What's new

Florida to drug test Welfare recipiients.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
i see lots of people suggesting government employees should be tested...
the implication therein is they are not.
having worked for FDOT and several different county road and survey departments i can assure you (in florida at least) they are ALL subject to preemployment,random and post "incident" screening.

Billy Jack

$2.00 spent for every $1.00 saved. Brilliant.

Tricky Rick wins again. Its nothing more than an ideological maneuver to pander to his Tea Party and ultra conservative base.

Scott has a proven track record of fleecing seniors and vets already, time to move on to the next victims I guess.

Can't wait to see what scandal this fool gets himself into next.

superbolan

Its ridiculous for people here to assume because your smoking it your buying it, I havent bought any in years. Friends smoke with friends. If someone's having hard times damn they deserve to chill occasionally. The economy in florida sucks you cant lump people in with being moochers or leeches because they fell on hard times. Thats like classifying all smokers as druggies, its just wrong

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Its ridiculous for people here to assume because your smoking it your buying it, I havent bought any in years. Friends smoke with friends. If someone's having hard times damn they deserve to chill occasionally. The economy in florida sucks you cant lump people in with being moochers or leeches because they fell on hard times. Thats like classifying all smokers as druggies, its just wrong
But you still receive Welfare???

Try growing better/more pot.
:blowbubbles:

I got a new system to figure out if a single-mom should get Welfare.
It's called a 'lap-dance'!

superbolan

No, I don't receive welfare, and i left florida years ago. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Wrong is wrong

ROJO145

Veteran
i see lots of people suggesting government employees should be tested...
the implication therein is they are not.
having worked for FDOT and several different county road and survey departments i can assure you (in florida at least) they are ALL subject to preemployment,random and post "incident" screening.

Then you realize that tests hardly ever happen,I get high with a bunch a civil servants and road crew cats,in NY and Fla,like the rest of us they cheat the initial piss test,theres hardly ever to never a random,and if ya have an accident your fucked!Big Deal...Mandatory testing to get your check,just like the they are doing in Fla for poor folk!!

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
No, I don't receive welfare, and i left florida years ago. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Wrong is wrong
that bit of eloquence changed my mind!!!!
but we should go further...
means testing is a bit intrusive!
if you say you need it;you need it!

Billy Jack

Agreed.

Another dangerous assumption is that all Welfare recipients are lazy, drug addicts trying to get a free ride from the government. Where I live (in Florida) there are county workers, soldiers and single moms struggling to get by and yes, they are on Welfare. Is this the face of Welfare that most of you imagine? I'm sure there are those that scam and cheat but not the majority and this has been proven by the DCF in a study conducted from 1999 to 2001 in Duval and Putnam counties. Nearly 9000 individuals were drug screened and they only found 355 people that tested positive. This program cost the taxpayers over two million.....that's at least $5500 per positive test.

Does anyone else see the irony of Rick Scott trying to catch people who steal from the gov?

I understand that Rick Scott transfered his ownership in the clinics that will do the testing over to his wife before he was sworn in. So now he can get rich on the easiest victims, the poor and the down and out. Nobody will be coming to the aid of the druggies, the consumer class will welcome what they see as retribution against those "getting incredible kicks on things they will never know."

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran

A=355 busted recipients
B=annual costs(15,000 based on maximum benefit without admin costs)
A+B=5,325,000
5.3-2.0= 3.3 million in savings...
3.3/9000=$366 per test savings....
the -$5500 per positive test should be labeled
"ideology only"

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Unemployment is money the gov't pays you to look for a job.
Agreeing to look for a job is a prerequisite for recieveing unemployment.
Unemployment should not be treated as free money, but it is.

I agree, you shouldnt be having kids, if you cant afford to pay for their upbringing. But unfortunately, their are plenty of fuckups, who have no problem pumping out children before they have established any type of independent life. AND I agree, fuck those people, and i would love to cut them off, but their children are completely innocent, and having shitheads for parents is probably bad enough. Offering them no support would completely doom them to grow up like shitheads. (We could spend days arguing what percentage are doomed anyway having shithead parents.)

As far as food stamps go, you shouldnt be able to buy carbonated drinks, junk food or candy, and a picture ID and thumb print should be necessary to redeem them. That is was is necessary to cash a check at its bank, thumb print biometrics is VERY cheap now, and its not asking too much to prevent selling of food stamps. [/rant]

By accepting unemployment benefits, you are agreeing to look for a job. Bottom line.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Agreed.

Another dangerous assumption is that all Welfare recipients are lazy, drug addicts trying to get a free ride from the government. Where I live (in Florida) there are county workers, soldiers and single moms struggling to get by and yes, they are on Welfare. Is this the face of Welfare that most of you imagine? I'm sure there are those that scam and cheat but not the majority and this has been proven by the DCF in a study conducted from 1999 to 2001 in Duval and Putnam counties. Nearly 9000 individuals were drug screened and they only found 355 people that tested positive. This program cost the taxpayers over two million.....that's at least $5500 per positive test.

