What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fire safety

something you probably don't think about often

recently a friends house burnt right to the ground, and got me thinking - as far as growing goes.. what kind of things can we do to ensure maximum fire safety?

what are some things that could start a fire? falty wiring for sure...

what if the ballast just plugs into a normal house socket.. if heat is under control, what could start a fire?

I remember on OG, there was a guy who was very knowledgable, and wrote a sweet post on the topic, if anyone knows where I can find that text, that'd be cool

take it easy :joint:

G

I had a ballest burn on me almost melting the ballest box before unpluged. No breaker or fuse went off. All I can say is keep your ballests in a safe fire proof area, and ensure no of circits have a heavy load. Also maybe a good idea to get you equip checked up on every year or so.

good advice ,

I have an old box fan, and sometimes leave it running 4-5 days straight.. can this heat up and start a fire?

it's not on the timer as the 400w is

:joint:

G

I more personnally worry about the lights, a burn out box fan is unlikly to start a fire, a 1000watt ballest is.

NorCalChron

indeed i dont think there is enough information on grow room saftey. Although i dont have any reflectors yet, I plan on getting one with a lens.

I have left fans on for over a week without problems.

Lemon

This is a big concern for me (I'm overly paranoid), even just growing in a cabinet.

My safety plan:

- Keep the lens on the hood(s): If a light falls, its not going to end up right up against the kindling that is your sour deisel :tongue:

- Use a temperature cut-off: I'm using a thermostatic switch. If the temperature ever exceeds even 95 degrees, all power is cut (if fan fails, etc)

- No rediculously flammable items in the grow space: This includes mylar, its white paint for me baby!

- No DIY unless very well done: saving 20 bucks isn't worth a fire and an ensuing endangerment and cultivation charge. If your going to DIY, then DIR (do it right).

- Keep a fire extinguisher in the room at all times: Self explanatory

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Lemon said:
This is a big concern for me (I'm overly paranoid), even just growing in a cabinet.

- Keep a fire extinguisher in the room at all times: Self
explanatory

Not just in your grow area, you should have one for your house, and for gods sake get some working fire alarms/smoke dectector. If you house is going to burn at least you may be able to get out!!

Posts about safety should be sticky's, last thing we need to hear is that one of growbros burn't their house down

romdog11

i appreciated this thread these guys hearts are in the right place. the last thing i want to see if someones house burnt down while growing this great plant.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
smellthefunk420 said:
good advice ,

I have an old box fan, and sometimes leave it running 4-5 days straight.. can this heat up and start a fire?

it's not on the timer as the 400w is

:joint:

ive seen a box fan catch fire at my work....
i dont trust the fans as much as i dont trust a ghetto wired ballist.
some people use just the core and wire it up to the cap/ ignitor themselves, thats what can do it.
overvolting the outlet can start a fire 1k's pluged into a 15 amp circuit will pop the breaker so it might not be that dangerouse.

if somthing gets caught in the fan the motor can burn up.

AmishFarmer

In the city of Philadelphia someone that was growing and stealing the electricity had a fire at thier location.A fire fighter was killed,they chargged the grower with murder.

PackTheBong

AmishFarmer said:
In the city of Philadelphia someone that was growing and stealing the electricity had a fire at thier location.A fire fighter was killed,they chargged the grower with murder.

i just think its bullshit that he got charged firefighter know what they are doing and know they got a chance of losen there life and if anything the grower should of got manslaughter its not like he knew it was going to happed :joint:

romdog11

i think its unfair for that grower also. the firefighter wakes up every morning knowing he is putting his life on the line. thats his job thats why i pay taxes. not to charge growers with someone elses mistake.

Lemon

But for the sake of playing devils advocate, the arguement from the other side would be that there wouldn't have been a fire in the first place if he hadn't been growing, an activity that is against the law and should not have been taking place.

If the man had obeyed the law, there wouldn't have been a death - the man's crime caused someone to die which can be defined as murder (actually, I believe it would be manslaughter, but they like to try and lay the heaviest charge).

That aside, if your going to grow, especially somewhere where others live, be safe! :smile:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I agree with Lemon here, Firefighters are the last metro hero's we have. They do risk their lives everyday doing something I probably could not. But the grower should be charged for two reasons in my opinion
1. He or she is an idiot, a small child knows not to f with electricity, why did not they? Get out of the ghetto and get some real shit, when lives and land are on the line. There is no excuse
2. Just because the FF knew he puts his life on the line, he should not have to die, because of someones mistakes. The grower put him in harms way, and was neglectful in doing so, he should be charged with Criminal Neglect causing death, but will probably be charged with manslaughter and get about 6 to 10. Mainly to make a point.
Stupid stupid person.

King Hippo

Dr Dog said:
I agree with Lemon here, Firefighters are the last metro hero's we have. They do risk their lives everyday doing something I probably could not. But the grower should be charged for two reasons in my opinion
1. He or she is an idiot, a small child knows not to f with electricity, why did not they? Get out of the ghetto and get some real shit, when lives and land are on the line. There is no excuse
2. Just because the FF knew he puts his life on the line, he should not have to die, because of someones mistakes. The grower put him in harms way, and was neglectful in doing so, he should be charged with Criminal Neglect causing death, but will probably be charged with manslaughter and get about 6 to 10. Mainly to make a point.
Stupid stupid person.

What if people leave their christmas tree lights on while out at dinner. Dumb sure, but do they get charged for murder if a firefighter dies?

King Hippo said:
What if people leave their christmas tree lights on while out at dinner. Dumb sure, but do they get charged for murder if a firefighter dies?

If the christmas lights were illegal to begin with, then probably

King Hippo

smellthefunk420 said:
If the christmas lights were illegal to begin with, then probably

So we are deciding based on legality issues rather than stupidity/negligence?

Well then I agree. Although stupid people kill more fireman than law-breakers.

Vdro

AmishFarmer said:

just because he was tapping doesnt mean that was the cause of the fire...

a fire can happen anywhere, anytime.... like say you grew 1 plant in ur closet, and your wife had a kitchen fire, the firefighters come, one dies...they find the plant, put in the papers "growers house fire kills firefighter" its goin to look bad yeah...

but that can happen to any grower

safety devices?

safety devices?

what equipment or devices do you recommend that are beneficial to the safety of your grow area?

i.e fire prevention.

Latest posts

Latest posts