What's new

For those who smoke daily - feeling detached

F

fuxfish

I agree,try changing up what you are smoking,not all strains work on everything.
I SUFFER from anxiety and depression and when I have waves of detatchment or overwhelming depression the last thing I need is a strong Indica,as they are very introspective and consume you for a few hours.Try a 60-40 sativa.
Anxiety and depression can be battled succesufully with a proper diet and good companion and the right strain.If anyone is having a problem finding good strains for these ailiments P.M me and I can let you know what I have found to be the most affective.

Take Care
FUX

SuperConductor

Veteran
Fear of scizophrenia like you describe made me think of OCD as the only time I've ever heard of it is from people with OCD. It's possible that normally it's so mild it doesn't affect you but the strain you're smoking aggrevates it causing your anxiety. Or like has been said canabis in general will bring psycological disturbances to the fore.

Get a book about cognitive behavioural therapy or get a referal to a therapist who uses it, should help greatly.
The best thing to do when your high and having anxiety i find is exercise or any kind of physical activity to give your brain a rest and get some nicer hormones flowing.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I don't know anyone who became schizophrenic from pot. I DO however know a couple of schizophrenics and a handful of bipolar people that wouldn't be here and stable if it weren't for pot.

I smoke all day everyday medically/recreational, and I have never been more in touch with my fellow man. I'm agreeable, friendly, helpful, etc etc. Considering what the old me was like, I would still be working 80 hours a week and drinking etc staying out all night and day,

But that's me...... everyone's diferent.

F

forsakenangel

I wouldnt really say im detached. I use to let my emotions handle situations and since picking up pot in my adult life i have found im sick of majority of the worlds problems, the greed, the lack of consideration for others and finally trust. I have been screwed over alot and that in turn has caused me to turn bitter towards the majority..even though i feel that way i still open doors for every person im nice and polite but im cautious when it goes further than that. Id like to think of me moving more in sync with nature and ive found animals mean more to me than most people.

joeking

eexpee, it sounds like you could gain a lot from doing exercisies in quieting the mind. Almost all of us have some sort of "mental motion picture" going on at all times. Some peoples movies dwell on things that they fear, others daydream about things they want, it varies.
However, when the movie becomes to much of an internal focus, and you lose touch with the present moment, what I have found is that we often times forget to do the simplest of things, such as breathing. Thus beginning the onset of panic attacks as our internal regulatory system becomes abnormal.
While it may be cheesy, I would strongly suggest you read Eckhart Tolle's books, A New Earth, and The Power of Now. I read the latter of the two first while I was in prison, good stuff my young brother. And if you enjoy those and find them helpful, dig through the archives a little and check out Baba Ram Dass "Be Here Now" and another by an unknown auther Ask and You Shall Recieve. All of these books can help you in quieting your mind and be more attentive to the moment.
Be well
jk

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Oh and I have heard a few docs including a psychiatrist that say for manic depressives, a lot of them don't need a mood stabilizer to space out the bipolar episodes, anti depressant for the depressive episodes and an anti psychotic for the manic periods. Just exercise for the depression, pot for the mania, mood and anxiety.

Good diet is the most important thing for people feeling detached in my experience.

It's hard to be unhappy when your improving yourself. I heard a phrase once, "It's impossible to be unhappy while blowing bubbles. "

freeganja

Bush Doctor
Veteran
Sometimes I feel detached, but I am naturally anti-social. There are certain strains that make me feel more social, like Satori and Mandala #1. Greenhouse White Rhino makes me feel way more detached then usual, and it makes me depressed smoking it for too many days at a time.

eexpee

:) thanks guys for all your support. This is a good board.

I hear people tell me to stop, take a break. Maybe that's a good thing, however, I don't think it will really solve anything. I do strongly believe it comes down to the strain. Occasionally there is a good street weed I will pick up that turns that worry into euphoria almost immediately. I can smoke a strain like that all the time and suffer none of those negatives. It's hard to find a strain that suits however because here in Oz, you don't know what your getting on the street, and I can only grow a limited amount at any time, so it would take me a while to get through any decent number of strains.

