What's new

From Hydro to Schmydro

StickyScissors

Howdy folks -

First time DWC grow here and I wanted to ask for some guidance.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a ph/ppm/tds/ec/? meter?

I've been all over the internet and I'm getting overwhelmed.

What is the most recommended meter to measure all that needs to be measured for a DWC grow?

Thank you all in advance for any recommendations...

cygnus

I prefer a ph drop test from the petshop. I have a 20.00 Hanna pen for ppms it is 6 years old and is still on the original battery.

jimmie

home depot has something called zero water (it cleans your water) it comes with a ppm pen to test your water.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I like the Truncheon meter to measure ppm/ec. Been using it for about 4 years now and love it. Just rinse it off and dry after using.
Most any ph meter will work. Make sure you clean the probe on the ph meter after using. Dry it well and store it in the ph 7 buffer solution after each use. You get what you pay for with these items. Some last a long time some don't.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I prefer a ph drop test from the petshop. I have a 20.00 Hanna pen for ppms it is 6 years old and is still on the original battery.

I'll second this. Even when I have a meter working (I tend to get lazy and put off getting a new probe when the old one buys it) I still use the drops every few goes just to make sure my meter is working correctly.

Drop are CHEEEEAAAAP for what you get. A full bottle for a wide range test (useful in hydro) is under $10 at my hydro or pet shops and will last you a minimum of a year under most use patterns.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nc9092n.gif

Hanna 98130. It's kind of expensive, but worth every penny

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
I have just done a pH drop test for a while now. I'm thinking about buying some good meters, but I don't think I'll be using them much honestly. I don't check on things much because I change my res frequently enough.
If I were you I'd just grab the liquid drop kit for your first grow, then maybe move on to buying the others if you even care at that point. The drops last forever!

Handy DWC tip: If you're doing multiple buckets, mix up your nutes in one large res and pump them to the individual buckets to save you time. DWC was my first grow, and I learned a lot. That idea saved me a lot of time. I think I used a large rubbermaid, but I was only doing (3) x 5 gal. buckets.

Good luck and have fun!

I'll third this. After replacing a couple pH probes at something like $80 a pop I realized I was always checking it with drops anyway. You need to check it to see if it's getting out of cal or dying. pH probes are very fragile instruments and don't last long. Well, at least the average hydro shop variety.
When you're checking and adjusting you never hit the target exactly anyway. The natural pH swings of your res make it impractical too. Not to mention the swings are actually beneficial.
Save yourself the money and get a drop test kit.
As far as TDS I use a Hanna mounted on the wall with a probe in the res. Works great, I almost never need to calibrate it. Usually when I'm especially motivated and go to calibrate it it is right on the money anyway.

i use drops to test ph, i trust them over any meter. i use a hanna tds/ec/ppm/temp meter its lasted me 3 years and the temp portion went out on me, it flashes 32.0F non-stop. ppm still works and i use it almost every day. i'm more concerned with the change in ppm. i try to keep the ppm within a range +-5% of the original weekly rez. it's not important if my meter is off, just that it can measure the change in ppm throughout the week. all i'm saying is buy a cheap meter for tds/ppm/ec and get the drops for ph.

Latest posts

Latest posts