What's new

FlipBox BY PowerBox??

Doradoguy

so what exactly what the problem with "hot flipping" again? is that what avenger and mad penguin was referring to?
THere is no problem. Just a matter how safe you want to be. Flipping both hot legs on the 220 or just one leaving one hot leg at the socket. I have done it both ways. Personally I only flip one hot leg but for customers I flip both.

Avenger

Veteran
Still here.

and I see HortiControl still advertises as UL compliant. Did you guys get the testing done yet?

:wave:

Doradoguy

Still here.

and I see HortiControl still advertises as UL compliant. Did you guys get the testing done yet?

:wave:
Hey Avenger,
Maybe you could chime in and give our friend the 411. I don't have the energy for it.

BTW I see lots of sparks (acring) either way.

yea what doradoguy said...

whats the difference Avenger?

how would you build a flip with 1k digital ballast on 220/240

how many AND what KIND of relays per x ballast

powering the ballast off and then on again? or just leaving it on "hotflipping"

Doradoguy

yea what doradoguy said...

whats the difference Avenger?

how would you build a flip with 1k digital ballast on 220/240

how many AND what KIND of relays per x ballast

powering the ballast off and then on again? or just leaving it on "hotflipping"
What exactly are you trying to do? How many ballast? How far are the rooms. And do you lean agaist cost verses safety?

i seen Avenger putting a big stink....

so i wanna know why... and how he would.

him and madpenguin pointed out/had some very good points. i just wanted to know the reasoning behind it for future reference

but was it really to flame/compete against the other company makers?

ya got lil ol me here asking for help and they are no where to be found :D

One Love 731

Veteran
This has been made so hard, seems were to believe these are dangerous, they ark, sparks. I call bullshit. I have been running 30amp relays long enough to know this can be done safe with 20$ dollar relays, flipping hot. Whats all the arguing about, way to much flaming here. Cant we all just get along. Karma, One Love

Doradoguy

This has been made so hard, seems were to believe these are dangerous, they ark, sparks. I call bullshit. I have been running 30amp relays long enough to know this can be done safe with 20$ dollar relays, flipping hot. Whats all the arguing about, way to much flaming here. Cant we all just get along. Karma, One Love
Peace. This is an old thread.

thank you!!!! someone with something

i was starting to think all we had on this thread was corporate dudes battling one another!

so One love...any specific 30amp relay?

Avenger

Veteran
I explained why the need to switch both the leads numerous times. If you don't if poses a shock hazzard.

Any relay with these specs will qualify for a flip flop:

atleast 10 amps@ 600 volts inductive load.

double pole double throw if your ballast is powered by 240 volts

single pole double throw is acceptable if your ballast is powered by 120 volts.

Doradoguy

:bump:
I explained why the need to switch both the leads numerous times. If you don't if poses a shock hazzard.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
I run a cheap timer with a relay.

I have the GE 15071 on a spst 120 side for veg lights..... and an AUBE T1033 on a DPST for the 240v flower side. Changing up the spst for dpst on the veg side, for 240 soon

I saw you said the GE's fail and are garbage.... I'm wondering out of the 3 which should I go with when the GE fails..... if it does?

Cheers
Smiley

ty ty!!!

so me trying to find a relay for 4000 volts would be nonsense right?

been doing some research and found out that thas the output of it....

http://members.misty.com/don/hidexp.html

PEAK VOLTAGE NECESSARY FOR STARTING:

Mercury 400 watts or less and the H34 1000 watt mercury: 250 volts, and 220 usually works.
Metal halide 175-400 watts: 500 volts, 450 usually works.
Metal halide 1000 watts or more: 600 volts?
Metal halide under 175 watts and other pulse start models: At least 1500, possibly as much as 2500 volts.
High pressure sodium 35-100 watts: 2500 volts!
High pressure sodium 150-1000 watts: 4000 volts!
High pressure sodium mercury retrofit 150-360 watts: 300 volts.
Automotive 35W xenon metal halide: 7-10 kilovolts, 12-15 kilovolts for hot restrike, 18 to maybe even 20 kilovolts for truly reliable in all cases hot restrike.

am i on the right track here? or should i not worry about those 4000 volts?

and avenger...was that in reference to digital ballast hot flipping or magnetic ballast as well? doesnt matter huh? both kinds of ballast?