What's new

fish 5-1-1

troutman

Seed Whore
It's made for plants. Worms don't need that. ;)

One thing I like to throw in my worm bins from time to time is organic wheat seeds from a health food store.
I soak them for up to 10 hours in cold water and scatter them on the surface of the worm bin soil. They grow
easily like lawn grass and after a week you have a jungle for the worms to play in. I use a pair of scissors to
trim the ends to feed them worms.

Here's a closeup with a Euro worm circled. The little white chips are crushed eggs shells.

fetch

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I've never had a worm bin but given what I've heard about worms I'd be surprised if fish emulsion killed them unless maybe it was so much they were swimming in it and had no way to climb above it.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
It's made for plants. Worms don't need that. ;)

One thing I like to throw in my worm bins from time to time is organic wheat seeds from a health food store.
I soak them for up to 10 hours in cold water and scatter them on the surface of the worm bin soil. They grow
easily like lawn grass and after a week you have a jungle for the worms to play in. I use a pair of scissors to
trim the ends to feed them worms.

Here's a closeup with a Euro worm circled. The little white chips are crushed eggs shells.

fetch

I did this with old unpoppen popcorn. I trimmed them every few days and they did grow back.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I use some of the Alaskan Fish 5-1-1 and the Neptune's harvest while cooking the soil. The microbes love it.

CrushnYuba

Don't know how your worm bin is set up. But the right nitrogin to carbon ratio will compost very hot and may fry a wormie. Fish juice is very high in n.

Rico Swazi

Worms are just one part of the equation. Other forms of living organisms are affected by a overapplication of some 'thing' or another. IMO its not the nitrogen but the phosphoric acid/heavy metals in 5-1-1 and the effect that has on bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi months to years down the road.

Fish
hydrolysate is a better option and DIY easy

Mr Jay

Veteran
Fish 5-1-1 is very acidic, if you poured it in undiluted rip worms in that part.

Give them scraps, not ferts.

Latest posts

Latest posts