing Pics!^^^^^^^^^

My next update will include the back walls being sheeted, The electrical boxes being installed, the ceilings finished being framed and possibly insulated/sheeted, The veg room inside walls being sheeted, the concrete floor patched, And my super secure doors framed/built

So far just lumber and stuff alone will cost me over 3k.
24072materials-med.jpg

240722x6-2x4-med.jpg

24072miscwire-med.jpg

24072electrical-med.jpg

The new 100 amp box was 2500.00 (with a few other projects done at the same time) and I figure the remaining equipment that I don't already have will cost me another 3-4 grand so this is no small project! I have been working on it every weekend for a month and a half so far with a good buddy of mine's help(more like I'm helping him hes the genius woodworker haha).

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Last edited:

UmphreyMcgee420

Heady Connoisseur
Veteran
sounds like a great setup your working on. Can't wait to see whats going on.
When you uploaded them were the file size to large?
Looking forward to updates and I'll be here to enjoy the show :joint:

Quazi

Hiya Barn Growin'! :wave:

This sounds like a sweet plan. Can't wait to see pics!

:lurk:

Good luck in your travels!

-Q :rasta:

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
looks like a nice project!
I always forget how expensive electrical work is! Dfinitely good to invest in having a pro do it like it seems you did.

count me in for the show

PharmaCan

Veteran
I any of your wiring is running thru the walls, you should run the wires before installing the insulation.

PC

B

badugi

Werd, I'm down. I love ground-up build threads like this. blazeoneup really inspired me with his "Best Damned Grow Show" thread that detailed construction from beginning to finish. Framing pictures are awesome.

I placed all of my receptacles about 7ft above the floor. I agree with PharmaCan, it makes the work easier especially boring holes into the studs. (Too bad my build thread has been deleted.)

I'm loving the replacement of the fuse boxes with the breaker panel. Also dig the fact that you went the extra distance with 2x6's and R-19 instead of 2x4's and R-13. :yes:

If noise is to be of any concern (and I don't anticipate it will be), 5/8" FC drywall on both sides might serve a bit better for sound suppression than plywood.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words guys! This has been a TON of work so far but every weekend on Sunday I just look at the progress made and smile even bigger!

Captain BigBud- YES YES YES ;)

Pharma-Yeah we are running the wires through the ceiling actually and down the beams we made to support the centers of the rooms.

Badugi- First off you play Badugi? Its a fun game! Yeah I plan on running all the outlet boxes high up and a few on the ceilings for the fans,dampers,etc. Yeah those fuses had to go haha. We chose to go with 2x6's for a couple reason one is because of the weight of the existing ceiling already in the barn and also so we could really insulate good I live in a COLD part of the country so I need it toasty without having to spend a ton heating it. That's why I am designing a way to use a lot of the heat from hoods to heat the rooms. Sure we may have over engineered it a little bit but now at least if the barn falls down My room should survive! Noise is not a problem I live in the country surrounded by acres of my property ;) The walls are exterior grade Plywood for security no drywall here like I said over engineered haha!

tgp-I had to replace the old lines going out to the barn and upgrade my main electrical outside on the pole from 2 50 amp breakers one going to my downstairs and outbuildings and one covering my upstairs addition. The guy doing my electrical got a kick out of that one. Now we have 200 amp service throughout the whole property!

Any suggestions for pics? I can take more this weekend.

i can't wait till this is up and running, it's going to be crazy.

so BG are you going all soil, hydro, or mix?

good luck and more pics.

jumping in early on this one, cause it's bound to be GREAT!
and you gotta love grows in the "country" where noise and smell isnt a issue, I know im lovin it!

keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Latest posts