What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor online viewing options (free)?

shithawk420

Veteran
everyone and their grandmother knew how this fight was gonna go.Mayweather said he was gonna KO him but i knew it was a lie.he pulled a Rocky Balboa by letting Mcgregor get tired.everyone saw that coming.either the fight was fixed or mcgregor was dumb enough not to train cardio as much as he should have.still havent wached it yet.watching preseason football,then ill watch it.

Spaventa

Veteran
I believe Mayweather carried him and made him look good. Floyd was ALWAYS going to win that was clear to both sides including the men themselves. Theres no way Floyd would have thrown this and his undefeated record. Paddy had to look half decent for his own $ value and Floyds credibility. 10 rounds was a fiction role play. Floyd could have dropped him in one round but that would of made them both look like clowns.

N

NBE One !

Saw a replay yesterday.

When interviewed after the fight he said to take CMG into " Deep Water " was Mayweather snr s and his Gameplan all along,proving Early on he could " Survive Cmg's Striking " This gave him Confidence allowing him to do Exactly that. CMG was winning the early rnds
At the end of 5 Fmj was frustrated and so Pushed Cmg,

Fab show ! Would of liked the Show to go on a bit longer, I don't believe CMG is made dizzy like " Normal people " ( lol )
Maybe he'd of thrown a final hook/uppercut that, Could of turned the tables !?!! ? .
He's known for becoming Exhausted in the later part of the match.

Fmj showed jus' what class he is in his chosen sport. Dude really impressed me against hard hitting Mexican - Canelo Alvarez. Pacman Gave too much Respect Imo

Last edited:

Junk

I boxed a bit when I was younger, and to do 12 x 3 minute rounds of full on boxing is a feat that most cannot accomplish. I couldn't.

Ditto. Even at my best I couldn't do it with another guy punching me the whole time. Plus your arms get super tired. Then the haymakers come out.

MMArtists have to go 5 x 5 minute rounds in championship matches, but they rarely go the distance.
Not only that, but they don't have to keep their arms up the whole time, throw punches the whole time. I'm not saying one is superior, but they are fairly different. If you lean in boxing, you get broken up. If your arms get tired in UFC you can throw kicks. It's not a constant barrage of punching. It's a much different pace than CMG is used to.
The pace and control that Mayweather has is impressive, especially at 40 years old, and he deserved to win.
Agreed. I can't stand his persona. He is never going to shut up now. But he won.

McGregor aimed to take out Mayweather in the early rounds, and gassed himself out while attempting to do it.

That's how Jr. has fought most of his fights (that I've seen) in the last...wow, a lot of years. Well before Sugar Shane Mosley and that was like 7-8 years ago-isn?

I think Mac knew he wasn't going to win on points, and he knew he wasn't going to go the distance. So Jr just played elusive in the beginning and figured him out. It was exactly the same Jr. I've seen fight for the last while.

You can usually tell when a stop is no good by the fighter's immediate reaction. If they don't react, it's usually a good stop. Mac had no problem ending it there until he caught his breath. At that point in the fight, Jr was just deciding how he wanted to drop him.

If that had gone on, this would likely have been the conversation with the ref:

"CMG suffered a concussion and a lot of people thought you could have stopped it earlier. Why didn't you?"

"I thought CMG might get lucky..."

That's just not how it works.

I look forward to Jr's retirement (I hate listening to that guy) and CMG's return to MMA. Admittedly, he was "my guy," but for what he was attempting to do, I think he performed respectably. It was a tall order in the first place. I honestly didn't think he would last as long as he did.

Overall, I liked the event. It was like watching a real life Rocky IV :)...except, I liked Apollo Creed's personality lol.

I don't mind people being cocky. I enjoy it. What I hate is the constant talk about how much money he has/makes/spends/bathes in/wipes bum with/burns for heat/paves his driveway with etc.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's a pretty funny video. He looks 1/3 the size of big show, mostly because he is literally 1/3 his size. Maybe 1/4.
I'm not a boxing fan, but ive read that floyd went 'heel' (went from pretty boy floyd to money mayweather) to increase his commercial appeal. And people ate it up, buying his ppv's if only to see him get knocked out.

