What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

For those who exhaust into your attic/loft:

lemonade

Veteran
Yea I personally wouldn't vent anywhere inside a house, unless maybe ur just running a tent, or you live in a really dry environment. Condensation and all that. If ya do keep an eye on things regularly. RH of where ur venting. Signs of condensation or mould etc.

Prob better to just vent outside. Use a baffle system if noise is an issue.

Or even better yet step into the 21st century and get an AC! :smokey:

Last edited:

Three Berries

Mine was running through the wall outside at 10F the other day. Huge plume of condensate and it was frosting up spiderwebs in the bushes and gutter. Glad it's mostly at night so not so noticeable.

Wish I'd had use 6" PVC pipe for the exhaust hood. It would mimic the high efficiency furnaces they have around here.

Tomatoesonly

Well, my passive idea was a bust. Went into the attic and there is condensation on the underside of the roof particle board.
At this point I don't have a route that does three things. Gets rid of heat, humidity, smell while being stealthy about it.
If I'm having trouble now, when things take off I'm in deep trouble. I may have to scrap the whole thing till a more appropriate time. This sucks.

Three Berries

Started up a little something. Had my sweet inline in the attic and when I turned it on... it had to break free from ice!! Condensation/hot air was making it's way up and out on it's own.
I'm basically having to rework some things now even though I have active blower pushing attic air outside, I don't feel it has enough capacity for large all at once volumes. I'm gonna let things passively exit into the attic for now, till I can come up with a slightly different idea.
You can't underestimate the condensation. Water is a disaster and plants release a LOT of it.
You should get a dampener on the output, close to the tent. I like the cheap plastic ones but they have to be horizontal. The flower tent ha a 6" one that the fan is connected to. It's spring loaded and sometimes at the lowest speed sticks shut. I clean it and spray it with WD40 like lube between runs when I clean the tent all out.

Tomatoesonly

You should get a dampener on the output, close to the tent. I like the cheap plastic ones but they have to be horizontal. The flower tent ha a 6" one that the fan is connected to. It's spring loaded and sometimes at the lowest speed sticks shut. I clean it and spray it with WD40 like lube between runs when I clean the tent all out.
How sensitive is a dampener to airflow?
I was able to find a temporary solution by routing the air to a different room via a duct system that was supposed to be for intake air, but so far is working as an exhaust and will allow for humid air to be spread out. Luckily I bought quite a few ac infinity fans and cans, so I can control any smells really well on the down low. They work fantastic and if you oversize them and run them real slow you have no idea they are even there, plus you can monitor things remotely if you get the right kit.

Three Berries

How sensitive is a dampener to airflow?
I was able to find a temporary solution by routing the air to a different room via a duct system that was supposed to be for intake air, but so far is working as an exhaust and will allow for humid air to be spread out. Luckily I bought quite a few ac infinity fans and cans, so I can control any smells really well on the down low. They work fantastic and if you oversize them and run them real slow you have no idea they are even there, plus you can monitor things remotely if you get the right kit.
The spring loaded one works at the #1 speed on the AC Infinity fan.

alpo

I vent to the attic but once it stays below freezing for any amount of time I switch to out the side of the wall. Not an issue as long as the attic has good ventilation and no ice forms. But in the dead of winter here in Illinois it will make a mess in the attic.

are you using LEDs and what is the temp of the room your venting out of?

Three Berries

are you using LEDs and what is the temp of the room your venting out of?
300-400 w LEDs/. 100W on a temp control. Temp is <75F and humidity is whatever the proper VPD should be, 60-70RH. It's a tent in a closet in an unheated room. But draws air from the house on the other side of the wall. Usually in winter time 65F/55-65RH.

I just cut the two I had in it last week and won't use that tent again until late winter early spring.

alpo

300-400 w LEDs/. 100W on a temp control. Temp is <75F and humidity is whatever the proper VPD should be, 60-70RH. It's a tent in a closet in an unheated room. But draws air from the house on the other side of the wall. Usually in winter time 65F/55-65RH.

I just cut the two I had in it last week and won't use that tent again until late winter early spring.
is there any problem with venting to the room my tent is in

Three Berries

is there any problem with venting to the room my tent is in
Not in the winter except for the smell. I have another tent usually for just vegging that I am venting into my bedroom. It's got a flowering auto in it now.

But that really depends on the house, how tight it is, what the humidity is inside.

Latest posts

Latest posts