What's new

First time burying cable - need tips

G

grow nerd

Have you compared the cost of 9 #6's to 1 1/0, or 3 50a sub panel vs. 1 150a panel. You can balance the load from 1 panel you don't need 3.
Yes, and it's quite a bit higher to get a single run by the foot than a pre-measured spool. Again, flexibility of conduit was a slight consideration as well for ease of installation. (Or presumed.)

Also, no pop-in 150A breaker from my main panel.

So in this case, two runs of #4 or one run of #2 and an extra #6 or so?

And why would running two panels be any more advantageous over three? Each panel costs about $25 after all fittings (tax, ground bar, knockout fittings, etc). Getting wire by-the-foot costs much, much more. What advantages do I gain, again? Besides maybe conduit & wire that's more difficult to work with... and a higher price... wait, that's not an advantage.

Grow nerd, your going to kill yourself or someone else in the future.

Lots of bad advice given on this thread with only a few people giving good advice.

Please do this the correct way and stop having a complete lack of respect for electricity. I guarantee your going to hurt your self or someone else with that attitude.

The Penguin is right on with this one. The fire might not be for another 10 years (highly doubtful), but you are really exhibiting a careless and reckless disregard for electricity and whoever is unfortunate enough to move into this place when you move on. Anybody gets hurt in the fire, the powers that be will come after you, bone up on statute of limitations.

G

grow nerd

First off, no one is moving into this place with the breakers and wires in place. Actually the underground wires might be, but they won't be live I assure you.

I'm not here for advice on how to handle move-in's and move-out's, sorry, I'm leagues above all of you in that game. Also not looking for moral support.

While everyone else is sitting around moping about "it can't be done; it can't be done; it can't be done!", I'm figuring out the right way to get it done in a rental in a timely fashion while you guys are still moping about "it can't be done" (and "go rent a trencher" (for a rental house?)).

Again, maybe some of you have forgotten what the weed growing game is all about. Grinding out a paycheck certainly is the safe way to go.

Sorry if I offended anyone for any reason. I like to speak my mind from time to time.

(PS - Thanks to this thread I've sourced some THWN-specific-rated cable @ supply shops for less than Home Depot's THHN.)

Danks2005

Shit Grow Nerd, I would pull that wire out and throw it in pile of grow shit for the next one. Or scrap it and get a little of your $ back, been between 2-3$ a lb for a bit now.

Yeah you are right they do bend you over, buying by the ft., make sure you check the electrical supply houses and not home depot lowes, though. Shop around for wire.

Be safe Dont do anything hot, not even racking in a breaker in, pull the meter or throw the main if you got one. This shit don't just shock or worse electricute, it will also maim you, go to youtube look at some arc flash/blast videos, even "small" 120V shit can blow the fuck up, watch some videos then decide if you know enough to DIY. Sorry for the rant but people should know the dangers.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any "W" designation in wire is for wet locations. THWN
the 80% rule deals w/ continuous loads
code states that that is any load that lasts 3 hours +
aka grow lighting schedules.

you're correct w/ the 150a breaker not snapping into your main panel.
it could be a can of worms for you to make that 150a happen.
best to leave that to a pro if you go that way.

G

grow nerd

Danks2005, which wire? The THWN I just got? I haven't pulled a single foot of underground wire, yet.

cocktail frank, thanks for clarifying. Was a bit confused as I had heard of "100% rated equipment" (90C) typically being available / used only at power distribution centers, etc. (i.e., high end equipment not found at residences), so I thought that might have some significance to NM-B derating... obviously wrong...

dmt

Veteran
i just wanna say i do the same thing you are planning to. my lanlord found out his tenants grew in his double garage for 15 years, then fanished like a fart in the wind one night, and left him with a fuck load of undercoded electricity and building.

i found him on craigslist advertisinfg i was legal and looking for a compassionate land lord, so we both won in a sense. i got a 200 amp service in and the illegal tap removed. the main panel has a 100 amp cord strung out from the house to the garage, and there is a subpanel there, with breakers for 2 phase ac(50 amp) and a 60 amp breakers for a timer board which controls all the lights, then 3 15 amo breakers for the pumps, fans, green lights you name it.