Sure, conor gassed out early, as floyd himself said he knew would happen. 7th round and on his hands were dropping, his mouth open, gasping for air. The announcers said that floyd didnt even break a sweat until the 4th or 5th round, and i think they were right.
Conor isnt known for having good cardio even in mma. Ive heard he doesnt run outside because of his knees (tore an acl in one of his early ufc matches) but does water treadmill. Still, i think after a certain point of training cardio has more to do with genetics (bigger heart/lungs) than how hard you work at it, so maybe conor just doesnt have the genetic potential for elite cardio.
Maybe if he had been able to keep up his round 1 pace he'd have a chance, but even then i never got the feeling that floyd was hurt or even intimidated by conor's power. Sure, conor got some direct shots in, a left uppercut, some right jabs, plus a whole bunch of glancing blows, but floyd never looked wobbly or hurt by any of them. If anyone had a 'power punch' in this fight, it was floyd's right hand.
Boxing people say that boxers train to throw punches with their body (shoulders, torso, hips and legs etc behind the punch) whereas amateurs throw punches just with their arms. I'd say that looked like the difference between mayweather and mcgregor; even someone who's considered to be a light puncher among boxing pros (mayweather) landed harder, cleaner shots than conor. Floyd said he would walk him down before the fight, and Conor himself said, with his usual lack of PC, that he turned floyd into a mexican (im guessing that's a boxer who comes straight at you, looking to brawl).
So it was satisfying on that level to boxing fans who hate seeing floyd play his defensive boxing/outpoint the opposition game, and mma fans get to claim that mcgregor took a boxing great to the 10th round and landed more shots than pacquiao. But floyd said afterwards that conors strong but his punching power doesnt compare to manny, shane, canelo, etc so that's why he walked right into conor and let him land as many shots as he did, because Floyd didnt have to worry about getting hurt. Even that uppercut in the 1st, though it snapped his head back, didnt faze him.
It was an entertaining fight because of all the action but because conor never learned to harness his power in the boxing ring, it wasnt much more than a sparring session for floyd.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
That's a pretty funny video. He looks 1/3 the size of big show, mostly because he is literally 1/3 his size. Maybe 1/4.
I'm not a boxing fan, but ive read that floyd went 'heel' (went from pretty boy floyd to money mayweather) to increase his commercial appeal. And people ate it up, buying his ppv's if only to see him get knocked out.

Sure, conor gassed out early, as floyd himself said he knew would happen. 7th round and on his hands were dropping, his mouth open, gasping for air. The announcers said that floyd didnt even break a sweat until the 4th or 5th round, and i think they were right.
Conor isnt known for having good cardio even in mma. Ive heard he doesnt run outside because of his knees (tore an acl in one of his early ufc matches) but does water treadmill. Still, i think after a certain point of training cardio has more to do with genetics (bigger heart/lungs) than how hard you work at it, so maybe conor just doesnt have the genetic potential for elite cardio.
Maybe if he had been able to keep up his round 1 pace he'd have a chance, but even then i never got the feeling that floyd was hurt or even intimidated by conor's power. Sure, conor got some direct shots in, a left uppercut, some right jabs, plus a whole bunch of glancing blows, but floyd never looked wobbly or hurt by any of them. If anyone had a 'power punch' in this fight, it was floyd's right hand.
Boxing people say that boxers train to throw punches with their body (shoulders, torso, hips and legs etc behind the punch) whereas amateurs throw punches just with their arms. I'd say that looked like the difference between mayweather and mcgregor; even someone who's considered to be a light puncher among boxing pros (mayweather) landed harder, cleaner shots than conor. Floyd said he would walk him down before the fight, and Conor himself said, with his usual lack of PC, that he turned floyd into a mexican (im guessing that's a boxer who comes straight at you, looking to brawl).
So it was satisfying on that level to boxing fans who hate seeing floyd play his defensive boxing/outpoint the opposition game, and mma fans get to claim that mcgregor took a boxing great to the 10th round and landed more shots than pacquiao. But floyd said afterwards that conors strong but his punching power doesnt compare to manny, shane, canelo, etc so that's why he walked right into conor and let him land as many shots as he did, because Floyd didnt have to worry about getting hurt. Even that uppercut in the 1st, though it snapped his head back, didnt faze him.
It was an entertaining fight because of all the action but because conor never learned to harness his power in the boxing ring, it wasnt much more than a sparring session for floyd.
Great post. Floyd could've stopped Conor whenever he wanted to. By the 4th he was literally catching Conors' punches with his gloves and mouthing "nope" lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the rematch in a cage and Floyd lasting until the 3rd round before being submitted...Conor returning the favor lol.

packerfan79

Veteran
Great post. Floyd could've stopped Conor whenever he wanted to. By the 4th he was literally catching Conors' punches with his gloves and mouthing "nope" lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the rematch in a cage and Floyd lasting until the 3rd round before being submitted...Conor returning the favor lol.

