What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flavor Is Price of Scarlet Hue of Tomatoes, Study Finds

djonkoman

Veteran
glad most of the tomatoplants in my garden are heirlooms... got them for free as plants, could be 3 different varieties(brandywine yellow or black, or purple russian)

the trade off of how it looks vs. how it tastes also aplies to strawberries, when I was a kid we had strawberries from our own garden, so I've never been able to eat storebought strawberries, storebought strawberries are always watery and have a nasty dry/powdery core. they do look bigger and more uniform. but with strawberries from own garden I notice that the ones that look ugly, with a weird shape with multiple points for example, are often the best-tasting.

jamminman

Heirloom seed stock is a must have for the rational gardener. If I was planning a food garden I would have to plant all heirloom seed, it is rightly important.

Abraham Lincoln
Brandywine
Heinz
Box Car Willie
Mortgage Lifter
Rutgers
St. Pierre
Super Sioux
Bonnie Best

^ Heirloom tomato varieties people may want to check out, a bit late in the season but for next year perhaps.
Not to pick on your list but didn't see San Marzano there. Man I love tomatoes!
yay.gif
If you can grow ANYTHING, it is one of the two plants that can't be left out.:biggrin: Second in order of importance, fallowed by a list of about 12 if you got room.
I have found myself gravitating away from the red production line looking ones all my life anyway.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This article is so cool, I finally know why my friends tomatoes make the most incredible pasta sauces!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Oldest seed slingers in the US. Catalog of heirloom seeds - $5.

http://www.landrethseeds.com/

I'll have to try heinz. Up to now my favorite is better boy. Yields well, tart not sweet. The only drawback is the core's a little bigger than typical.

I live in a farm valley and last years production crop sucked. Mine were a little better. The late ones tasted better than earlies, makes me wonder if excess heat doesn't help taste.

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
DB- You know its those cool nights and warm days that lets the brix develop.

Seed slinging Amish gangsters my ass

Heirlooms are nice, but you always need a few bushels of Roma to make a good sauce. Im not sure Ive ever grown an heirloom Roma. That should be on my list for next year, maybe some Russian big reds or something naughty good.

Pure Brandywine or other varieties with a sharp acidity that matches the high sugar content to produce the amazing flavor we all like are just too much in a stand alone setting.