i also worked with car hoists for a time, building from scratch, and have ran oil line, electrical you name it through conduit, im also a disables stone mason(retired injury) so i just want you to know im not tryna be a dumbass and want you to do well.

never let monitary gain(savings) dictate how you set up a grow; or jail, death, gangs, rippers etc will soon follow from this neglect imvho. playing catch up in any business is a recipe for failure, my old mento always said "haste makes for waste", d

G

grow nerd

Ok, I totally understand the "don't cut unnecessary corners", but how will I gain from having two subpanels instead of three? What will be the significant advantage (if any at all) from running larger gauge wire with a larger breaker, if I can balance my load properly? From what I can see so far, the answer seems to be "none" except "higher cost" (and that's a disadvantage).

I know it's not wise to look only at costs, but when that's the only thing that's different, I'll choose to get more bang for my buck, thanks.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
If you are planning more than one year there, what is an extra $1,000 for a professional job on a proper Sub panel, empasis on being ONE subpanel. With extra slots as your needs grow, it just pays in the end to hire a professional. I know I was bitter with sticker shock at first, but as time went by, I said 'fuck it, it was worth it.'

P.S. If you know what you are doing, then why are you asking for guidance...It seems clear that you don't know a shit-ton about electricity.

G

grow nerd

Rednick, I'm asking for guidance exactly because I don't know what I'm doing, as I've clearly stated in my first post. Isn't that why you ask for help? I guess you go around asking for help when you already know the answers, just because you have nothing better to do?

Umm, "professional job" typically requires home ownership and other red flags that I'm not going to go through. You guys do it that way and stop lecturing me like I'm a child, I've already chosen my path.

By the way, will a "pro job" get me a single-panel solution w/o pulling a permit? And what will be the big advantage to having a single panel, if I can balance my load just as efficiently with 3?

Rednick

Veteran
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

You do it however you want to, just know that even though I am not an electrician, many others giving you similar advice are. It just does not make sense that you would cut corners on something that you intend to leave...
Otherwise you might as well hang the line and fuck any burried shit!

Professional job?
You may be surprised how many electicians would do work if you didn't tell them what you were doing. Fuck, you are putting a hot tub in the guest house.

Just DON'T burn the guest house down, please. It makes me look bad.

G

grow nerd

Rednick, you didn't answer any of my questions.

A hot tub doesn't require a 150A run. And WTF do you need a subpanel for a hot tub for?

Also, even if this could all get done in a timely fashion (doubtful after applying for permits, getting homeowner permission, coming up with a plan for cover, etc.) that means I have to rely on these "pros" in the future over, and over, and over. This isn't my first project, and it certainly won't be my last. I'd rather become the pro and do it myself.

That's the whole point!

See, that's what separates you and I. I find out what my obstacles and limitations are and I swiftly work around them and make things happen. You just balk at every obstacle and come up with excuses on why it can't be done. And I do mean the general you, not Rednick in specific.

Danks2005

How many breaker spaces do you have in your 50a sub panels? My guess is not as many as you could have with a larger panel. 150A panel would give you more available circuits, making it more versitile. You may not need that many circuits now, but maybe in the future. If you do this all the time, your prolly gonna want to take this stuff with you when you leave, you will be less restricted on a 150A. Bigger, badder, is better, thats why.LOL.

madpenguin

I'm asking for guidance exactly because I don't know what I'm doing

stop lecturing me like I'm a child, I've already chosen my path.

Then why are you still posting on this thread? Go do your hack job and then when you move out and your landlord calls me to fix the shit, I'll make some cash.

G

grow nerd

How many breaker spaces do you have in your 50a sub panels? My guess is not as many as you could have with a larger panel. 150A panel would give you more available circuits, making it more versitile. You may not need that many circuits now, but maybe in the future. If you do this all the time, your prolly gonna want to take this stuff with you when you leave, you will be less restricted on a 150A. Bigger, badder, is better, thats why.LOL.
Are you fucking serious?! :confused: More breaker spaces?! Is that the best you can come up with on why I should pay thousands more, go through red flags, red tape, spend extra time, etc?!

You should get back to reading and stop posting. Sorry, no offense.

G

grow nerd

Then why are you still posting on this thread?
Umm, doing my homework as usual. See, I learned very quickly (as usual) on how to get the job done right. Unlike most. Are you mad (is that how you got your name?) because some guy who didn't go through years training is able to get the job just as well as you, and still making way more bucks than you could ever dream of, removing conduit from dirt?

Go do your hack job and then when you move out and your landlord calls me to fix the shit, I'll make some cash.
What, removing a conduit? What an excellent job you have. I'll call ya to clean up when I move out, I don't mind that. I'll make some cash by growing lots of excellent weed very quickly by not having to go through the typical bureaucracy that you folks do.

But see, that's the key phrase: when I move out, meaning a successful show has been run and completed. The goal.

PharmaCan

Veteran
I seriously doubt it, madpenguin. I understand why codes and standards are in place, whether for electricity or for anything. And as long as I understand the limitations provided by doing things "not to code", I will be fine I guarantee you. I'm not going to go digging around with an auger in the area where I buried my cable. Or really, anything else except maybe shoot some hoops near it.

Why is the conduit going to be full of water? Because you forgot to glue it? I hope you don't say condensation.

The sheathed issue, I now understand.

But thanks for keeping your union work strong, it's a mighty good work you're doing. I'll make sure to hire an electrician when/if I'm ever crippled and in a wheelchair (which you say is likely to happen).

Maybe with the way the industry is moving, some of you people seem to have forgotten what the commercial weed growing game is about. But maybe it's just me!

Funny how you talk down to anyone who doesn't know all NEC codes like they're some retard.

Dude, you're going for a Darwin award. MP was trying to give you some solid advice, there's no need to behave like a spoiled child.

This is a classic example of someone who only asks questions to find people to agree with him, not to get real answers to his questions.

if you dont want a known path, then still use the gravel, pour the concrete, then back fill, d

You NEVER want to cover direct bury cable with gravel - never, never, never!!!! (The rocks can cut through the sheathing and insulation.)

PC

G

grow nerd

PharmaCan, you must think I'm some moron. That's fine, please go on, keep preaching, keep on... let's hear some more, amen!

No one said they're going with direct burial cable, by the way.

Funny how madpenguin (even though you posted way earlier) is the only one who mentioned the adversity of wet wires from water-filled conduits, which was really the driving point (thanks again, regardless of our differences!). Not a single other one of you so-called hindsight-pro's mentioned that. In my opinion, you (PharmaCan) have no space to lecture me from. At least madpenguin can tell me "I told you so" with a grin on his face, knowing he knew better all along.

Rednick

Veteran
You are right, we are wrong.

So do us a favor and stop asking questions already...

If you are going to ask a question you need to be prepared to look at it from other people's perspectives.

Just because you get a 'professional' to do it, doesn't mean he has to pull permits. Try making some friends, I know it may be hard with your attitude, but friendship has it's benefits.

PharmaCan

Veteran
PharmaCan, you must think I'm some moron. That's fine, please go on, keep preaching, keep on... let's hear some more, amen!

No one said they're going with direct burial cable, by the way.

Funny how madpenguin (even though you posted way earlier) is the only one who mentioned the adversity of wet wires from water-filled conduits, which was really the driving point (thanks again, regardless of our differences!). Not a single other one of you so-called hindsight-pro's mentioned that. In my opinion, you (PharmaCan) have no space to lecture me from. At least madpenguin can tell me "I told you so" with a grin on his face, knowing he knew better all along.

ROFLMMFAO - A moron, yes, but also a dumb little kid. At least, that's the way you're behaving. See if you can squeeze this into your adolescent brain - If you say that you are going to have a double bacon cheeseburger for lunch, and I suggest that the chicken sandwich might be healthier, that doesn't mean I'm suggesting you eat the chicken raw. But you are probably still too immature to understand how that works.

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

With that in mind, I'll waste not one more second on your ignorant ass. You don't want real advice, you just want to argue and try to prove how smart you are.

PC

Latest posts

Latest posts