What's new

Filipino Grow!

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Salamat tayo! I might well be out there next month! I'll let you know closer to the time I'm heading over there. 2007 is gonna be a great year. I'm going to be all over Asia!

BTW, charas means hand-rubbed hash (Indian style). There aren't any strain names per se in most of the world. That's pretty much an American invention.

Mackawber

I will never forget that sign I saw in the barrio in Angeles City that said "The Penalty For Drugs Is Death". I really enjoyed having my picture taken next to it...hahahah!

Anyway, I think the best time to plant would be toward the end of the wet season like in October. The higher the altitude the better cause it gets cooler up there. I heard there are apple trees growing around Bagiou. Maybe the Thais have some genetics that would work well in the Philippines. Kali Mist looks like the best possibility. Perhaps the reason the weed in the Philippines is not so good is because nobody bothers to grow it properly. You need to lead a peoples revolution in Philippine weed growing bro! Get the seeds out!

Some of the best times I ever had were in the Philippines. I havent been there since June of 2000. You guys are the greatest hosts!

BudZad7

Crazy question!!!

Crazy question!!!

:wave: Hi All! Is balut those weird duck eggs that Filipino people eat???? :chin: :yummy: Peace!

kali mist would be a great option, but its quite pricey. but it'll definitely be worth it. if not, i can just grow some sativas from nirvana. if i were to grow out kali mist and got a male and female, could i pollinate the female and get new kali mist seeds? or would these seeds be unstable or varied?

for those who've grown out sativas in this part of the world, when did you begin your grow in the year? and how many months on average was it from seed to harvest? since light cycle is pretty much the same throughout the year, does that mean one can start a crop whenever? i can see how the rainy season can get in the way, but with the proper precautions (like a greenhouse,etc) such problems can be avoided.

balut is the underdeveloped fetus of a duck. its a delicacy over here. if you're the adventurous type, you got to try it. its got all the cholestoral you could ask for. yum.

Blazed_Out

If you were to cross a Kali Mist female and male together, you will get F2's which is a little more varied but good none the less if you don't mind searching for good phenotypes. And maybe backcrossing will bring back some favoured characteristics.

C

Chamba

balut is the underdeveloped fetus of a duck. its a delicacy over here. if you're the adventurous type, you got to try it. its got all the cholestoral you could ask for. yum.

...I bet there's a few readers out there who are thinking ...hey, it can't be that bad can it?..I mean..it's an egg and I like eggs....an underdeveloped fetus would be just a speck of blood wouldn't it?

hindi pare

it's a hot duck egg ....take off the shell and there's lil Donald, beak and all...all curled up

I've seen a few foreigners eat them.....

the last time I smoked some PI bud ...it made us laugh so much we all had a sore gut next day from out of control laughing so much....

name one me strain available for sale right now that will make split your sides laughing..there isn't one

I think we will see more growers growing strains they would rather smoke, than strains they'd rather grow.

I think in ten years time the average flowering time will increase from 8~9 weeks up to 14~15 weeks as smokers demand bud with quality highs, the dull single dimensional highs one gets from most 8 week cash crop bud (and most stains for sale)..the potency is usually there but there's no wonder, energy, fun or focus..just monotone boredom

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Yea kali mist is expensive! Thats why I am reluctant to get some, also I dont know if there is precident for growing it where I am.

in order to increase the quality of bud in the philippines the farmerss have to be given the proper genetics. over, bud seems to be grown under ideal conditions and males are weeded out. therefore most of the bud you can get here is sparsely seeded, but not super potent. i'm not sure how to improve the quality of herb here in this country since there are just massive amounts grown. therefore there is this dilemma of quantity versus quality. if you can 2 stalks of weeds for 10 dollars, why would you want to pay extra for better weed? i think thats the mentality here. since weed is sold in such massive quantities over here, quality can be overlooked.

Blazed_Out

If you were to select the best males and females and breed them for the traits you like, the weed may not be much more potent but will have those traits you desire.
Some of the Filipino strains crossed with each other may strengthen your desired characteristics while some may not. You would really have to select parents and then test the crosses. It may take a couple years to breed a potent landrace to how you want it.
Most of the strains available today have been bred from landraces such as the Haze.
The Haze line was a selection of landraces from different parts of the world (Colombian, Mexican, Thai and South Indian) which is not a four way cross I believe, more like a couple of different Colombians crossed with each other of what they may have liked and same for the others, then crossed with each other somewhat over some years. This makes me believe that the Haze line was not stable and displayed many phenotypes until it was worked on for stabilization narrowing the genepool.

How about the drying and curing techniques used in the PI? Outdoor weed can also be varied in potency since there are many environmental factors unlike indoors where you can control the environment easier. The only difference is the light intensity which sativas need.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Chamba said:
I think in ten years time the average flowering time will increase from 8~9 weeks up to 14~15 weeks as smokers demand bud with quality highs, the dull single dimensional highs one gets from most 8 week cash crop bud (and most stains for sale)..the potency is usually there but there's no wonder, energy, fun or focus..just monotone boredom

Well said!

Many among us are too young to have experienced what you are talking about,and those of us who have,really miss it.I look forward to them being able to experience the complexity of a pure Sativa.It will be nice for me to finally be back in the climate to grow Sat's the way they were intended to be grown.

Again,nice post Chamba!

ps:I still have not been able to convince myself to try the Balut...(yet)

Last edited:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
I'll be in Manila in Jan. Almost 100% sure now. Is the weed situation as bad as they say? My friend's hellbent on getting hookers too. Any tips you guys might have for us?

Try Haze from Seedsman. It's cheap and supposed to be really good. You can plant anytime you want in the PI man. I've grown Indian sativas that were planted in Feb-June and harvested in Feb the NEXT YEAR. If you want to improve the quality of your Filipino buds, you can cross it with Haze. I believe the problem in the PI is with the drying and curing of the buds. I don't think they cut the leaf off up there either. When you harvest, cut as much leaf as possible off your buds. Dry them completely, then jar them to cure (use glass jars).

If you cross Kali Mist with Kali Mist, yes, you will get more Kali Mist. The best thing to do is to take a cut of your best Kali Mist female and make it a mother plant under 24 hours of light. Take cuts from that plant, put em outside, and you'll have all the KM you could want.

daver

interesting thread! and some nice pictures you posted, When are you going to start this grow? looking forward to follow it, Im also growing in asia, check out my thread http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=35040
I have grown several different strains with great success, only small issues with spider mites but no mold at all, i have grown indica strains, sativa strains and so on.

Good luck and make sure post some pics when ur up and runnning! =)
Peace and stay safe.

tsongkee,

its nice to see another filipino on the threads. awesome that you've been able to do some good growing here in manila. maybe you can show us some pics. those strains you're growing out sound like some quality sativas.

rondahits

I think growers have been doing better lately. It's become relatively easier to find quality over the crap that permeates around here. Also remember some other growers from Manila back in the OG days but never got to meet any of them in person.

Quality was always there but after three years, either I've just met the right people or growers know how to satisfy the market now. :)

Happy growing!

rondahits

blazed out: tarlac is closer to the northern grow grounds than manila, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are guerilla growers in the immediate vicinity as well. Some sources for shabs also carry the greens but I don't think they'd have the good stuff. And I don't like dealing with tweakers. Scary

balut is great! Come here Glock 23 and I'll make you try that, among other things :)

Balut+Redhorse+Baguio Gold+Sagada Hash+Pussy

=HELLO PHILIPPINES!!!
hey rondahits and smoke tayo, SMOKE TAYO!!! :))
Tanginang ICMAG to. Haha.

sundancertip

hi smokey.. newbie here, just murdered 4 out of 5 seeds from nirvana (BJ)

im guessing its the weather(temp) here in the philippines, I assumed they will adapt to our climate and stuff.. but failed even to germinate.

I liked your idea of stabilizing the Philippine genetics, this could lead to something good and exotic, if i may, hehe

good thing i was able to find this thread, I thought I was the only one trying to grow(herbal purposes) these stuff! anyways can you please help me out with the basics and golden tips?

and Is there a philippine and overseas strain out there that can survive the manila weather?

hope to hear from you

matsalams

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hey Sundance I live and grow right on the equator where the weather and daylight schedule is identical to that of the Philipines, and by trial and mostly error I have learned that even the tiniest fragment of Indica genetics will cause your plants to bud way too soon, when the plant is still tiny. Luckily for us tropics dwellers, some of the most insanely potent pure landrace Sativas all happen to be dirt cheap.

Seeds Madness in the UK is your friend, when it comes to Sativas. This is my dream line-up of landrace Sativas that all have not a trace of indica, and I am in the process of ordering them.

1. Kilimanjaro from World of Seeds
2. Kwazulu from World of Seeds
3. Maui Waui from the Sativa Seedbank
4. Malawi Gold from Afro Pips
5. Swazi Red from Afro Pips

As a final note, some of those South African strains are powerful enough to blow the doors off even a seasoned smoker, but the really good news is that they will mature completely in that 12/12 tropical daylight schedule, regardless of how long that takes.

sundancertip

hi swamp, so what are your top 2 recommendations for a tropical climate?

I am really looking for something that i can grow outdoors without worrying if the weather is too hot (94F) or it is rainy..

man we cant have hybrid? even if it is just 30 percent indica?

hi sundancer, if you want to have a hybrid you will have to be ready to deal with mold and small yield. the 12/12 all year round in the philippines will make the plants sex before it has adequate time to achieve vegetative growth. the humidity in manila is ridiculous and you can expect dense buds to be highly susceptible to mold. the best option would be to start the plants inside under 24 hour light. a 150w cfl should be adequate for two plants. veg those plants inside for a couple weeks then bring them outside to begin flowering. you will then be able to increase yield, but you will still have to deal with mold. if flowering occurs during the cooler months (ie nov, december) then mold shouldn't be as much of an issue.

those strains swamp thing recommended will do really well in our climate in manila, however i imagine they will take some time to mature.

how did you germinate? in paper towels? the nirvana strain is worth a shot. make sure to read up on proper germination techniques. i'm guessing you kept the paper towels too wet.

i would recommend kalichakra from mandala seeds for a cheap sativa dominant strain that should thrive in the tropical climate.

saan ka ba sa maynila, tol?!