Does anyone else see the irony of Rick Scott trying to catch people who steal from the gov?

Irony yes. Here's typical, Medicare crime busted in Florida:

"Officials in Miami reported breaking a Medicare fraud ring that they say spanned five states, used 29 fake storefronts and tried to steal $100 million from Medicare and Medicare Advantage. Eight defendants were charged in the elaborate scam that the authorities say billed Medicare for bogus H.I.V. and cancer infusion drugs using storefronts in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina, the authorities said. Two of the defendants and about $30 million are still missing."
This ain't welfare queens, this is criminal enterprise.

Speaking of criminal enterprise...

Here's ol' Rick being fined seventeen-hundred-times what the above example stole. One, single mother fucker.

I wonder how much ol' Rick pocketed to pay a $1.7 billion dollar fine?

Rick Scott's company, Columbia/HCA, paid a $1.7 billion settlement after pleading guilty to several charges. The fraud was so rampant under Scott's leadership that some documents were brazenly "stamped with warnings that they should not be disclosed to Medicare auditors," "some hospitals were knowingly inflating the numbers reported to the Government in the cost report to improperly raise total compensation," and they "improperly included expenses for employee picnics, Christmas gifts and food for nonemployees at social functions as expenditures related to patient care in the cost report for its headquarters."
Columbia/HCA pled guilty to "overcharging the government," "exaggerating the seriousness of the illnesses" of patients, and giving doctors kickbacks in order to receive higher Medicare payments. Well done. It takes a special kind of person to steal money from a program that helps hardworking Americans.
What kind of warped sense of reasoning wraps bigotry around so-called welfare queens and ignores systemic, executive fraud?

The same warped reasoning that doesn't care if Scott rips off the same people. All Scott has to do is pander to this warped sense of reasoning and whatta ya know?... he gets to be governor.

How far does one have to stick their head up their ass to allow ideology to trump common sense? I don't know but the ideological purist must have a long neck.

outinit

Does the governor have to submit to drug testing before he gets his money? I can see why he feels that it might be a good idea to drug test welfare recipients, after all, who wants to pay for someone else to get high? But it seems like we the people need to have the same ability as government does. We should be able to drug test our elected officials, as they are able to drug test us. And, the governor does not realize that he will be bringing alot of misery to alot of kids by doing this. Oh yeah, they can't vote, so who cares. If he is looking to save the taxpayers money, then he shouldn't do it on the backs of our most vulnerable, the children.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
If he is looking to save the taxpayers money.........

:rtfo::jump::bis::groupwave::trampoline:

Why does Scott even deserve this kind of setup? He's the biggest rip in Medicare history, got caught, plead guilty and paid the biggest fine in Medicare history.

Why does THE biggest medicare fraud in the history of the program get to lead the state?

So he can rip off Florida (and the entire nation) w/o being fined.

Billy Jack

:rtfo::jump::bis::groupwave::trampoline:

Why does Scott even deserve this kind of setup? He's the biggest rip in Medicare history, got caught, plead guilty and paid the biggest fine in Medicare history.

Why does THE biggest medicare fraud in the history of the program get to lead the state?

So he can rip off Florida (and the entire nation) w/o being fined.

It's pathetic isn't it? I overheard a few guys the other day mentioning their "voters remorse" and it was all I could do to be silent. Is anyone really surprised by his actions? Just another national embarrassment for Florida.

A $2 million inauguration ceremony when our state is in some serious turmoil? I almost miss "Chain Gang Charlie".

outinit

It is very unfortunate that the elected officials are the biggest crooks out there. But this is typical big business/big government. Everyone profits except those the laws are supposed to protect. There will be a day when we the people have to stop turning a blind eye to the transgressions of our elected officials, and STOP them from burying the USA. Until then, we just have to take a seat and watch them demolish our economy, trample our rights, ruin our standing in the international community, and get richer off our backs.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Why should u get welfare if your on drugs ? Oh thats right the rest of America should pay 4 your habits! That why this country is where it is right now. If you receive welfare benefits and your doing drugs your priorities are all Fucked up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so poor people do drugs, the financially solvent take medicine

its a ruse to simply establish an income stream based on a perception of fixing leaks in the budget

what a fucking joke

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
It is very unfortunate that the elected officials are the biggest crooks out there. But this is typical big business/big government.

How does Rick Scott, the biggest fraudster-criminal in the history of Medicare enjoy the status of typical big business/government?

Folks aren't overwhelmed by reasoning and logic. They're overwhelmed by ideology and the pandering that insures they'll never know the difference between the rabbit and the skunk.