What's new

Florida Growers Thread; Reloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
On the other hand

On the other hand

Here is one of the crosses I made with Sticky Icky Gonzo #2 although a very strong argument can be made that the other genetics in the cross had much more to do with the end product than the Gonzo.

Originally crossed a female Medijuana with a male Pakistan Chitral (not ACE but a nice plant all the same) and then crossed one of those females with the male Gonzo. I popped 30 of these last year and didn't get anything spectacular but they still looked promising enough that I made a note that I wanted to try them again. So parental line looks like ((Medijuana x Pakistan Chitral) x Gonzo)

Popped 15 this year, chopped 10 males and these were the best two females. Here is where it gets a little interesting - the one looks very much like the Gonzo although the smell is much sweeter, almost candy like.

picture.php

picture.php

Now it's sister purpled up like crazy with very little cold weather and has a grape candy smell that I could smell from 20 feet away with very little air movement.

I honestly have no idea how either of these will smoke or what aromas they will retain but they are both hung as full plants and I will dry trim and jar in a couple weeks when they are dry enough.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Naturally all the clones of the purple pheno didn't root and I got 4 of the other one......

P-NUT

Veteran
Cat and I will have to get together and have a smoke session with the same strains to see if organic tastes different from chem. Im all organic and have been pretty much since I started outdoors in soil amended with horse and cowshit when I was 15. Ive tried a few bottled chem nutes over the years but you cant beat free and straight water. I taught someone close to me to grow and he uses 4 30 gallon smart pots per 600 w light and pulls 1.5 per light. Hes only at his spot every 3 or 4 days and only gives them tap water. He harvest, cuts out old rootball where the cup was and throws in a new cut then topdresses some alfalfa, neem meal, kelp meal and every other cycle fish bone meal and throws some castings over that. Then veg for 2 weeks, take cuts and flip. Couldnt be easier and people love the taste of the herb.

Catatafish

Veteran
Ive done both ways. We ran similar setups for awhile. For me it comes down to a matter of time (i have a more than full-time job, this is just a hobby), security, storage, (which in relates security) and consistency. Plus i like to learn different things so i venture off the path sometimes. Mixing tubs a soil in a fucking hot garage in the middle of summer heat is something i dont miss at the moment. I dont have the luxury of a large piece a land and non-nosey neighbors either.

You can fuck either way up or you can kill it as well.

One thing i found with organics is it seems to impart a similar smell and taste amongst different stains. Now im not saying the taste & smell the same, but there is some common denominator there in the background. Im not saying this is a good or bad thing but just something i noticed. This may be why organic heads like it better? My better salt runs i haven't noticed this. Salt runs also seem to force me to learn more as well.

To each his own. Both ways have pro's and cons as with anything in life. Also dont forget that the mind is a very powerful influence on all things. I realize this in other things in life and it makes me ponder it about other subjects i havent thought about it before, such as this discussion.

Some of the best tasting and strongest stuff i used to get back in the day i know was run on 4x4's in RW. I have yet to be able to replicate that with either method but those dudes had been doing it for many many many moons before me and were ace's at it. They were also very stingy with parting with it :) so when it came you enjoyed it (mind?).

This debate reminds me of analog vs digital. I love me some analog but there is certain things you cant do very well and need to resort to a different tool.

Catatafish

Veteran
One other note, somethings i say people say are easy are a pain in the ass to me. And im sure they look at somethings i do and think the same. Different strokes for different folks.

I cant think of the word at the moment to describe me .... but i can look at some these "easy" methods and pick out about 10 things that would drive me nuts in my current state of mind. As im sure the same could be said in reverse.

I also have to break the monotony sometimes so in six months my thinking could reverse just to get out of the ho-hum.

Coba

Veteran
definitely there's that undertone that you guys are talking about.

I totally believe plants can pick up flavors... like a good sommelier that has different wine and beer aroma kits and how people describe how certain wine tastes like the french contryside. I think certain brands of bone meal give this nasty sour note that I know crosses into each plant somehow everything that year had that same sour nasty sour note that was yuck. I haven't used since and haven't tasted it since. there is, in my mind, truth to that.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Wow looks like i stirred up a hornets nest lol! Thanks for the replys, so from what i'm reading it all comes down to personal preference and prefered growing style. In my honest opinion Genetics are still the primary keys to success regardless of your taste or preference on growing style. I have an interest in Organics and would like to someday do a real side by side so i can find those subtitle differences for myself after all that's really the only way i'll know for sure right?
As for my plants here's an update! they have greened up nicely but also shot up to just over a foot that's to tall i need bushy plants not tall ones and i've kept the light no more than an inch from the canopy ( 4 foot 4 bulb t5 high output) i'm hoping that if i top them and get them under more light they will bush out nicely, how much should i do away with when i top them?

B

blue_tick

i agree with the different strokes for different folks. i just made the comment as this is the way i grow. i have grown in promix,coco,aeroponics and know amended mix and water only.so it is a matter of preference i just find it simpler and cost effective to go soil/soiless and i know what was in the mix and have not read up on what's in the chemical/synthetic side. was not intended to step on toe's or anything just my opinion

peace

B

blue_tick

aspen

pinch one node off each branch she will fill out for you. or you can tie the branches down to the container they are in and put them in bloom if they are a stretchy plant

peace

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
hicksticky has 5 of my WIFI6xGG4 seeds I made @ week 5 veg I believe....he posted picture in C4's thread and don't think he would mind me sharing it here. I have 4 seedlings up as well.
picture.php

Catatafish

Veteran
There's no hornets nest at least not with me...I dont discriminate on fertigate....I'll smoke either method. Its all pink, i mean, green on the inside right?

Done a lot worse things in life than smoke some chem grown bud. Probably some on a daily basis without much knowledge of either that's impossible to avoid.

Catatafish

Veteran
Thanks for the replys, so from what i'm reading it all comes down to personal preference and prefered growing style. In my honest opinion Genetics are still the primary keys to success regardless of your taste or preference on growing style. ?

I would say gens then environment before any type of nutrient should even be considered as a major factor. Even the best organic or salt regimen elite grown in satans asshole is probably going to taste, look, and smell like, well, shit. :moon:

Catatafish

Veteran
hicksticky has 5 of my WIFI6xGG4 seeds I made @ week 5 veg I believe....he posted picture in C4's thread and don't think he would mind me sharing it here. I have 4 seedlings up as well.
View Image

Thats bound to be some good smoke unreg. Interested to see the finished results. People seem to be pulling good gg4 s1's on the regular.

I find it interesting they are sort of bean-poling....but now that i think about it, i believe the seed run did as well until i topped em. But GG4 can be a little unruly with the branching too. Huh.

RockinRobot

There's no hornets nest at least not with me...I dont discriminate on fertigate....I'll smoke either method. Its all pink, i mean, green on the inside right?

Done a lot worse things in life than smoke some chem grown bud. Probably some on a daily basis without much knowledge of either that's impossible to avoid.

Couldn't say it better myself... If it's fire I'll smoke it no matter how it's grown.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
dawn patrol

sweeeeeet. organic hands down peace

You have grown some trees my friend, it works for you for sure!

Very nice DP!

Thanks Unreg!

Hes only at his spot every 3 or 4 days and only gives them tap water. He harvest, cuts out old rootball where the cup was and throws in a new cut then topdresses some alfalfa, neem meal, kelp meal and every other cycle fish bone meal and throws some castings over that. Then veg for 2 weeks, take cuts and flip. Couldnt be easier and people love the taste of the herb.

The key for me is not being there every day - if your buddy used non chorinated/chloramined water he would get even better results than using tap water unless he is on a well and it is not treated water. I sometimes forget that is an option for folks not in an incorporated area.

You can fuck either way up or you can kill it as well.

Truth

One thing i found with organics is it seems to impart a similar smell and taste amongst different strains.

Have noticed this as well

To each his own. Both ways have pro's and cons as with anything in life. This debate reminds me of analog vs digital. I love me some analog but there is certain things you cant do very well and need to resort to a different tool.

Amen Brother, figure out what works for you and master that!

I totally believe plants can pick up flavors... I think certain brands of bone meal give this nasty sour note that I know crosses into each plant somehow everything that year had that same sour nasty sour note that was yuck. I haven't used since and haven't tasted it since. there is, in my mind, truth to that.

Garbage in, garbage out. Lowest common denominator (Wal Mart, HD, Lowes) will give you the worst result. There are a number of high quality purveyors of organic amendments out there but the shipping cost seems to throw most people off. I just don't get it - if it was in a fancy package and had a ton of marketing hype and slick ads people throw fistfuls of money at it, but ask them to pay to ship what looks like a 20 lb bag of sand and they won't do it??

Wow looks like i stirred up a hornets nest lol!

This is why I love you all!!! Aspenou legit brought up this topic and nobody lost their shit or started insulting anybody else. Positions were stated, opinions were presented and nobody got butthurt or started talking shit.

It always makes me happy when I see this thread near the top because it's almost always been a group of people just trying to help each other grow better.

i just find it simpler and cost effective to go soil/soiless and i know what was in the mix and have not read up on what's in the chemical/synthetic side. was not intended to step on toe's or anything just my opinionpeace

So many times I've dreamed about putting a hydro setup (RDWC, DTW, hempy buckets) outside to get the best of both worlds but I've never been able to conceptualize success. It's not that I don't want to try salts/synthetics, I just don't believe it will work outdoors in my situation.

I would say gens then environment before any type of nutrient should even be considered as a major factor. Even the best organic or salt regimen elite grown in satans asshole is probably going to taste, look, and smell like, well, shit. :moon:

Truth! Thanks again to all for participating in a discussion instead of a flame war :tiphat:

Aspenou812

Veteran
aspen

pinch one node off each branch she will fill out for you. or you can tie the branches down to the container they are in and put them in bloom if they are a stretchy plant

peace

You lost me there do you have any pictures? I thought the nodes were where the stem and branch met

B

blue_tick

aspen

i don't have pix of the actual pinch off at the node's it is almost like cutting clones . the nodes will go all the way up each branch where the new shoots are. i just pinch them at the end of each branch and the little shoots below that will grow out and make it fill out . once my plants get big enough i will be able to give you pix then but it will be to late to benefit you at this point. some of these guy's in here that grow's scroge should be able to help you out with a height issue. if you look in the ace thread for tangwena he has pix of training methods used for stretch issue's . here is a pix of what they look like with the prune done outdoors just to give you an idea what the plant does by filling out

B

blue_tick

dp

i hear ya on the outdoor hydro. closet thing i can think of would be coco but even then it would be a watering issue with out digging a retention area for pumps and all. i wonder why the boy's out west have not tried it with the watering systems they have with the big water reservoir other than it is a to big of a cost with ferts.

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts