This is a major step in passing of this bill

updates at

http://www.medicalmovement.com/

http://www.pa4mmj.org/

Running tally of our legislators positions for yes and no at

http://www.pa4mmj.org/involve/view_reps/assembly
And
http://www.pa4mmj.org/involve/view_reps/senate

The bill introduced into the state Assembly and Senate.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&BN=1393

Feel free to send a copy of this to your elected officials and ask them to support it.

[YOUR NAME]
[YOUR STREET ADDRESS]
[YOUR TOWN, CITY AND ZIP]
[YOUR TELEPHONE]
[YOU RE-MAIL]
[DATE]

The Honorable [FULL NAME OF REPRESENTATIVE OR SENATOR]
Post Office Box [GET BOX NUMBER FROM www.legis.state.pa.us]
Harrisburg, PA 17120-[LAST FOUR DIGITS OF BOX NUMBER]

Re: House Bill 1393 Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act

Dear [Representative or Senator's last name]:

I'm writing to ask your support for HB 1393, the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act introduced by Representative Mark Cohen and referred to the Committee on Health and Human Services.

[Why this bill is important to you, and stories of people you know who might benefit.]

I agree with Mr. Cohen's statements that medical marijuana is "an idea whose time has come," that now is the time for "cures, not wars on patients," and that we need to have a "new, honest image of marijuana."

Thank you for considering my views on this bill.

Sincerely,

[YOUR NAME]

If you’re going to email them do it directly thru their website

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...?cde=20&body=H

To submit Testimony here is an outline you can use

TESTIMONY OF [NAME]

BEFORE THE PENNSYLVANIA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

COMMITTEE ON HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

ON HB 1393 COMPASSIONATE USE ACT OF 2009

Good morning, Chairmen Oliver and Baker, and Members of the Committee. I am [name] from [city and county].

I am submitting this testimony to urge passage of the Compassionate Use Act of 2009 by this Committee and the General Assembly.

[Summary of my personal history and story]

[How this Bill would help me and others in a similar situation]

[Why I believe this is "an idea whose time has come, for a new, honest view of marijuana, a time for cures, not wars on patients."]

My testimony is submitted according to the law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Rules of the House of Representatives. Thank you for this opportunity to be heard.

Dated: September __ , 2009 ______________________________ ___
[Name]
[Address]

A good example of Written testimony http://www.medicalmovement.com/uploads/DonReitmeyerPatientStatement_rev1.doc

Please email it to Patients@Pa4MMJ.org

Or mail it to

PhillyNORML
1234 Market St
PO Box 36687
Phila. PA 19107-9997

You can also fax it to PhillyNORML

PhillyNORML Fax: 1-866-917-3959

PhillyNORML Will make sure your testimony is handed in

FOR QUESTIONS AND ASSISTANCE IN DRAFTING TESTIMONY AND SELECTING APPROPRIATE EXHIBITS

Jeff Spangler, Political Advisor for Chuck Homan

Questions and help for Supporters:

Phone Lines Jeff Spangler 703-465-1795 or PhillyNORML 215-586-3483

jtspangler@peoplepc.com

JTS273@alumni.Lehigh.edu

Patients@Pa4MMJ.org

PhillyNORML could use some donations at this time http://www.phillynorml.org/involve/donate

You should also call your elected local offical

HOUSE HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE MEMBERS

Keller, Mark K. R Against 717-783-1593

Miller, Ron R Against 717-783-8389

True, Katie R Against 717-705-7161

Brown, Vanessa Lowery 717-783-3822

DePasquale, Eugene For 717-787-7514

Baker, Matthew E. 717-772-5371

Benninghoff, Kerry A. 717-783-1918

Beyer, Karen D. 717-783-1673

Bishop, Louise Williams 717-783-2192

Curry, Lawrence H. 717-783-1079

Cutler, Bryan 717-783-6424

DiGirolamo, Gene 717-783-7319

Drucker, Paul J. 717-705-2003

Gingrich, Mauree 717-783-1815

Grove, Seth M. 717-783-2655

Kirkland, Thaddeus 717-787-5881

McIlvaine Smith , Barbara 717-705-1922

Micozzie, Nicholas A. 717-783-8808

Myers, John 717-787-3181

Oliver, Frank Louis 717-787-3480

Pashinski, Eddie Day 717-783-0686

Payton, Tony J. 717-787-1354

Reichley, Douglas G. 717-787-1000

Seip, Tim 717-772-5771

Smith, Ken 717-783-1359

Waters, Ronald G. 717-772-9850

Watson, Katharine M. 717-787-5452

Wheatley, Jake 717-783-3783

already on board you can call and thank them

Briggs, Tim Sponsor 717-705-7011

Cohen, Mark B. Sponsor 717-787-4117

Gergely, Marc J. Sponsor 717-783-1018

Johnson, Kenyatta J. Sponsor 717-783-1792

Mundy, Phyllis Sponsor 717-783-1614

O'Brien, Michael H. Sponsor 717-783-8098

Sabatina, John P. Sponsor 717-772-4032

Vitali, Greg Sponsor 717-787-7647

Last edited:

Bake_McBride

This is excellent news! Good luck PA. Now all we need is DE to get on board and MD to fix their broken law and the Mid-Atlantic will be good to go.

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
Its great to see a common-wealth state stepping up to the plate.

