What's new

For those that enjoy a sharp piece of Steel

G

I've always wanted to get into knife making. I hear that you can get leaf springs from old trucks that make excellent knives. Old files too. I only initially wanted to make the scales (handles) out of exotic woods I have available to me. Then I got to thinking I might try to make complete knives.

Someday when I consolidate my hobbies I might give it a go. I'm also really into sharpening with the lansky system then stropping.

Favorites are my benchmade auto and my Al Mar Nomad.

Everyday knife is a CRKT tanto style folder.

basilfarmer

same here Jackpackage - does anyone know if a leaf spring from a truck would make a good knife or machete?

Gen - those Damascus' are awsome

Don & Bab - interesting you mentioned cup pressures, was just reading about the 45-70 pistol and with it's increased case space, the cup pressures lower to the point that grain for grain of lead & powder; you only get a 44 mag kick & blast outa this thing but with a lot more power - of course if you go up to 500 grains, its definately going to out kick a 44

800px-BFR_45-70_1.jpg

Wonderon - sorry about my bad spelling I should know by now, but glad I got you interested in spending $ on blades! :muahaha: ...now, I'm not the only one, it's all Don's fault actually :D

WpatternDamasacusHunter.jpg

timascus1.jpg

111L.jpg

1252-1.JPG

Bounty.jpg

1196990356damascusbowievo5.jpg

Wonderon

Killing me man, LOL nice knives for sure. I don't own a gun yet either but thats been one thing thats been on my mind lately. Was thinking of getting a shottie for now but damn fine pistol you got there. Lovin all the knives and knowledge in this thread!

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Quote basilfarmer: "does anyone know if a leaf spring from a truck would make a good knife or machete?"

Khukuris are made from truck leafsprings, and they'll outchop any machete IMO - I have both khuks and machetes, and the khuks perform better. Most likely 'cuz they're heavier, hence more chopping power. Plus the curved blade gives more power to the chop.

Hehe Moe luvs the khuk...a fine tool/weapon indeed! Made from a leafspring over an open forge in Nepal...:rasta:

Peace

D

Don Cotyle

basilfarmer said:
same here Jackpackage - does anyone know if a leaf spring from a truck would make a good knife or machete?

Gen - those Damascus' are awsome

Don & Bab - interesting you mentioned cup pressures, was just reading about the 45-70 pistol and with it's increased case space, the cup pressures lower to the point that grain for grain of lead & powder; you only get a 44 mag kick & blast outa this thing but with a lot more power - of course if you go up to 700 grains, its definately going to out kick a 44

800px-BFR_45-70_1.jpg

Wonderon - sorry about my bad spelling I should know by now, but glad I got you interested in spending $ on blades! :muahaha: ...now, I'm not the only one, it's all Don's fault actually :D

WpatternDamasacusHunter.jpg

timascus1.jpg

111L.jpg

1252-1.JPG

Bounty.jpg

1196990356damascusbowievo5.jpg

Whoa there cowboy! I'm sure you don't meen 700 grains, not bullet or powder!!! That would blow that fine shooting iron up!!!!! My 50BMG only shoots a 675 grain bullet, well 750 if your useing an A-Max round. Carefull their pardner! Beautifull blades their Bfarmer!!!

I'm gonna put up some detailed pix of my Picklock Pat Fish, the Italian switchblade I only put up a side shot on! It has beautiful filework to it!

basilfarmer

LMAO 700 grain bullets, ohhh, sorry Don, you see I am one of hese guys that looks at the keyborad instead of the screen when I type.

Anyway, what I meant was a 500 grain bullet. Crazy huh?? They use these against the biggest monsters for utmost penitration - but IN A RIFLE lol

In a pistol, they'd find yer hand in the next state :muahaha:

here's a quote on it:

"For the utmost in penetration on very large animals, the 500 grain Hornady RN or FMJ-RN bullets on top of 44.1 grains of IMR 3031 results in a MV of 1500 fps, and a maximum load of 53.1 grains of IMR 3031 can drive these 500 grain bullets to a MV of 1800 fps. Again, these high pressure loads were tested from the 22" barrel of a Ruger No. 1 rifle."

still, as far as concealable defense against grizzlies (is there such a thing??) this pistol is one of the only viable options - the kick would be survivable but you'd have to down load the powder charge, just put less powder in it - would kick the same as shooting a hot load from a mountainlite 44 mag - you'd have a soar hand, but live to tell about it!

Wonderon, shotguns are great fun, remington 870 is great and reasonably priced too. Very versatile loads available for shotgun. If it's pump, you can load it really light kicking and not have to worry about jams.

My favorite shotgun is the Neostead. 12 shots (duo tubes) bullpup pump, super reliable, super short, yet still has a long enough barrel. It's made in South Africa,its importation approved in Canada (which surprises me) but unfortunately, I don't think it has BATF importation approval yet for US.

The NS2000 (slightly shorter varient) has an 18" barrel w/10 shots yet is only 22 inches long overall! Talk about good use of space.

neostead.jpg

Last edited:

basilfarmer

Oh, and THANK YOU Moe

Thats excatly what I wanted to know. I'm gonna get me a few of those.

Where would you suggest a reputable source?

thanks again

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
IMO the 3 top khuks come from Himalayan Imports, also known as HI, and a company out of the UK called Tora. Khukuri house makes decent ones as well, I'd give them 3rd.

