What's new

Flying Domestically With a Lil Bit o Cash

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Hey, wondering if anyone has had any issues traveling with a little cash? Flying out of a major market east coast airport & flying into an international northern california airport. Amount in question will be ~$6-7k. Also taking some travelers checks, appx 10k total cash & money orders.

General google searching indicates that folks fly all over with 10grand or much more with no hassles. Vegas, weddings, vacations, land/business investments, etc. The anecdotal evidence given towards seizure/hassle seems to be for amounts over $20k (most horror stories are for waaay over 20k) and/or outside of airports, not at the screening.

Made the trip a few months ago with appx 3500 & no one said anything about it. I'm buying a used car & going to my niece's wedding & don't want to be hassled by some cop-school flunkie. I know it would be safer to carry a bank check, but like a lot of us on here, I don'ts fukk wit tha banks.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Says all over the tsa's blog that they CAN question you about cash & if they suspect it is proceeds form a crime call local PD/sherrif/federale/IRS. They are not law enforcement & have to refer the matter to LEO. The law provides for all sorts of ways for the man to mess with us pee-ons. I was looking for a few people to say either "...Yeah, no biggie....I do it a few times a year..." OR "...I was held up & my dough was taken at the airport...".

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
Visa Pre paid credit card bud, nobody thinks twice about you carrying the card. Cash might raise unwanted attention.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Hi midwest, I looked into that, but for the amount & liquidity needed, the ones I found are not practical. Honestly even a "pay to the bearer" bank check is likely subject to a hold & I want to be able to access my scratch. I've even considered buying some gold coin but that looks a looooot shadier in a carry on x-ray IMO than a few stacks. If you know of a card that can load as much as I need & I can cash it out on demand, please post a link or pm it to me.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
got to your own bank ... have a cashiers check / travelers check for the amount your bringing... make flight...
then stop by any bank on west coast and cash the check ....

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
As mentioned in the first post, I don't personally have a bank. If I have a bank check, it will be from a friend's bank account & payable to me or bearer or cash or whatever. Amex wants to take 3% for traveler's checks & that's probably how I'm going to take most of the funds. Was hoping that some people wold chime in & hold my hand to carry cash lol. 7k @3% is $210 that I'd rather have but $200 is a small ticket to avoid tripping off a line of shitty dominoes.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
roll up money , put in a condom, tie it in a knot , and man up and do it like the rest of us

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Nah not for 200. Lol @whomever told you "..yeah Shawk, we all do that.."

Last edited:

shredGnar

I have flown with well over $9,999 more than a few times... I just seal it in an ordinary envelope and carry it with me thru the millimeter scanner and hold it in my hand. Only once did anyone ask what was in it, and after I told him cash he did not care at all.

Once I got chosen for the random extra screening. The gentleman searching me was only concerned that I kept an eye on the money so it wasn't stolen. Didn't ask any questions on where it was from or what it was for or any amounts. Just be cool and they won't assume you're up to no good...

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
Hi midwest, I looked into that, but for the amount & liquidity needed, the ones I found are not practical. Honestly even a "pay to the bearer" bank check is likely subject to a hold & I want to be able to access my scratch. I've even considered buying some gold coin but that looks a looooot shadier in a carry on x-ray IMO than a few stacks. If you know of a card that can load as much as I need & I can cash it out on demand, please post a link or pm it to me.

Check out greendot.com It works at ATMs to get cash out but I do believe there is a limit to how much you can take out at once. Been a while since I've used it.
Another option would be to just send the money by western union and pick it up when you land that would probably be the safest option.

get some $500 bills - wait do they still make those? All I know is that ive never had my wallet searched at the airport. everything else yes.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
get some $500 bills - wait do they still make those? All I know is that ive never had my wallet searched at the airport. everything else yes.

they still make $500 bills, as well as $1000, $5000, & $10,000 bills. bad news is you have to BE a bank to legitimately have them. these days, they are only used in transactions between banks.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
I have flown with well over $9,999 more than a few times... I just seal it in an ordinary envelope and carry it with me thru the millimeter scanner and hold it in my hand. Only once did anyone ask what was in it, and after I told him cash he did not care at all.

Once I got chosen for the random extra screening. The gentleman searching me was only concerned that I kept an eye on the money so it wasn't stolen. Didn't ask any questions on where it was from or what it was for or any amounts. Just be cool and they won't assume you're up to no good...

Like the man with the Rotty say... :)

In a stack, with a binder clip, in my carry-on. Carrying right on ;)

Dab Strudel

Visa Pre paid credit card bud, nobody thinks twice about you carrying the card. Cash might raise unwanted attention.

Maybe in the petty crime land but out here in NorCal they have readers for that. They get so excited when they find those cards, they act like they have you on a spit and are ready to roast you. Im sure TSA does too. Id be clean cut, Show the wedding invite and tell em your god child needs a real wedding gift. No harm no foul. Its all in your character, they go on profile. A polo, kakis, and lightly tinted sun glasses on your head mixed with a friendly, semi-outgoing attitude will get you right by bud.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran

ya that...

EastCoast710

Check out greendot.com It works at ATMs to get cash out but I do believe there is a limit to how much you can take out at once. Been a while since I've used it.
Another option would be to just send the money by western union and pick it up when you land that would probably be the safest option.

don't do it GREENDOT is TRASH.. I TRIED IT. used it for a year .. then it got to needing registering with a real name and ID .. lol. 500 limit putting on and taking out a day.. each reload is 4.95$.. if your going to do that.. buy as many 500$ visa gift cards... put in envelope say its families xmas presents..

samdamang

If anyone still cares, from the several flights I have taken they only want you to declare if you are carrying more than 10k cash. Either way just stick with a combo of what shredGnar and Dab Strudel say above and you'll be cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts