What's new

First soil mix

smoooth

Sorry for the rant.

Anyways I found some kelp meal from down to earth. Is this a good brand as in quality and price?

B

BlueJayWay

I like the down to earth products, it's organic and a very fair price at my shop and they make 25 & 50 lb bags too :)

nukklehead

In terms of elements there is very little difference. Some old timers call alfalfa 'field kelp' - where the huge differences come into play are in the compounds (Secondary Metabolites) that all plants produce. In the case of brown kelp meal there is one compound, specifically, (Alginic acid) that is unique to that species, i.e. it does not exist in green or red kelp (marine algae). Kelp produces over 380 compounds.

Alfalfa also produces compounds that are equally important and completely different in function and benefit. This plant brings over 340 compounds to the party. Both plant materials are the rawest that you can source - minimum processing resulting in more compounds remaining intact and available.

BTW: you don't want to use cottonseed meal irrespective of any 'pH issues' - it's one of the most heavily sprayed crops in the USA. It's pure garbage.

CC

Thanks Cootz.. so is it safe to say if you have one you PROBABLY dont need the other. ( my KISS method)>. thanks

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Just about to use it for the first time...along with cal-sea-feed (also Maxicrop).

Seaweed Meal = Kelp Meal ...

...in my head anyway!

Cal-Sea-Feed is calcified seaweed (powdered)...with that and dolomite lime I'm hoping to have the cal/mag sorted...

I'll let you know how I get on.

smoooth

Okay so the mix has been cooking for almost a week.
Last time I checked it there was lots of good stuff going on.
Going to give it another good mix tomorrow and let it cook another week.

So, I was at the store and saw these dry amendments that were already mixed together.
They had a foundation bag, a grow bag, and a bloom bag.
Read the ingredients and it sounded pretty good to me. It's call Uprising by roots organics.
So I did the math between the bags and it added up to 21 different amendments.
I'm going to try and get the list up so I can have some input on it.
I was thinking of it as a simple mix that would have lots of diversity.

Pretty much my base
1 bag roots 707
1 bale promix HP
1 bag EWC

Then add
2 cups roots uprising foundation
2 cups roots uprising grow
2 cups roots uprising bloom
1-2 cups dolomite

Not sure yet, just throwing around some ideas.
If interested look em up online and let me know what you think.

smoooth

And here is the list:

EWC
Bat guano
Fish bone meal
Kelp meal
Greensand
Soybean meal
Glacial rock dust
Alfalfa meal
Feather meal
Langbeinite
Fish meal
Dolomite
Montmorillonite
Composted chicken manure
Crab meal
Blood meal
Nettle leaf
Oyster shell flour
Rock phosphate
Leonardite
Hop flowers

Some items are in all 3 bags, and some are in 2 of 3.

smoooth

You're doing way to much bro. Go with what burnone said....Very simple

OP

Uhhh if you read my posts I already went with a simple mix that is currently cooking.
I like to experiment man. This one ive been looking at is just as simple. Read my previous posts. I was just listing the ingredients.

benzo

If the pros can chime in, with OP doing "way to much" as someone said, will it negatively effect his end product ? Or just effect his wallet ?

I'm making up a new soil mix, and was wondering if you are letting it cook/compost for the recommended 4 weeks, is it possible to 'over due it'?

J

jerry111165

No it definitely will not affect his end product negatively. Is it necessary? No, But it won't hurt anything either - providing it nutrient cycles long enough and there is quality worm castings and/or quality compost in the mix.

In fact, whatever one uses for nutritional amendments is secondary.

Organic gardening is not about whatever amendments are used to add nutrition to a soil - it is ALL about the quality of your humus components ie: compost/castings. The quality compost and/or castings are required for soil life to nutrient cycle "whatever" you use for nutrition - I have no doubt that if we were to strictly use peaches, dandelions, blueberries and bark that we would get the same results.

Get your humus components dialed in and you've got it beat.

J