All these places have websites, just type the names into search and check out all the models, info and history, how they're made etc... :rasta:

Peace

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
GK: thanks for the pics and the info! hope u feel better. u sound like a true craftsman.

DC: ill be ur huckleberry.... :rasta:
part of doc holliday's legendary courage in the face of death may have stemmed from the fact that he was dying of tb. i know you have your physical issues but i hope that ur life is a long and happy one. mj helps in that regard.
makes me wonder if any of the old cowboys ever smoked the herb? i do believe mexicans were using it, weren't pancho villa's men users? made them braver? maybe that'll be ur advantage in a gunfight: ur so stoned u have no fear. :rasta:

BF: as always, nice knife pics! and that revolver looks like something dirty harry would carry. :nono: do u feel lucky, punk? i like the smooth look of the overall package, especially the cylinder. i dont know whether that makes it look old school or new edge, but it looks cool nonetheless.

MB: nice khuks! do farmers in se asia use them for harvesting crops? maybe even weed? thats a nice image...
:joint:

basilfarmer

Thanks Bab, it's a newer design from the same folks that do the desert eagle, I like the look of it too. The cylender has to be that huge because the bullets are long. but as I said, it's totally up to you how much powder and how big a bullet you want to put, so it can be fun to shoot, you don't have to blow your hand off with recoil.

I was just shooting my 357 magnum a few days ago and it doesn't kick at all hardly. Thats because the gun is a colt python that is weighty. Now if I fired the same 357 shells in a tiny, light gun; the recoil would hurt bad.

gramsci.antonio - I cannot get your link to work (?)

85957_1_b.jpg

86341_1_b.jpg

86447_1_b.jpg

86109_1_b.jpg

86144_1_b.jpg

86104_1_b.jpg

86585_1_b.jpg

K04028-Cashen-Kevin-004.jpg

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
I wouldn't doubt that some nepalese ganja is cut with a khuk...lotsa ganja grown there, and lots of khuks too... :rasta:

Peace

NoFx

I don't know how to upload photos. Only tried this time and I'm already getting bugged out. :cuss:

Anywho, I gots me a Benchmade 5000 AutoPresidio.

A buddy of mine was in the Raq and came back with this for me :rasta: . He said he stole it from some marines or something (along with a bunch others). They took his 50cal ammo sadly. Kinda wanted to see them.

Pretty nice ka-nif. Check out the link. Retail is 240 something and it has a sheath. For police and military personel only!!! :muahaha:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=5000

edit: It's the one in all black. Anti-shine, so no one can see ya coming. :dueling:

NOFX

Last edited:
D

Don Cotyle

basilfarmer said:
LMAO 700 grain bullets, ohhh, sorry Don, you see I am one of hese guys that looks at the keyborad instead of the screen when I type.

Anyway, what I meant was a 500 grain bullet. Crazy huh?? They use these against the biggest monsters for utmost penitration - but IN A RIFLE lol

In a pistol, they'd find yer hand in the next state :muahaha:

here's a quote on it:

"For the utmost in penetration on very large animals, the 500 grain Hornady RN or FMJ-RN bullets on top of 44.1 grains of IMR 3031 results in a MV of 1500 fps, and a maximum load of 53.1 grains of IMR 3031 can drive these 500 grain bullets to a MV of 1800 fps. Again, these high pressure loads were tested from the 22" barrel of a Ruger No. 1 rifle."

still, as far as concealable defense against grizzlies (is there such a thing??) this pistol is one of the only viable options - the kick would be survivable but you'd have to down load the powder charge, just put less powder in it - would kick the same as shooting a hot load from a mountainlite 44 mag - you'd have a soar hand, but live to tell about it!

Wonderon, shotguns are great fun, remington 870 is great and reasonably priced too. Very versatile loads available for shotgun. If it's pump, you can load it really light kicking and not have to worry about jams.

My favorite shotgun is the Neostead. 12 shots (duo tubes) bullpup pump, super reliable, super short, yet still has a long enough barrel. It's made in South Africa,its importation approved in Canada (which surprises me) but unfortunately, I don't think it has BATF importation approval yet for US.

The NS2000 (slightly shorter varient) has an 18" barrel w/10 shots yet is only 22 inches long overall! Talk about good use of space.

neostead.jpg

S.Africa comes out with some really nice riot control and protection shottys from time to time, remember the Striker 12 shot 12 gauge with the rotary cylander, it was a 12 shot that you could skip rounds by a half press of the trigger!

basilfarmer

yeah Don that striker was awsome, my friend had one years ago, along with a spas 12

hey.... I was told by a friend that they will close this thread if we post pics of guns? that's kinda silly imo. I hope this doesnt happen. We're just friends talking hobbies here. Tolerence is always a good thing.

here NoFX :D nice knife for sure

3811-1.jpg

to add a picture, just right click on the picture you wanna link;
click on the yellow square with a mountain right under 'size' 'color'
paste the addy there

Last edited:
C

Cannabal

Hmm, much of weapons. Do u guys live in jungle ? U need protection against animals ?

U should move to some civilized country, where people don't carry sick shit like that.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I've needed a knife for most of the physical jobs I have had and have been too close for comfort with bears a bobcat coyotes and moose, not that a knife would be much help against a moose lol.

I just have a cheep Gerber para frame. It gets scratched up and used a lot outside in dirt and sand so cheep is better for what I do with it.

I've always wanted a Damascus folding for just a cool knife like this one
mcustanewdam2.jpg