What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering.... trimming fan leaves off....leaving fan leaves on

papaduc

Veteran
Cool. That's been my experience too. Total strip down and, like you say, looks scary at first - as if there won't be enough leaf to support good bud growth... but results prove that's not the case.

al70

Veteran
pretty sad how low some will go to to try and remain relevant in the defoliation debate,

Ive been defo'ing for years in veg and bloom with positive results.
here is my latest grow,
in bloom i did 2 major defoliations, about 10 days apart.

42ish days in 12/12
View Image

I agree with the gnome, just have one grow over me but defoliating is a must for me, goodluck all

DrFever

Veteran
well it all strain dependent and as needed,
i use to wait till near the end of stretch but since going all MH in veg-n-bloom stretch isn't an issue anymore, I get a foot or less of stretch now.
plus I always do a good defo in veg just before flipping the lites

this round it was around 15 days and again near 25 days.
I pulled around 12-15lbs out on each defo this round under 6000w
it looks scary for a few days but after a week of letting lite into the interior regions of the plants it goes ape,
then explodes with growth and what would have most likely been inferior popcorn turns into respectable sized nugz running up the stems

after that its a constant random defo here and there when i'm doing whatever in the room

Just out of curiosity you mention 12 - 15 pounds ????? how many plants you running?? from the pic it looks like there average height is like 20" looks like 10 plants in that picture if not more in 5 gallon or less pots i find it hard you getting 3600 +/ - wet grams per 1000 WATT for your min 12 pounds BUT lets not forget your saying up to 15 pounds ?? your saying more or less Your getting 2 - 4 oz dry per plant so other words 8 oz- 16 0z wet BUDS from 16 - 24 " tall plant sorry dude your full of shit Last picture 2 plants and i think i just made it to a pound dry

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 46
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 41

DrFever

Veteran
It Takes a shit load of weed to make pound dry

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
  • knpw.jpg
    knpw.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 39

DunHav`nFun

Uh , Don`t guess you`ve seen Gnome`s pics in his thread over at growroom designs and equipment , cuz they`re up in the lights and huge....but...

I STILL don`t understand for the life of me WHY you come back in this thread every few months callin bullshit on PROVEN techniques used by veteran growers in their garden with strippin fans , regardless of what YOU think or want everyone else to think....

You have little to NO credit with your bullshit fuckin with folks Dr Funk , so how bout give it a rest....and yeah...

There`s several different ways folks are strippin leaves for their own benefit , and yeah it`s strain dependent with some strains shuttin down and needing recovery periods after bein raped and pillaged , which ALSO adds finish time in the growth cycle for most , but some folks are seein the plants power through the strippin and create more budsites , airflow , and tighter growth within a decent timeframe in Veg AND flower , so bottom line is this......

Your "opinion`s" not wanted NOR needed in a thread that`s still evolving with new setups employing said technique in other ways for personal garden benefit...but again....

Smaller grows see more benefit , and larger grows with more and bigger plants needta know their strains and hybrids before goin apeshit and strippin their plants out for fear of the dreaded recovery period from shuttin completely down after bein raped and pillaged.....regardless....

Gnome KNOWS the drill , so show respect where it`s due , or crawl back in your hole till kingdom come for all we care since the only posts you make for the most part talk down to people instead of tryin ta help the community.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Out of the 100s of strains ive blown out, ive actually never seen one strain stop growing or go into a slowed growth period from steady defoliation. If you decide to take them all off at once at week 4 or something i could see it. But if done systematically, steadily over time, they all seem to love it. Ive been lazy and not done enough defol and ive paid for it. When im on it and i do it every other day i hit my 2 per light, with virtually every strain. Not saying other methods i use dont bump up yield bc they do. I weave all my tops into trellis for the first 2 weeks of flower. I do lots of lower stem removal at day 8-10 to get rid of any larf. However defoliation is crucial to my method and like i said if i dont do it i pay for it. Imagine 3 budsites under a fat fan leaf getting no light. If you think removing that leaf and allowing those budsites to get direct lighting is a bad choice, its just fear and inexperience. The time the plants need to recover from the removal of a few fans here and there each day is nothing. Im no longer a novice and my plants never struggle, they grow rapidly and are lush green until i want them to fade. Back when i grew in soil and i had all kinds of issues and my plants were already weaker i wouldnt make things harder by doing any fan removal. If your plants are happy as hell and growing rapidly, pluck a few fans, youll be happy ya did :)

the gnome

Veteran
I STILL don`t understand for the life of me WHY you come back in this thread every few months callin bullshit
Peace....DHF......

yup...
nurse hotflashes is having another rough time of it.
I'm with ya, on the why he keeps coming back to this thread.
crooked 8 and papaduc busted, and I MEAN BUSTED his ass in posts #576

not surprisingly hotflashes C+Ps someone else's work as his own to back up his own ramblings as fact.
He copied and pasted it from here
And he's taken it completely out of context and added the odd word to make it sound anti-defoliation. It's an article on pruning, ie the removal of lower branches. It doesn't even mention defoliation.
It also says in that article that pruning shouldn't be done once when the plant is in flower. As we all know, lots of gardeners prune after stretch with no issues.

that is sooooo pathetic...
of course that's the kind of playbook he's been using for a while now,
which is why he gets schooled nonstop...
so what does he do??
he does again, kinda like his *i see only 10 plants maybe 20" tall...how do you get 12-15lbs you fulla shit dudester*
soooo out of context and twisted, really you can't make this shite up.
typical 3rd rate button pushing troll to take 12-15lbs of defoliated leaves/stems
and twist into whatever gives him the warm and fuzzies atm...lol
but hey ya gots to give credits where it's due, right
at least trying to learn!... he's reading ALL MY POSTS.......:laughing:

seems miss hotflash would be tired of being schooled in this thread by papaduc and you freds..
almost no need for me here...:)
Ive been busy along with others schooling him and his sock puppet pissfest down hard in the Mh threads...

LOL....nurse hotflash has been schooled so much lately I'm surprised one isn't named after the lad
:biggrin:

DrFever

Veteran
yup...
nurse hotflashes is having another rough time of it.
I'm with ya, on the why he keeps coming back to this thread.
crooked 8 and papaduc busted, and I MEAN BUSTED his ass in posts #576

not surprisingly hotflashes C+Ps someone else's work as his own to back up his own ramblings as fact.

that is sooooo pathetic...
of course that's the kind of playbook he's been using for a while now,
which is why he gets schooled nonstop...
so what does he do??
he does again, kinda like his *i see only 10 plants maybe 20" tall...how do you get 12-15lbs you fulla shit dudester*
soooo out of context and twisted, really you can't make this shite up.
typical 3rd rate button pushing troll to take 12-15lbs of defoliated leaves/stems
and twist into whatever gives him the warm and fuzzies atm...lol
but hey ya gots to give credits where it's due, right
at least trying to learn!... he's reading ALL MY POSTS.......:laughing:

seems miss hotflash would be tired of being schooled in this thread by papaduc and you freds..
almost no need for me here...:)
Ive been busy along with others schooling him and his sock puppet pissfest down hard in the Mh threads...

LOL....nurse hotflash has been schooled so much lately I'm surprised one isn't named after the lad
:biggrin:
????? Again there WTF >>> ??? i been schooled ??? by posting or should i say copy n paste sorry guess i should of left a link right
all i questioned is your 15 pounds from your 20 " plants dude common i run 10,000 watts and your talking 15 pounds lol this is not about deloilating man i strip all my lower crap off when i scrog thats all i do is scrog got away from 200 - 600 plant grows that at the end of the dat gave me same yileds as 12 plant scrogs
All the pics i posted is my grows from 76 plant room to 4 plant room;s and i been schooled ??? more plants does not mean more yield but i can guarntee you a 20" in plant with few decent buds and lower buds that are small is not going to give you what you claim so yea i am questioning it one thing great about freedom of speech i am not attacking you
all i am doing is questioning your poundage

Attachments

• !cid_1106001909a.jpg
    !cid_1106001909a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
  • !cid_0323012236.jpg
    !cid_0323012236.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 40
  • !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    !cid_0312012200a.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 44

DrFever

Veteran
Uh , Don`t guess you`ve seen Gnome`s pics in his thread over at growroom designs and equipment , cuz they`re up in the lights and huge....but...

I STILL don`t understand for the life of me WHY you come back in this thread every few months callin bullshit on PROVEN techniques used by veteran growers in their garden with strippin fans , regardless of what YOU think or want everyone else to think....

You have little to NO credit with your bullshit fuckin with folks Dr Funk , so how bout give it a rest....and yeah...

There`s several different ways folks are strippin leaves for their own benefit , and yeah it`s strain dependent with some strains shuttin down and needing recovery periods after bein raped and pillaged , which ALSO adds finish time in the growth cycle for most , but some folks are seein the plants power through the strippin and create more budsites , airflow , and tighter growth within a decent timeframe in Veg AND flower , so bottom line is this......

Your "opinion`s" not wanted NOR needed in a thread that`s still evolving with new setups employing said technique in other ways for personal garden benefit...but again....

Smaller grows see more benefit , and larger grows with more and bigger plants needta know their strains and hybrids before goin apeshit and strippin their plants out for fear of the dreaded recovery period from shuttin completely down after bein raped and pillaged.....regardless....

Gnome KNOWS the drill , so show respect where it`s due , or crawl back in your hole till kingdom come for all we care since the only posts you make for the most part talk down to people instead of tryin ta help the community.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....
DHF all i questioned is his numbers I trim hell i strip 2/3 of each plant when i grow nothing new to me but your not going to get 8 oz plus or what evver off a 20 " plant would you not agree

Dr.King

Veteran
DHF all i questioned is his numbers I trim hell i strip 2/3 of each plant when i grow nothing new to me but your not going to get 8 oz plus or what evver off a 20 " plant would you not agree

Why would one think that if I may ask? I LST to 24" while scrogging my Sativas out in my 5'f x 5'f tents. Get between 3-4 pounds each tent which they are only running 400w MH and 300w LED per. Speaking of which I have a 5'f x 5'f single Malawi going right now. The Malawi probably has over 100 tops alone. Then there are always popcorn buds which if you trim a lot of them upper fan leaves off them popcorns turn into mini tops. Mini tops account for over 30% yield and if you read my post that's over a pound per tent. One plant with crazy thick stems no matter how short can grow into a monster.

Green_science

I like this thread, I like some of the people in it, I also like dancing in the street ....... not sure how relevant that is.

I have a single room running half a mega watt in flower, 500KW with around 5000 plants, in this room I have automated light rails but these are not used for moving lights. I love de-fo'ing, but do not have the time to de-foe this room, so I hang jigsaw's from the light movers, around 4 weeks in to bloom, I turn jigsaw's on a steady low speed and let the light rails do their work, it gives me a surprisingly nice trim without harming plants too much , I would do it by hand but there is only 2 of us, and even if I worked 10 hour days, well you get it.......

So yeh the jigsaws 20 of them in total, just hang around bouncing around the room on a slow speed setting (this is vital), it is also vital that you use "Tile blades". for ceramics, my plants REALLY seem to love it, and through experience I have noticed better yields when using the jigsaws and yes I have tried using heavier machinery, chainsaw, and the likes, but the bouncing jigsaws seem to work best, they also aren't as heavy on my electricity.

Peace GS

DunHav`nFun

I like this thread, I like some of the people in it, I also like dancing in the street ....... not sure how relevant that is.

I have a single room running half a mega watt in flower, 500KW with around 5000 plants, in this room I have automated light rails but these are not used for moving lights. I love de-fo'ing, but do not have the time to de-foe this room, so I hang jigsaw's from the light movers, around 4 weeks in to bloom, I turn jigsaw's on a steady low speed and let the light rails do their work, it gives me a surprisingly nice trim without harming plants too much , I would do it by hand but there is only 2 of us, and even if I worked 10 hour days, well you get it.......

So yeh the jigsaws 20 of them in total, just hang around bouncing around the room on a slow speed setting (this is vital), it is also vital that you use "Tile blades". for ceramics, my plants REALLY seem to love it, and through experience I have noticed better yields when using the jigsaws and yes I have tried using heavier machinery, chainsaw, and the likes, but the bouncing jigsaws seem to work best, they also aren't as heavy on my electricity.

Peace GS
I`ve GOT ta see that GS....sneak a couple pics in here for us enquiring minds....maybe Dr Fever will call bullshit on some of your massive setups...lol....You got anything different runnin these days Bro?....anyways...

Gladta see yas back visitin....Bouncin jigsaws.......I GOT ta see THAT.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

Jbomber79

Veteran
Willy Wonka Canna Factory

Willy Wonka Canna Factory

Post pic = win pic of the month!

Peace GS

DunHav`nFun

Guaranteed , this guy don`t play....If he says bouncing jigsaws trimming and shaping 5000 plants with 500,000 watts , then all I can say is show these guys howta do it and ya`ll get ready.......

Go look at GS`s thread in Indoor Soil and see howta run megawattage without massive A/C and CO2 supplements , and you`ll ALL quickly see that his setups are tight........

Enquiring minds wanna see bouncing jigsaw trim and shape techniques .....aight I lied.....

I wanna see some shit that lets me know how much things are rockin waaaay harder in the EURO sector compared to the West Coast and all legal setups in our neck of the woods from what you`ve shown in the past....I`m just sayin....

Looks like you`ve got us hands down on plant numbers AND production , along with fixed higher prices and bottom line returns....anyways.....

Respect GS...Show me some shit my buddy.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:..

Latest posts

Latest posts