What's new

Freebies...

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's a great sentiment, but how realistic? Not many possess the knowledge, space, or are willing to accept the risk.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
give them to somebody else. thats the whole point of it, plant a seed in the mind, soul, and garden! Spread the love!
Quoted for truth
That's a great sentiment, but how realistic? Not many possess the knowledge, space, or are willing to accept the risk.
How realistic? I've personally passed out over 5,000 seeds in the state of Michigan. Many where the freebies you so disparage.
For free.

pinkus

Veteran
I've passed out probably thousands of freebies as well. I used to do outdoor winter seed runs just for this purpose in Tx.

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Upon reading literature regarding seed preservation and destructive private, corporate motives I have developed an wholesome understanding of the necessity of maintaining diverse seed stock.

The publications explain why inferior genetic offerings are available to hobbyists and farmers - who personally seek to produce unique, diverse product of their specific taste - because of private corporations - humans - inherent greed. This is the result of individuals desiring greater profits - resulting from cultivars which produce, store, and ship - while breeding away from flavor, diversity, etc...

The authors suggest supporting the local breeders and maintaining reserves of unique genetics which may possibly become extinct.

I understand why these seeds are valuable; It's crucial we maintain diversity for the benefit of home gardeners. Although we must remain diligent, because even the farmers were deceived when mass produced and distributed produce was available in frozen isles; they thought that meant they no longer had to grow that specific crop, for the end product looks just like theirs, but there is no doubt what they grew "was selected for better taste, texture and "mouth appeal" on a very local level" (Deep-Rooted Wisdom, Augustus Jenkins Farmer)

I never understood how many varieties of vegetables - plants - were available prior to supermarkets. Luckily I live in Michigan where farmers markets have educated me; I have been motivated to create my own garden, and learning of the endless benefits of organic.

I do maintain that certain seed distributors provide incentive aside from more free seeds, it appears currently that it's a competition solely revolving around who can give out the most seeds; I desire differentiation of strategy.

Last edited:

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
So you want quality vs quantity?

Understandable, but in cannabis cultivation quality is somewhat an subjective term. What one person considers quality another could call crap, it all depends on what exactly you're looking for.

Each seed is as unique as each person on earth, sometimes it's, the freaks, mutants, accidents and mishaps that make the biggest splash.

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Each seed is as unique as each person on earth, sometimes it's, the freaks, mutants, accidents and mishaps that make the biggest splash.

Like it's evolving/adapting? So the more seeds we grow the more chances it has to evolve/adapt in a favorable manner? Ultimately the more favorable weed we can smoke and grow :woohoo: (notice the "40 year old virgin" adaptation LOL ;) )

I feel the more people grow from seed outdoors and make their own seeds year after year the better, and it should bring the cost of seeds down. How rare can some breeder say the seeds are when he just harvested 10's of millions... I would like to see packs of 50 seeds for $15 or less and it would still be easy to make a ton of money... You would make the indoor breeders chew their nails a bit, but nothing some hype and creative marketing skills couldn't deal with ;^) lol

I also feel it's best to give yourself as many tools as you can fit into your toolbox :) So new/unexpected seeds are always welcome and as many as I can get!!! The more seeds I make that can handle a wide range of pressures, the better for the people I share them with :ying:

What kind of quality can be expected from a plant that has been bred and babied indoors for generations... :ying:

Imagine all the guaranteed sales every year from all the bulk seed orders if somebody had consistent, cost effective, resilient, outdoor bred seeds for all the Nor Cal pot farmers... I guess they have to just keep making their own LOL

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why are there not more seed's sold for specific regions? Why can I not google outdoor Michigan marijuana seeds? Hasn't someone maintained a specific strain within a climate for 5+ years?

One strain wins the awards, correct? One strain the most vigorous, one strain the most pungent, one the largest buds, best hybrid, best... Does one individual contribute more to our society? It seems so; it depends upon how you analyze it. We don't keep the mutant, runts in our gardens; we want the attractive, quality flowers.

Quality I believe we can agree upon, you cannot argue that a strain is not quality. It may not possess the characteristics you desire, but you cannot argue it is not quality. We have established a solid checklist for desirable and undesirable traits, just ask any competent breeder. These individuals have selected from tens, hundreds, thousands of specimens.

Last edited:

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
Why are there not more seed's sold for specific regions? Why can I not google outdoor Michigan marijuana seeds? Hasn't someone maintained a specific strain within a climate for 5+ years?

Exactly!!!

Now that also begs the question... If you had a strain like that would you sell it?

Didn't Sam the Skunkman do that with Skunk#1? Look at his hindsight on the matter :ying:

Everything is a double edged sword in life... :tiphat:

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
One strain the most vigorous, one strain the most pungent, one the largest buds, best hybrid, best... Does one individual contribute more to our society? It seems so; it depends upon how you analyze it. We don't keep the mutant, runts in our gardens; we want the attractive, quality flowers.

That attractive plant may not look so good infested with bugs and full of rotting buds... That mutant runt maybe the queen of the year depending on how nature deals the cards to you ;) Tools in the toolbox :ying:

Everything is a double edged sword... Dont forget those words, ever! :ying:

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't have it all. Everyone has their competitive advantage.

I guess that's why we created the gmo's, but the consequences... as you said...

Ph-patrol

Veteran
Diversity

Diversity

I hear a lot of ideas and one is the discussion of diversify growing and how its a good thing.
Yes I agree this a very good thing.

Having one plant witch is considered the best and grown by all is called mono growing.This is a problem in all aspects of farming today.

The farms choose the most productive apple or potato and only grow that one money making crop and next thing you know a problem arises and all is lost. Mono growing is a bad ideas.It causes manines
To many pests to focus on one species and to many pesticides to defend that one species.
This is what happened to cause the Irish famine. Mono growing one potato called the lumper.

So everyone growing diversified is just another amazing thing about the cannabis community:huggg: