What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finally a way to make pure Sativas flower in Summer!!

iTarzan

Will they still stretch? The answer could be good and bad. Bad for strains that need a stretch to produce and good for plants that stretch too much.

Will there be a transition period? I would think when you flip to 12/12 it takes 10 days or so for it to trigger florigen production and flowering to start. But if the graft has the florigen flowering will start right away.

So it will only work outdoors at the point in time when the daylight hours/minutes are going down and dark hours/minutes are increasing.

So after June 22. If there is a transition period (let's just use 2 weeks for length) that would mean July 6/7 is flowering day 1. That gives 3 weeks in July, 4 weeks in August, 4 weeks in Sept (now 11 weeks total) and 4 weeks in October (15 weeks total). Actually 12 weeks and 16 weeks because there is a few days over 4 weeks in every months. It wight even be an extra 2 weeks so 13 weeks end of Sept and 17 weeks end of October. You could finish some strains you would not be able to normally. If it worked even in April with increasing light you could finish a 27 week Thai plant outdoors. Too bad that would be great.

If there is no transition period this could be helpful in finding male plants instead of the sometimes long and hideous process of waiting for new plants to reveal sex.

romanoweed

In the Article it says :

1) The inpulse to flower is determined by the ratio of these two Substances they mentioned. And not by the Amount.
2) Further they write that certain "things" are responisble for the one Substances Level,
and other "Things" for the other Substances level.

So the plant is "monitoring" its surroundings, say lightlevel , wich is very important, so lighthours sink, plant heightens one Substance. That almost always is enough for the Plant to flower.
Its possible that Age influences the opposite compound, so the treshold is reached where the one Substance dominates the other.

But more importantly, yes the long-nights-impulse is logically a constant signal, that is producedn every night.

So, probably it needs a constant florigen-dosage.

However, IF the plant now measures daylenght in Leaves, an IF you apply an autoflower Leave, then i guess this Leave with its genetic would give ITS impulse, no matter what the rest of the graftet Plant is.

Thats why i also theorized wether or not it may need more than just one Leave, and when most LEaves are Autoflower it would probably have the biggest Chances of Sucess..

romanoweed

Then comes another point: In the article they used just one Leave .. This sonded like :

1) either has the Tomato wich is multiyear-species a very small Treshold, and the tinyest dosage can bring her to start flowering.. Wich is assumably the case in an annual, for such aplant its not such a BIG DEAL to wrongly trigger flower here and there.. so to speak.

2) it could also mean that once a Florigen Impulse is given it keeps doing what it does, keeps flowering.. Until a higher Jump in Substances is reached in the opposite direction?? Thats more of a "Hope" Hypothesis..
and would mean it reacts on Spikes, and once a sudden Rush, a sudde Flud is reached it keeps doing what it does? but that wasent indicated in the article,

romanoweed

A funny Anekdote from a Friend: he says he pollinates a few of his Buds at the end of a floweringperiod after he harvested most of the Buds.. These half-harvested Plants will then finish the Seed fully, even he puts the plants under 24 hour light. He sais this works cause the plant is at her last Stage of life.

That means for me there are other "constant impulsese" that can be created. In this case something in the plant might just change when the plant is old..

Thats all just "Hope specualtion" , that i dont know. that there are Signals that once given are enough /or that once certain Dosages given that its enough..
Lets just hope for "one Leave works", and thats about it. Lets also try a bigger Branch, bigger then the Sativa Portion of the plant for a Save bet.

I mean why did it work for Tomato Tobacco then? If it worked there, it may work with other species too.
I personally dont understand your theories or knoledgable guesses @iTarzan @some_other_guys , nor do i hate them, i just cant say wether or not they are a problem or not.

Last edited:

romanoweed

but i understand your comment as positive in so far, that one eventually would need to apply Autoflower leaves probably over a longer period, in order to obseerve the very slow sativa-flowering mechanism. yeah.

so thats a third experiment one would have to do if the others dont work. just put some leaves and branches of something flowering at a sativa, spontanous and chaotic, and IF something happens, then you can study it further. try to etablish the perfect rule.. right?

romanoweed

And yes, an Autoflower may or may not have already given her florigen-dosage. so you may be better of applying a normal indica (not auto) that fowers,triggers very fast , and then start reducing the Dayhours from 18 hours to a daylength you were SHURE the euatorial sativa wouldent flowered on its own. (15 hours?).

so, i let you guys now. peace

Cerathule

Hi, I'm linking a wealthy source of information about the flowering mechanism in plants.

Physiology of flowering

edit: (sent prematurely)

I believe you refer to the plant receptor Phytochrome Pr-to-Pfr-ratio, which is used to determine the start and end of each day. It (grossly speaking) evaluates 660 vs 730 and that does a hell a lot of things for the plant in many ways.

Photoreceptors are most active in the new shoots, and even budsites contain freshly formed sugarleaves. They produce alot of hormones though not much is needed to turn the shoot axis meristem to turn on flower. And its close proximity to the SAM can reach that quickly. With small cannabis plants it's possible to see the transformation already completed when, after 3 days, more than usual pistills begin to become visible at the tops.
Some factors may greatly influence that like e.g. temperature, humidity, and salt stress.

The article also states that a single shoot's production is enough to be able to saturate a plant and make it flower whole. And the images illustrate they grafted the flowering shoot as the lowest sidebranch as a means to optimize the distribution of it to all the other shoots.

Last edited:

Mudballs2.0

Maybe a similar effect could be gained by blacking out a sideshoot for the time being? Though it needs the plant to be mature
you'd have to 12/12 the branch...which is far better than an entire greenhouse so you know it wouldn't be all bad...just take the little black bags off the branch every morning, lol. otherwise the reveg starts cuz it's a photoperiod....i will try this, not sure how soon i can report back.
edit, i don't think it will work cuz i've had situation close to this...but we need to make sure

Mudballs2.0

just make it really pitch black for that branch or it will fail
Here's why i have my doubts...but i think using auto/ruderalis branch might have that unique hormone system that can override whole plant.idk.

An old update vid that has relevant content
Dbl edit...lol i did kill them, theres a vid of it lol

Last edited:

romanoweed

NICE VIDEO! Good to learn.

I wasnt shure if he had the lights on at day? So he thinks its too dark in his Climate thats why they flower, puh, a crazy explonation if you ask me, as normally plants react to very low Lightintensity (streetlights if theyre close). Probably he just left the lights on at night?..

Anyway, we see that the plant responded on just one Side, i agree on that . CRAZY to see!

- This makes me think of your Method : blacking out half the Plants with a Plastic bag. And leave it dark 24 hours ?
The plant stays alive from the one Side that recieves Light, but produce Bud in the blacked out Zones?

Actually this could be done on just the Meristems (small Leaves in the Axis), bring on some Plastic bags around them. This way she recieves more Light.

Last edited:

romanoweed

Probably in this case the Branches were too big to share enough Florigen with the others. Probably thats why we saw sucessful Floewering in my linked Article from a small Branch.. As if the plant is regulating wich parts get the Florigen? And if its just a small Branch, then the Plant thinks "wait a minute i have this florigen here, i think i dont use this for this shitty small branch, ill use it for the big branches" .

Cerathule

Here's why i have my doubts...but i think using auto/ruderalis branch might have that unique hormone system that can override whole plant.idk.
the autonomous pathway should affect processes happening within the leaf. It's mostly about the release of an accompanying substance that aids the florigen to translocate through the sieve tubes.

As if the plant is regulating wich parts get the Florigen?
the closer the greater the effect on the SAM, which however, is a strict on/off reaction.
so the transformation should follow the distribution where the critical amount was met

romanoweed

Excellent comment @Cerathule .

A further thought:
revisit the Article: they used a Longday-Tobacco in one Example, but a Longday-Tobaco is probably seldon, im concluding its seldon because i read on the Net that most Tobaccos are Dayneutral. Tomatos too... !!

So i can specualte the Longday-Tobacco they used is still easily tending to flower with the smallest levels of Florigen..

So, thats probably a real importance and shurely is, if we try to flower a true 16 Weeker Sativa.
View attachment 18757206

Last edited:

romanoweed

Im happy you think about it,
next year i will make grow-holiday, have muuch hunting of genetics behind me. i sadly dont own auto-genetics, but its not so bad, lol-
smoke pure sativa

ey we had lately a pure sativa 50 year old seeds, they autoflowered probably because that, but they really flowered- was so nice to see an equatorial outside, in summer finishing

Redrum92

A funny Anekdote from a Friend: he says he pollinates a few of his Buds at the end of a floweringperiod after he harvested most of the Buds.. These half-harvested Plants will then finish the Seed fully, even he puts the plants under 24 hour light. He sais this works cause the plant is at her last Stage of life.

I have definitely heard of big time breeders taking plants out of 12/12 into 24/0 for seed making. I can't remember at what week post pollinating, though

Latest posts

Latest posts