Conor would have Mayweather submitted in a few minutes. I like boxing, but mma is a fierce sport with no room for the unprepared.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I would actually disagree on both of your points. I dont think floyd would have stopped conor in the first round or second ("whenever he wanted to"). It seemed when conor had energy (head movement) and kept his hands up, he was able to defend himself adequately from floyd's power shots; also by going on the offensive, he was able to keep floyd from teeing off on him, although he ate some counter rights to the body doing that.
By the 9th and 10th rounds, when his legs were gone and defense nonexistent, he was eating head shots from floyd and yeah, he wasnt going to last more than a minute or two of that. But it took some time to get there.
I hear you on the trash talk; i think the announcer said floyd winked at them in the 4th round when he was tied up with conor. It was at that point that i thought, yeah conor looks like hes doing well so far but hes got no chance, especially when he loses punching power after the first 30 secs of each round.

On Mayweather's chances in the octagon, conor isn't known for taking down guys and submitting them, he's known for putting people to sleep with his left hand. Even randy couture took a few mins to size up, take down and submit james toney when they faced off years ago. Im sure conor would still win, but when was the last time anyone saw him take anyone to the ground, much less finish them off there? His ground game to me consists of take down defense and getting back up to his feet as quickly as he can.
Maybe mayweather makes it to the 2nd round in an mma match. :)

I could very well be wrong on both points, admittedly.

I hear conor's wants to have a trilogy fight with nate diaz, (probably at 155?). I'm sure nate's thrilled with another big payday, but who wants to see conor take on a non-contender? Should be a pretty good fight though...

N

NBE One !

Excellent Comment baba'. I Totally agree in that. Cmg's Lethal in the Early rounds -floydm'jwould of dropped.
...then fans/Audience would of booed at the Short Event ;

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Conor was more active in the early rounds but i wouldnt say he was lethal. I bought into the hype thinking he had a puncher's chance against mayweather but if you watch some of mayweather's other fights, the ones where he's not running/defensive boxing, he can take some punishment. I think in his fight against maidana 3 years ago, he took many more and harder shots than he did against conor and didnt look close to being knocked out or even wobbled in that fight.

I think boxing in general the one punch KO's arent that common because the gloves are more padded and they know how to minimize damage from punches (glancing blows by moving your body and head, blocking with forearms and gloves, etc). Unless the boxer moves forward right into a hard punch, like manny did against marquez a few years ago, it's unlikely they're going to be knocked out with one blow.
And literally floyd mayweather is the least likely boxer on earth who would let that happen to him; boxing experts may dispute his overall ranking among the greats of all time, but no one disputes his defensive boxing skills as genius level.

When I heard that conor's camp didnt bring a boxing trainer in for this fight, i thought the reasons they gave made sense: he's not going to become a world class boxer in one training camp, so just build on what he knows and try to surprise floyd with an unorthodox style or tactics. Now I'm thinking he would have benefited from some actual professional boxing trainers, if only to understand the freaking rules: no hammerfists, punches to back of the head, taking floyd's back and punching him in the head (which conor admitted wasted his energy).
But also just put more torque into his punches, get his whole body into a punch. In MMA you cant sell out on punches because you'll get taken down, but in boxing you dont have to worry about that. But maybe he was concerned by counterpunches if he went all in on a punch.

To really be a threat to floyd, I think mcgregor would need 3-5 years of training and experience (in smaller bouts, working his way up in competition) in boxing. Also starting off at a low level would allow him to build up his cardio (4 round fights, then 6, 8, etc). But that was never going to happen because he's not going to give up tens of millions of dollars fighting in club or golden glove matches when he could be headling UFC ppv's. Plus Floyd wouldnt be getting younger during that time.

It was an entertaining fight because of the action but conor had as much chance against floyd as someone who wrestled in high school and made state playoffs going up against an Olympic medal winning wrestler. Even if the olympic wrestler is older and hasnt wrestled in a few years, he'll be like "oh, youre trying to take me down? that's cute" before flipping his hips and flinging the other guy across the mat.

Absolem

Great analysis Bababooey.

I started off in Muay Thai/kickboxing then did a lot of boxing. Watching that fight it was clear Mayweather had the more powerful punch than CMG. If you watch the way CMG's head snapped back when Mayweather hit him compared to the way Mayweather's head barely moved when he was hit by CMG. People don't realize how hard a boxer punches because they make it look so effortlessly. And Mayweather isn't even considered a "power puncher".

