What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FoxFarm Ocean Forest issue

pheed

I've been struggling with this problem for a long time, and no matter what I try, the same thing happens. Is there anyone out there who successfully grows in FFOF without these problems? Surely someone out there has run into this, because it happens to me every time, regardless of what nutes I use, how I ph, whether I bubble or not... it's always the same result. This is a bit of a mystery, and I hope someone can please help me solve it!

Here's what happens. About 45 days after transplanting, the larger fan leaves starts to show little tiny yellow spots. They spread quickly over the course of just a few days. Then yellow and brown dead patches show up on the leaves, and before I know it, my beautiful plant has gone to pot. lol

I'm attaching pics of my two current plants.

The first two pictures are of my Blue Dream Haze. This plant looked beautiful just ten days ago. Let me break down what I've done so far:

Oct. 30
transplant to 5gal FFOF
1/2tb rhizotonic

Nov. 18
switch to 12/12

Nov. 20
1tb rhizotonic

Nov. 28
1/2tsp soluble seaweed powder

Dec. 8
plain water

Dec. 14
1/4tsp soluble seaweed powder

Dec. 15
2tsp Earth Juice Oilycann and 1tsp hygrozyme
At this point the plant looked beautiful!!!!

Dec. 21
It's at this point that the plant started to show those little yellow spots. I wasn't sure if it was nutes or ph or what, so I decided to cover my bases:
2tsp Earth Juice Oilycann (cal-mag) , 1tb Earth Juice Bloom , 1tsp Earth Juice Meta-K, bubbled and ph'd

Dec. 26
At this point, yellow and brown patches were appearing.
1tb rhizotonic , 1tsp golden tree , 2tsp Earth Juice Bloom , 1tsp Earth Juice Meta-K / 4.5L

Jan. 2
1tsp epsom salt.

Jan. 4
Another tsp epsom salt. The plant has continued to yellow.

And the pics are from today, now at 47 days 12/12 (out of 63).

The other three pics are of my Blackberry plant, which is only at 33 days, but is starting to show the same problems. The curled down leaves happened after I fed it Bloom and Meta-K and cal-mag, but it was already yellowing at that point.

It seems strange to me that everybody doesn't encounter this with FoxFarm Ocean Forest, as it seems to happen to me no matter what I try to do. I really hope someone can help me out!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG922
    IMG922
    62.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 70

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
IMO, signs of false "nutrient deficiencies" usually indicate a pest issue. What I would do is investigate the soil for critters while giving the soil a good flushing with water. Determine which one you have and respond accordingly.

dufous

Don't you always have this problem? How is it different from your yellowing problem of nine months ago in March?

St. Phatty

I've been struggling with this problem for a long time, and no matter what I try, the same thing happens. Is there anyone out there who successfully grows in FFOF without these problems? Surely someone out there has run into this, because it happens to me every time, regardless of what nutes I use, how I ph, whether I bubble or not... it's always the same result. This is a bit of a mystery, and I hope someone can please help me solve it!

Here's what happens. About 45 days after transplanting, the larger fan leaves starts to show little tiny yellow spots. They spread quickly over the course of just a few days. Then yellow and brown dead patches show up on the leaves, and before I know it, my beautiful plant has gone to pot. lol

I'm attaching pics of my two current plants.

The first two pictures are of my Blue Dream Haze. This plant looked beautiful just ten days ago. Let me break down what I've done so far:

Oct. 30
transplant to 5gal FFOF
1/2tb rhizotonic

Nov. 18
switch to 12/12

Nov. 20
1tb rhizotonic

Nov. 28
1/2tsp soluble seaweed powder

Dec. 8
plain water

Dec. 14
1/4tsp soluble seaweed powder

Dec. 15
2tsp Earth Juice Oilycann and 1tsp hygrozyme
At this point the plant looked beautiful!!!!

Dec. 21
It's at this point that the plant started to show those little yellow spots. I wasn't sure if it was nutes or ph or what, so I decided to cover my bases:
2tsp Earth Juice Oilycann (cal-mag) , 1tb Earth Juice Bloom , 1tsp Earth Juice Meta-K, bubbled and ph'd

Dec. 26
At this point, yellow and brown patches were appearing.
1tb rhizotonic , 1tsp golden tree , 2tsp Earth Juice Bloom , 1tsp Earth Juice Meta-K / 4.5L

Jan. 2
1tsp epsom salt.

Jan. 4
Another tsp epsom salt. The plant has continued to yellow.

And the pics are from today, now at 47 days 12/12 (out of 63).

The other three pics are of my Blackberry plant, which is only at 33 days, but is starting to show the same problems. The curled down leaves happened after I fed it Bloom and Meta-K and cal-mag, but it was already yellowing at that point.

It seems strange to me that everybody doesn't encounter this with FoxFarm Ocean Forest, as it seems to happen to me no matter what I try to do. I really hope someone can help me out!!!

FFOF is sometimes too hot for some plants (too much fertilizer, needs to be diluted).

Also, if you add additional nutes to FFOF, it is very important to see what effect that has on the pH of the run-off.

It is possible that the extra nutes are pushing the pH down & some nutrients are not up-taken.

Sort of like plant anorexia.

everydayJoe

Ive been running ffof for about a decade now and saw similar things early on. I believe it is calmag issues. Looks like you didn't feed calmag for almost a month after start of flowering? I start with little amounts (100pm or about half tsp per gal) right at start of flowering weeks after transplant well before any signs of deficiency show. Better to pre load them just a tiny bit before the massive growth spurt. I find plants use a lot of calcium during flowering and ffof does not supply anywhere near enough.

The other trick with ffof ive learned is to monitor soil runoff ppms from the beginning. Runoff with ffof at the start is well over 2000ppm. Then as nutes are used it will drop. Once runoff drops down to 1200 to 1500 i start with nutes and up the calmag to even more healthy doses. I adjust feedings so that i maintain about 1000ppm runoff each watering. Everything is pHd to 6.5.

I also use RO water which helps me keep the nutes and feedings welll defined.

Hope that is helpful mate.

everydayJoe

I should also say that once I started monitoring runoff ppm's, it gave me a really good appreciation for how much nutrients healthy, flowering plants use especially when growing in smaller (3-5g) pots. It's quite incredible actually, particularly when considering we are always told to be very fearful of over feeding so our natural instincts are to underfeed.

So in addition to calmag at every feeding, I'm also feeding Grow Big (high nitrogen...typically veg nutes) and Tiger Bloom (high P...typically flowering food). With everything combined my feeding concentrations are usually ~400-500ppm (starting at 0ppm since I'm using RO water).

Can't emphasize enough how important monitoring runoff ppm's are though. It's the easiest way to know exactly how much food your plants have, and how much they need next time.

I should also say that once I started monitoring runoff ppm's, it gave me a really good appreciation for how much nutrients healthy, flowering plants use especially when growing in smaller (3-5g) pots. It's quite incredible actually, particularly when considering we are always told to be very fearful of over feeding so our natural instincts are to underfeed.

So in addition to calmag at every feeding, I'm also feeding Grow Big (high nitrogen...typically veg nutes) and Tiger Bloom (high P...typically flowering food). With everything combined my feeding concentrations are usually ~400-500ppm (starting at 0ppm since I'm using RO water).

Can't emphasize enough how important monitoring runoff ppm's are though. It's the easiest way to know exactly how much food your plants have, and how much they need next time.

You are absolutely right about monitoring runoff.

This is a good read:

https://www.perfectgrower.com/knowledge/

I'm also feeding Grow Big (high nitrogen...typically veg nutes)

There's the key that you're doing that the OP is missing.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That stuff comes out of the bag way too hot! All these mixes need more Ca.

What pH is your water?

Stop adding Mg. If you think you have a Mg problem, apply foliarly. Same response.

Do not add Mg in MgSO4 (epsom) EVER to the soil!!!!!

Educate yourself. This thread will help.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=331317

Feel free to ask questions, you will see lots of results from growers that had the same issues as you.

And beware of the fertilizer salesman! LMAO They are generally more lost than you are!

EastCoast710

Nothing I see above has anything close to adequate Nitrogen levels. This is surely your problem. You need Nitrogen in flowering.

are u kidding? lol. looks more like cal mag.. and ph problems over nitrogen.. look how dark the remaining leaves are lol..

dude.. mix 50/50 happy frog with your ocean forest.. and water in your light half strength nutes until day 20-30 then up feed as your feed in your ocean forest will be mainly used up..

even tho .. OGW uses straight ocean forest.. and phed water with no nutes. and gets a perfect grow and fade ....

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
99.9% of the time, your plant will respond to gypsum. It will wash out some of what has built up (most problems are excesses, not deficiencies) and give your plant some needed calcium.

Calcium in flowering is critical and it is not mobile in the plant. That means that if your plant can't get it during flowering you will have some pretty airy flower.

Dried milk, a gram or so in water also works wonders applied to the soil...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
slow, I've noticed you have recommended top dressing gypsum on a few threads now. For shits and giggles I am trying a few side by side plants with this. One thing I've noticed is it seems to form a crust on the top of the soil/coco that makes absorption super slow when watered. Is this common?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are the ppms of your water? This normally happens when there is bicarbonates and carbonates. Don't put so much on at once.

You are trying this on coco, real coco, or coco with worm castings, compost, crab, lobster, shrimp, dolomite??? What all ya got in there?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're staying organic, use blood meal to get the N your plant requires.

If you're using water soluble kelp, you don't need rhizotonic.

Good luck buddy.

When all else fails, read the directions.

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/index.php/item/ocean-forest-potting-soil.html

This stuff is full of nitrogen.

That is why I told him to test the ppms and to use the amino acid chelate that has N, Ca and P in it. (Milk)

The foxfarm guys say do not apply N, only their bloom which is P and K only, with no N.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And one more point. Listen to the symptoms. Yellow and brown patches. That is a classic calcium deficiency on cannabis..... he started applying Mg and K AND it got worse. Try one plant with the milk. No more Mg. And then try one plant with a teaspoon of gypsum on one half a plant.

Nitrogen is also antagonistic to Ca.

And one more point. Listen to the symptoms. Yellow and brown patches. That is a classic calcium deficiency on cannabis..... he started applying Mg and K AND it got worse. Try one plant with the milk. No more Mg. And then try one plant with a teaspoon of gypsum on one half a plant.

Nitrogen is also antagonistic to Ca.

There is not enough Nitrogen in that potting mix to sustain the plant. The Nitrogen will be consumed and or leeched quickly. We are talking within a week or two.

It got worse because he is pushing the scales too far in one direction. A plant needs Nitrogen to balance Potassium, and vice versa. These are major elements to the plant. The higher you push K without N, the worse it will get (the same is true of the inverse).

Trust me...I'm not trying to have a pee pee contest, its just very obvious what the real problem is here :)