2 mother plants, 12 clones or immature plants,12 mature plants, and five ounce of usable marijuana. Not too shabby. Good luck PA

~deadwood~

Amazing news from a commonwealth state. Best of luck guys and gals, time to start up the letters and emails to your representatives.

the_man

guys rumor has it MAY 1st the bill goes into the house

so now is the time to place your emails and phone calls

burnt out og'er
Veteran
stickied for PA residents to get going writing those letters and making the calls

the_man

the fight in PA starts on Wednesday

the fight in PA starts on Wednesday

PHILADELPHIA. State Rep. Mark Cohen said Wednesday that he will introduce a bill as soon as next month to legalize medical marijuana in Pennsylvania.

Cohen said he decided to have the measure drafted after he was interviewed for a story in Wednesday's Metro about legalizing marijuana to help the city and state overcome budget problems and getting almost all positive responses on Facebook, PhillyBlog and elsewhere.

"It's easier when you have public support to get legislation through," said Cohen, who gave the bill a 50-50 shot of passing in the next few years. "I think it's something that has a good chance of being taken seriously in the Legislature."

Cohen said the bill will be modeled after the New Jersey Compassionate Medical Marijuana Act, which was passed by the New Jersey Senate last month. The state Assembly has yet to begin debating the measure, which Gov. Jon Corzine has said he would sign.

Thirteen states already allow medical marijuana, as opposition to the drug for medical reasons seems to be waning and many medical professionals support these measures. The New Jersey Nurses Association and the Academy of Family Physicians are among the groups who support the bill.

"Most of these efforts are the result of grassroots campaigns by locals who have taken it upon themselves [to inform] legislators about medical use and the many questions surrounding it," says Robert Dougherty, chair of Philadelphia NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.) "And I think that the information society we live in has contributed to this uptick in support and more people are aware of the issues where some time ago the only information provided was through nationally funded anti-drug campaigns."

the_man

breaking news Republican U.S. Senator Arlen Specter in talks to switch parties, sources tell AP

Arlen Specter is for MJ and has been for a long time

I wonder why the party switch now

ether way good for him

soniq

breaking news Republican U.S. Senator Arlen Specter in talks to switch parties, sources tell AP

Arlen Specter is for MJ and has been for a long time

I wonder why the party switch now

ether way good for him

just posted a thread looking for some info about specter.. this is good to see that he is for MJ. good news.

the_man

Tuesday, June 17th, 2008

Pennsylvania Senator Arlen] Specter addressed the Daily News Editorial Board yesterday on local, national and international issues. Several years ago, early in his battle with cancer, Specter told me that he had considered introducing legislation supporting medical marijuana, so I figured I should follow up on that.

Yesterday, I asked Specter - someone who could potentially benefit from it - whether he would use medical marijuana himself.

“If it were legalized in Pennsylvania and if I were in pain and my doctor prescribed it, then yes, absolutely I would,” he told me. When I asked if he would consider sparking up without it being legalized, I’d swear there was a brief smile before the senator said he was “certainly not about to say I would violate the law.”

Apr 1, 2009

Senators Jim Webb (D-VA) and Arlen Specter (R-PA), along with fifteen co-sponsors, have introduced legislation in Congress to critically evaluate America’s drugs and prisons policies.

Senate Bill 714, the National Criminal Justice Commission Act of 2009

T

ThePotanist

from norml homepage posted today the 29th
Pennsylvania: Finally, NORML is thrilled to announce that Rep. Mark Cohen (D-Philadelphia), along with six co-sponsors, introduced legislation today to make Pennsylvania the fourteenth state to legalize the physician-supervised use of cannabis. As introduced — House Bill 1393, The Barry Busch Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act of 2009 — would allow state-authorized patients to possess and cultivate cannabis for therapeutic purposes. The measure also seeks to allow for the state-licensed distribution and sale of medical marijuana by authorized ‘compassion centers. For several months, Philly NORML has worked behind the scenes with Rep. Cohen’s staff to draft this important legislation, which you can read about here. If you live in Pennsylvania, you can support this effort by going here.

also posted in a link from the post

Pennsylvania Rep. Mark Cohen (D-Philadelphia), along with six co-sponsors, has introduced legislation to make Pennsylvania the fourteenth state to legalize the physician-supervised use of cannabis.

As introduced -- House Bill 1393, The Barry Busch Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act of 2009 -- would allow state-authorized patients to possess and cultivate cannabis for therapeutic purposes. The measure also seeks to allow for the state-licensed distribution and sale of medical marijuana by authorized 'compassion centers.'

Rep. Cohen, along with members of Philadelphia NORML, introduced the state's first-ever medical marijuana bill at a press conference on Wednesday, April 29. For several months, Philly NORML has worked behind the scenes with Rep. Cohen's staff to draft this important legislation. You can read media coverage of the news conference here.

It is believed that Rep. Cohen's bill will face stiff opposition in the Pennsylvania legislature. That is why we need you to contact your state representative and urge him or her to support HB 1393. For your convenience, a pre-written letter will be e-mailed to your state House member when you enter your contact information below.

Thank you for supporting NORML's marijuana law reform efforts in Pennsylvania. For more information, or to become involved in this campaign, please contact Philly NORML or Pennsylvanians for Medical Marijuana.

J

JackTheGrower

great news for PA!!, hopefully the south will come around soon!....great news!

I was listening to the News this morning.

Republicans are generally shifting ultra right and their base is the south. They are losing ground most everywhere else.

Just an FYI

Jack

Latest posts

Latest posts