IMO it's like watching an amateur golfer hit the ball compared to a pro. An amateur looks like the way they swing with all that "power" they would crush the ball. But compared to a pro who looks like his swing has no "power" but the ball flies much further. Anybody who has ever golfed has said after a great shot "man I barely felt like I hit the ball". When that happens to me I goof the next shot by trying to "crush" the ball.

I see no need for re match. CMG is in his prime and will only get better where Mayweather will decline by the day. No need to see Mayweather in the octagon. He would get destroyed by CMG.

IMO the fight wasn't about who was the toughest but could the best "striker" in MMA compete and out punch a boxer at their own game. I would like to see CMG enter boxing to see how far he can go. One problem he would run into is he won't have the height/strength/arm reach like he did with Mayweather. He most likely would be fighting people taller with longer reach.

Last edited:

Junk

I bought into the hype thinking he had a puncher's chance against mayweather

Understandably so. If you can throw a punch and survive rounds, you have a "chance." I think a lot of people watched for that reason. I did lol.

I never thought that CMG would throw harder than Jr. has seen before. Every fighter he's faced in the last 10 years says "he's never seen my power." With CMG, I think a lot of people don't take into account the glove size. CMG uses 4, and Jr. uses 12 or 10? Yes, CMG has lot's of knockout power, in 4 oz gloves, UFC rules, relative to his competition, and with MMA distance management. None of those remained the same in this competition. So to say you throw harder than any of the pro boxers...I think it's presumptuous. They even dropped the gloves to 8 oz instead of 10.
I think boxing in general the one punch KO's arent that common because the gloves are more padded and they know how to minimize damage from punches (glancing blows by moving your body and head, blocking with forearms and gloves, etc).
That's why I love watching the the lighter divisions. HW's, any punch can be a ko. 150's and lower, you have to really earn the KO.

And literally floyd mayweather is the least likely boxer on earth who would let that happen to him; boxing experts may dispute his overall ranking among the greats of all time, but no one disputes his defensive boxing skills as genius level.
It's like trying to punch a fly. Honestly, I think much of the time he gets hit, it's to make a fight less boring. I think he drags fights out sometimes for the same reason. I remember thinking Roy Jones Jr. did the same way back when.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
All good comparisons.
Floyd seems to have a granite chin so it was unlikely conor would land enough shots to wobble him (not just one decent upper cut, more like 15-20). Conor too took quite a lot of head shots in the last 2-3 rounds; a harder puncher than floyd like GGG or canelo probably would have ended it much sooner at that point, but conor seems pretty tough himself.

With 4oz gloves theyre not big enough to use to block blows, so mma fighters dont even try. And yeah, they hit harder, which is one of the reasons people say mma is safer than boxing, youre not taking repeated head blows (dozens or hundreds) in mma like you would in a boxing match.

I would have liked to see conor train more than 10 weeks for this fight, maybe if he had seriously trained boxing since March (when his son was born) instead of june (when fight was announched) it would have made a difference, he could have learned to harness his power better and also come up with a gameplan for floyd walking him down instead of staying at a distance.

How about in the next year or two conor takes on pacquiao? Who's with me on that? Manny will be well past his prime, maybe conor trains 6mths instead of 2.5mths, plus his experience from this fight, maybe he's got more than a 1% chance of winning? Certainly they'd both make another 9 figure payday. Who says no at that point?

Floyd's diet while training for mcgregor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSZAn57DnCU

N

NBE One !

" Lethal " lethal in the early rounds ! Oh Yes ... Every mma/ufc Fan knows this. There is Factual Evidence,
:chin: ... Of course "a punchers chance " Strikung Is his No1 asset.

Ex P4P best," little extra padding" and Boxing rules had him not able to acheive this
-
Reminded me of a lit'l Evan drago from Rocky 4 ! (((-: :D

Last edited:
N

NBE One !

...Fact is many WOULD agree on this. Disscusing yonks before the Event with the UFC Fellas we all -ish Concluded CMG up to round 5 -6 . Fmj wasn't too fazed at all early tho.He was Fustrated at the End of Rnd5. Knew he was losing .
Max Holloway wasn't fazed in the UFC either . Where the padding is Less Even !

<------ Nc to see the ole post count magic at this Area ! :D:D:D :dance013:

Last edited:
N

NBE One !

:yes: I'll do 4 lines max usually ! .. But 3d on words is cool Just saying. I know what I'm saying. (((-:

Last edited:
N

NBE One !

Now I'm gonna turn the page (-; . got something real interesting to show ya . No one wanted t' be up against this guy. (((-: - retired I hear. (-; Internet will give loads of " no doubt " conflicting info tho that I won't respond Too.

Jus saying. (-; enjoy your weak !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts