What's new

Friedrich Breeze Mini-split Installation...

Tyga

Veteran
Don't know if this is the correct spot for this...but I just received my 24K BTU Mini-split in and am going to document the installation process for anybody who may be interested.... Good features this model has is the Quck Connect line-set so there is no vacuuming of lines and gauges and whatnot needed for installation. Also depending on your location it also has a Low-Ambient kit built in so it can kick on in the winter with no problems. Heres a quick vid (Props to Ichabod crane) that shows an overview of the installation... Mine will take a few days to get done but I will post up shot's as I go.... :tiphat:
http://www.totalhomesupply.com/ductl...-br1224w3a.htm

Arrival! Indoor/Outdoor unit in same box..
2s9c8xj.jpg

Unboxing of indoor unit... Make sure line set is always supported (Milk crate)
fare51.jpg

Diagram on wall. (3in hole for line set, Mid point, And studs all marked
2n9wd9h.jpg

Wall mounting bracket mounted, Indoor unit hung
23l0gvp.png

Last edited:

Tyga

Veteran
3in Hole drilled, Line-set passed threw the wall...
34obl83.jpg

Line-set passed threw on opposite side of wall
2cpt0lj.jpg

This next part all depends on your situation... Since my indoor unit is located in the basement which will be lower than the outside unit, I needed to cut into the line-set and find the condensate line. For this unit its a rigid white tubing... so I made 2 cuts. First cut was about 6in after the line-set passed threw the wall. My 2nd cut was made about 24in further down the line. Where the 2nd cut was made I located the condensate tube and cut it free from the rest of the line-set. Then I went back to my initial cut and pulled it back threw... Pretty simple. Also you DONT need to make as large of a cut as I did... I was also checking if I damaged the copper lines when I was passing the line-set threw the wall. Thats why so much insulation is pulled back in this picture.
357itd1.jpg

Condensate tube (Drain into 5 gal bucket)
zoby54.jpg

Last edited:

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Sounds good. I'm thinking of ordering one this week. Did you get the 24,000 btu? How many lights do you plan to cool with it?

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
Tyga,
I'm quite keen to watch your progress, since I'm considering a mini-split, and don't want the security concern of outside professional help. I'm on board. Thanks. -granger

A

ak-51

Why do I remember hearing 1 ton / 12000 BTU per 1k? Is that information a figment of my imagination or outdated?

I am considering running a mini-split once it starts warming up. It'll be a while till it's hot enough for me to need one, but better to plan ahead for this sort of thing.

So the lines are under vacuum already and charged with the correct amount of refrigerant. If you have to move the unit, will you have to recharge and re-vacuum? I am not planning on being here forever and I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to move a unit once you've already installed it. I understand that mini-splits are much more efficient than portables, so that's why I was leaning towards that option.

Side question: how sketchy would a window A/C unit sticking out of a basement window look? That would be the easiest solution for me.

MagniKhan

Veteran
Why do I remember hearing 1 ton / 12000 BTU per 1k? Is that information a figment of my imagination or outdated?
My understanding is 3000 btu's for a "air cool" sealed hood, and 4.5-5000 btu's for a bare bulb.

Tyga- How big of a area are you cooling?

Tyga

Veteran

I am considering running a mini-split once it starts warming up. It'll be a while till it's hot enough for me to need one, but better to plan ahead for this sort of thing.

So the lines are under vacuum already and charged with the correct amount of refrigerant. If you have to move the unit, will you have to recharge and re-vacuum? I am not planning on being here forever and I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to move a unit once you've already installed it. I understand that mini-splits are much more efficient than portables, so that's why I was leaning towards that option.

Side question: how sketchy would a window A/C unit sticking out of a basement window look? That would be the easiest solution for me.

The lines are all set charged up and ready to go out of the box... As far as uninstalling it im not sure if they need to be recharged or not.
And A window ac in a basement in my eyes looks a tad sketchy... But then again we are growers so if we seen that of course we woukd say GROW ROOM!! But from the eyes of someone not in the scene idk if they would give it a second thought... Guess it a depends on what kind of peeps your neighbors are and how close they are to you...
If you could somehow conceal it from the outside it could work out... Same shit if you have a compressor located in the ground and the lineset leading into the basement.

P

Puscifer

AK, those quick connect mini's are designed to be dismantled and reconnected without having to vacuum the line set.

Tyga, nice purchase bro. You're gonna be amazed at how quiet they are, both the indoor and outdoor unit. 24k btu for 4k uncooled bulbs is freakin PERFECT!!!
*EDIT* Wanted to add; I've been dealing with mini splits for a few years now. I STRONGLY recommend getting a surge protector type of breaker for the mini. The Achilles are the delicate PC board in the inside and outside unit. Especially the outside unit because the outside unit is what powers the inside unit.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Great thread Tyga, good timing, wondering if you are cooling the ballasts in that room or a C02 generator? Im trying to size a mini split to accommodate the 4k, co2 genny and the ballasts in a 8x12 basement.

Appreciate any opinions you might have.

GS

Tyga

Veteran
Great thread Tyga, good timing, wondering if you are cooling the ballasts in that room or a C02 generator? Im trying to size a mini split to accommodate the 4k, co2 genny and the ballasts in a 8x12 basement.

Appreciate any opinions you might have.

GS

Ballasts will be located outside the room... Co2 genny in the near future budget just wasnt gunna make it happen this go around. To be honest im pretty noobish as far as ventilation and BTU's... I just knew 4K bare would need about 20K BTU and another 4BTU available if I want to throw a burner in there. I figure just oversize your AC a bit and you will be safe.