About Eckhart Tolle, thanks, I have read both those books and love them. He is always a reference to come back to when I feel I need a little more presence in my life. Sorry to hear that you were in prison when you read them, that sucks to hear.

Also, the strain isn't everything, especially when it comes to depression. There is definitely a correlation between things going on in my life and feeling depressed from smoking. When sober I can suppress most emotions and pretend they aren't there. When high however, if there is something I have been avoiding thinking about, it will jump right out at me, either causing my to think to much about it and get depressed about it, or get anxious about being depressed, almost like running from myself - which is why I never did any good on acid.

Jesus, this thread has gone all over the place and I am losing track of what I am meant to say, haha. I guess then I will also mention I don't usually smoke a lot when I do smoke. Usually 1-3 cones depending on the situation. Usually a lot more when with mates, but as I said before, that isn't all that often.

Oh and, I am smoking a lot of male leaves I gave the chop recently. Chop up the leaves nice and fine, pack a bowl and hit. After 2 I find I am well and truly toasted. Don't believe those who say you can't get high off leaves. Fan leaves too. It works. Maybe it's the higher concentration of chlorophyll causing side effects? Though that is just a half-asses assumtion.

Thanks again guys, another reason to spend to much time on these boards!

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Yea I feel ya, I'm like you, try not to smoke in the day too much cause it leads to smoking weed like all day...but always smoke at night. I'm not the most social person to begin with, I would say it keeps my small group of friends together, but I dont hang out with ppl that dont smoke alot very often, luckily for me my stoner friends are more chill than the rest. But sometimes I do feel kinda paranoid about things I don't know if I should be so worried about, mostly relationship issues as of late, end of a 3 yr relationship but doing the whole kinda seeing eachother thing, not to stray from the original point....

Thing is that I just love smoking and just escaping for a while, as Im sure we all do. I haven't taken a break for quite some time, not sure how long but over a year for sure. But when I have I dont feel any different sober or not. And then I just want to smoke, so Im always torn deciding if it is really worth it or not. Although I will say, if YOU are just not feeling the whole high thing, take a break, can't hurt. Lately I haven't been feeling drinking so much, which is something else I do for similar reasons as getting baked, and also something I do much too often, but idk, just dont have the ambition to stop. sigh

anyway, rant over. much love IC its always a nice place to type stuff out like this and get peoples thoughts.

Last year in October I started smoking herb, after smoking for one year I analysed my behaviour throughout that year and realized it actually did me very well, my social life is certainly booming, I'm a lot more confident and I became very stable and happy.

However, I wanted to prove to myself I could stop whenever I wanted, so I took a month-long break. It was great, smoking after that felt so good. I pretty much smoke every day as long as it 'feels' right. I don't smoke to escape.

eexpee

I don't smoke for an escape, well, not usually because for me weed doesn't cause an escape, infact I find the opposite to be true. I get in my head and think about everything, so any problem going on will be amplified and pondered, unlike alcohol where it is forgotten or just cried over haha.

I don't think that this thread will really continue from here, but if anyone else has anything to say go ahead. Im tired and only writing something short.

eexpee

Well, just letting you guys know, I had a few cones today, i'm feeling pretty good. I stopped for a few days and decided, i've got nothing to do today, lets give it a go. So yeah, some days I get anxious, others I don't. pfft.

eexpee

hempknowsis

This is a subject I think about a lot. I think if ANYONE sat around their house, doing one activity or substance constantly...their overall life and well being are going to suffer. Humans need balance in their life. Good healthy, non-processed foods. Some loving, healthy relationships, sunshine and exercise, interests, hobbies, goals, etc. There's probably a high percentage of smokers that use green to escape from life, to become, numb and detached. This is a bad cycle to get in, like I said, with any substance or activity.

As for becoming detached in the way you're speaking, yeah, I've been there. Smoking too much indica does that to me. I sort of get lifeless, sedated. I aim to make sativas my main choice. Strains that ENHANCE my life, not detach me from it.

Also, if you have legitimate health problems, you might want to look into those, instead of covering them up. Lots of people have endocrine/thyroid problems that when corrected lead to much more well-being.

Latest posts

Latest posts