What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

free camping in South west

godsamartian13

me and my boyfriend are driving to california from bonnaroo this summer. we plan on sleeping on couches when we can find them, and camping outside when we can also. minimal spending is our goal. anyone know any places to roll out a sleeping bag in new mexico, arizona or southern cali without having to pay?

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
most of the zillions of miles of open BLM land a person can camp free of charge in cali its 2 wks per spot when the BLM or rangers see ya. ya just move half mile down and n/p in nevada its 30 days per spot just be very careful camping in the desert. theres gold mines silver mines and them ppl dont take kindly to campers around there claims there can also be some very crazy ppl out in the middle of know where. i wouldnt camp with out a firearm outside of that camping in the desert can be very very fun a experince. snakes shouldnt be out yet but in some places they may be startn to stir and wake from thier slumber. just have planty of water and food its quite nice this time of yr

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
In Az. you can camp on BLM or state trust land for 14 dayz for free...as was stated earlier watch out around Claims.
And keep a clean camp the Javelina's will tear up a messy Camp while U R asleep.​

godsamartian13

Thanks guys! Thats really helpful cause we have places to stay up until texas but not through new mexico, arizona, or so. cali really. I don't really know what BLM is though, or do you know if there is a website? i found this one http://www.publiclands.org/home.php, does it look right?

ps. do you know if its easy to find a secluded place to spark a joint in the Grand Canyon?

Hi, I registered just a few day ago. This is my first post....

I live in New Mexico, and there is quite a few places to stay in various parts of the state. Near Albuquerque there is the Sandia Mountain Range. Further north-west, Jemez Mountains, Then further North Los Alamos and Taos, or Santa-Fe. Taos and Santa-Fe are rather safe places for our type... Stop by Taos, and sample some of NM's top Mountain grown weed!

You should not find trouble finding a place to stay while passing through. And enjoy the sights!

Here is an image of the Sandias. Sandia is Watermelon in Spanish.

organmountainspic.jpg

Maj.PotHead

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks guys! Thats really helpful cause we have places to stay up until texas but not through new mexico, arizona, or so. cali really. I don't really know what BLM is though, or do you know if there is a website? i found this one http://www.publiclands.org/home.php, does it look right?

ps. do you know if its easy to find a secluded place to spark a joint in the Grand Canyon?

BLM - Bureau of Land Management heres a link for cali http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23138

new mexico http://www.nmosg.com/Camping/

P

PistachioNut

Good Info.

Good Info.

This is good stuff to hear....I am also planning on traveling around like this in June. I don't know if you have heard of this or not but if you want a night in a house I would check out http://www.couchsurfing.com/
Plus you can just meet people to give you a tour around the area and various thing of the sort. I have met some nice folks through there. Check it!

1G12

Drive to the Grand View trailhead on the South Rim Drive & hike down the trail as far as you dare....take water & remember ya gotta hike back up. Enjoy the views of the Canyon & Horseshoe Mesa below. Just be careful about the Park Rangers....as in any National Park they are just like the cops & they sometimes patrol the trail system with backpacks. Otherwise you could park at one of the overlooks & just walk back into the forest out of sight of the tourists.

1G12

Oh, one other thing....
I think the rule is any time you are on public land, it's ok to camp as long as you are 1/2 mile away from any paved road.

godsamartian13

This is good stuff to hear....I am also planning on traveling around like this in June. I don't know if you have heard of this or not but if you want a night in a house I would check out http://www.couchsurfing.com/
Plus you can just meet people to give you a tour around the area and various thing of the sort. I have met some nice folks through there. Check it!

yeah i've heard of that site before, also i think you can find couches to stay on on craigs list. we were thinking about doing that, but idk how sketchy it is. have you used it before? im sure you meet alot of cool and interesting people.

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
In Indiana you can camp anywhere in the state forest for up to two weeks (like AZ) for free. You do not need a res or anything, and can plop your tent down anywhere off of the trail. Also, these parks are virtually empty.

hazy

Veteran
There is a lot of BLM land out here, but I don't know how you'd tell, unless you had already looked it up on the websites, Maj posted.
On the Reservations you have to have permits at 8 bucks a person I think. Been There Done That.
Fuck them Indians. Then they charge for you to fish, and even if you want to just hike. And the Indian police and rangers do check everyone. Go to state forest land, camp for free.
Maybe up around Sedona or flagstaff. My favorite place is Mingus Mountain up above Jerome. A very cool town by the way. Used to be full of old hippies, probably still is. Googlemaps will give you a look. I'm going to go up and check out the mountain real soon. do a little fishing in the little pond and probably catch not much more than a buzz. Then you could go west over the mountain to Prescott. Nice place.

At Grand Canyon, I recommend taking the free shuttle out to Hermit's Rest. You can get away from the crowd by walking along the rim to the trail head. There's a bench there where I sparked one and enjoyed the view. The rangers do patrol there but they are really friendly as long as they don't catch you in the act. You should be able to see them coming from a long way off. It's a good idea to have plenty of water and some salty snacks with you. Happy Trails

Maj.PotHead

Mentor
Veteran
There is a lot of BLM land out here, but I don't know how you'd tell, unless you had already looked it up on the websites, Maj posted.
On the Reservations you have to have permits at 8 bucks a person I think. Been There Done That.
Fuck them Indians. Then they charge for you to fish, and even if you want to just hike. And the Indian police and rangers do check everyone. Go to state forest land, camp for free.
Maybe up around Sedona or flagstaff. My favorite place is Mingus Mountain up above Jerome. A very cool town by the way. Used to be full of old hippies, probably still is. Googlemaps will give you a look. I'm going to go up and check out the mountain real soon. do a little fishing in the little pond and probably catch not much more than a buzz. Then you could go west over the mountain to Prescott. Nice place.

Mingus Mountain very nice indeed few yrs back i helped my indian medicen man brotha and his mom to cottonwood. i would look up on the MTN and see some rock piles fresh air intake for the old mine approx 6500ft up there be some fine torquise material found there. and Jerome fn way kool place i ate at the haunted hamburger out on the porch which had a very nice view of the mongolin rim :woohoo:. i need a few extra bucks so i can go visit my bro again i really liked it in cottonwood my bro lives in oak creek i think is the name few mins from CW