What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First post and first grow

Almost forgot to mention that a friend gave me 14 seeds of Grapefruit Diesel. I have 3 sitting in a cup of water so we'll see how that goes!

KingSkillz

The leaves will yellow till roots form. I usually do a whole round of clones all at the same time. First week water only. Second week in add a root stimulate. Clonex or what ever is on sale. 3 week I increase the root stimulate amount. Then put in soil with guano and ewc and lite fed. 2 week preveg then under the HID.

The leaves will yellow till roots form. I usually do a whole round of clones all at the same time. First week water only. Second week in add a root stimulate. Clonex or what ever is on sale. 3 week I increase the root stimulate amount. Then put in soil with guano and ewc and lite fed. 2 week preveg then under the HID.

Hey man, maybe in a few weeks when my plants are larger I'll give it a go!

Since I decided to kill of my mother plants and make new smaller ones, there's a lot more room in the tent which means that the MH bulb is reaching all the way to the bottom and causing my cuttings to wilt. As a result of this I decided to DIY a storage tote to be a new place for seedlings and clones.

Gnz

Newbie here too, similar perpetual grow but soil and cfl/cmh combo. Yours is coming along well

Hey everyone, hope all is well. Sorry for the low quality pictures. I was running out of time while I took them.

Next round of cuttings

The two in the middle will be flushed for a week and then chopped

The little one

I'm trying to figure out why some of the upper fan leaves are starting to fold in half. My understanding is this is an indication of light or heat stress but temperatures have been ranging from 77-81 lights on and 65-70 lights off. Distance is about ten inches from the top of the canopy. I was also told that this could be an indication of wind stress which made sense because the two plants in the middle, with the worst case of folding leaves, were directly in front of fans. I have now moved the fans and have them pointing up towards the light to move around the hot air but I'm still seeing this happen to a few leaves.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? My last guess is salt buildup in the hydroton. Any input would be appreciated!

Gnz

I've had the same problem, eliminated heat, eliminated nutrient issues. Had a combination of too many w/sq ft (135) and a heat spike from residual bulb heat when both the lights and exhaust fan turned off, fixed the heat spike issue by running a separate timer on the fan so it runs for an extra 15 min after lights out.

Problem didn't go away, reduced lights down to 100w/ sq ft which helped and have now cut down to 66w/ sq ft which has flattened out the leaves in one light cycle.

I've had the same problem, eliminated heat, eliminated nutrient issues. Had a combination of too many w/sq ft (135) and a heat spike from residual bulb heat when both the lights and exhaust fan turned off, fixed the heat spike issue by running a separate timer on the fan so it runs for an extra 15 min after lights out.

Problem didn't go away, reduced lights down to 100w/ sq ft which helped and have now cut down to 66w/ sq ft which has flattened out the leaves in one light cycle.

Hey man, thank you for the response. My tent is a 32x32x63. So my floor space has an area of 7.1111 square feet. With a 400w light, that's approximately 57.5 watts per square foot, which is well below your recommended range. Any other ideas what may be causing it? I'm thinking about switching to a bulb with lower PAR watts. I'm wondering if the light is too intense.

10 inches is too close. At 400w, I'd double the distance. Good luck. -granger

Hey, thank you for the input. Every light distance chart I've seen indicates otherwise. Do you have a source to quote or is this person experience? I raised the lights and hopefully I'll see some turn around.

Gnz

Granger gave me the advice about dropping watts further and it paid off. I'd try pulling the lights back a bit further and see if it fixes things after a few cycles, at worse all you're going to do is slow things down for a few days while you diagnose.

Little bit of a reduction in light stress probably won't hurt the recovery from any other issue that may be going on either.

It sounds like you're on the right track anyway, see if that extra air movement around the lights instead of the canopy helps!

Granger gave me the advice about dropping watts further and it paid off. I'd try pulling the lights back a bit further and see if it fixes things after a few cycles, at worse all you're going to do is slow things down for a few days while you diagnose.

Little bit of a reduction in light stress probably won't hurt the recovery from any other issue that may be going on either.

It sounds like you're on the right track anyway, see if that extra air movement around the lights instead of the canopy helps!

Ah okay! Thank you very much for the response and advice! I'll let you guys know how things are going in a few days!