What's new

Field Marshell Seeds goes to the Birds

gdbud

Yea but my wife was not to happy with me when she found out that I cut up her windmills to make my flags with.

picture.php

gdbud

Today's update:
First some random thoughts then to pictures.

I don't know if it is the growing in soil or the improvements that I did to the cabinet, But I thinking it's both.

Last grow I was doing a DWC and boy did those plants grow fast.

This time around I'm doing a soil grow and the plants are doing just fine, But they are not growing as fast, But that is alright they look healthy.

It seamed like last grow I was spending around a hour a day checking and adjusting the waters PH, PPM, temperature, logging room temp, cabinet temp etc just to make sure the environment was just so.

This grow all it seams that I need to do is to check and adjust the waters PH daily and I done in around 5 min.

In the cabinet this time around I placed a remote temperature sensor in the air intake and exhaust scrubber, a Kill-a-watt device and a gage that gives me my total static pressure across the fan.

So at a quick look I can tell how well the fan is doing, what the temperature difference is entering and leaving the cabinet, The temperature difference between the cabinet and entering air, The total watts I'm using and the total CFM that is flowing through the cabinet.
Boy do I have my cabinet dialed in now.

Now that my rambling is done lets get to the pictures.

First the Blue plant.
picture.php

This plant was a lot taller that the others when I potted it and I buried about 2/3 of the stock so that it was the same height as the other plants and I think this why the first leaves burnt.

Yellow plant.
picture.php

This plant has a purple color in its leaves. I'm hoping that this coloring will continue on to the rest of the plant as it grows.

Green Plant.
picture.php

Red plant.
picture.php

V

Vesuvius

nice progress gd.

i am interested the cab upgrades, wondering if you can pm me with an equipment list.
wondering on the new temp sensors.

i am soon going to build a nice stealth cab for a friend and trying to trick it out.

touchofgrey

They're looking real good in there gd. I liked you observation on the soil vs hydro, I tried hydro a few years back and had the same experience. Soil is definately less work and fuss but you do suffer a bit on yield. For those of us not concerned with growing mass quantities for sale I think less work is the way to go.

How are the Blumats working? It's hard to tell if they are adjusted correctly since there's just a small wet spot on the surface. I bought a cheap soil moisture meter to help me get them dialed in.

I'm also interested in your cabinet upgrades. I have a thermometer that can take 3 remote sensors but they're not available any longer so I was wondering if anyone made a similar product. You installed a manometer? Wow, that's cool. When you say you know how much air is flowing through the cabinet I assume that's because you know what the fan curve is at various static pressures, right?

gdbud

touchogrey,
Thanks for stopping by again. I'm still playing with the adjustment of the Blumats I just checked on the plants and there is a small amount of water in the bottom of the containers that I have the Air-Pots sitting in yesterday it was dry and the plants are starting to take off, So I know that the Blumats are working.

No I could not find the fan curve for my fan any way for a fan curve to work properly I would need at least 3 to 4 duct diameter of straight duct work on either side of the fan to get the design air flow for a fan curve to work.

To get my CFM air flow through the cabinet I take the
"total watts * 3.16 /(exhaust temp - intake temp.)"

The Magnehelic gauge is just used as quick reference.

touchofgrey

To get my CFM air flow through the cabinet I take the
"total watts * 3.16 /(exhaust temp - intake temp.)".

After my post I noticed you added a Part 3 to your cabinet details and that you used that formula. I've used that to estimate air flow in the past too but it was my understanding it was for unenclosed lights - the numbers were skewed when you had a cool tube. In any case, temp control is the bottom line and you seem to be in great shape.

I also noticed you had separate thermometers for each item you want to monitor. The 3 channel unit I mentioned is this....
base unit remote sensor
It's supposed to transmit 100' but that may be pushing it. I can have the base unit in the house and monitor the box in the garage though. I was looking to bet another but haven't seen them until I googled today and found the new model at wally world http://www.walmart.com/ip/Springfie...rmometer-With-Radio-Controlled-Clock/10671024 they're cheap and I've been using this one for several years with no problems. The one I got has a plug-in remote probe that I originally used to monitor rez temps when I was doing hydro. Now I put one in the cool tube exhaust.

gdbud

I was looking for thermometer which had multiple sensor, But for the cost I went with $10 ones from wally world and it fills more space in the cabinet's control area. ;-)

gdbud

After my post I noticed you added a Part 3 to your cabinet details and that you used that formula. I've used that to estimate air flow in the past too but it was my understanding it was for unenclosed lights - the numbers were skewed when you had a cool tube. In any case, temp control is the bottom line and you seem to be in great shape.

That formula should be usable for any HID light whither the bulb is unenclosed or contained in a cool-tube. The bulb put out the same amount of BTUs.
The only thing that I do differently is I place the wattage from the fans into that equation to. I know that the heat output from the fan motors will be different than from lights, But I'm to lazy to dig out my HVAC load calculation books and run the calcs for an extra 166 watts that all the fans pull.

gdbud

Day 20

Day 20

Not much to talk about tonight the plants are starting to take off on the growth and I'm still working on getting the Blumats dialed in. I had a little run off in the container that the Air-Pots are sitting in.

picture.php

Blue Plant

picture.php

Yellow Plant

picture.php

Green Plant

picture.php

Red Plant

And now for the family shot.
picture.php

gdbud

I was just checking in on my cabinet and playing with my Kill A Watt device and I saw that I have been running my cabinet for this grow for 389 hours which is 16.2 days at a total cost of $13.70 at $0.0765/kWh. Which comes out to about $0.85 a day to run my cabinet so far.
So for less than the cost of a news paper per day will keep me in all the medication I need.

gdbud

Day 31

Day 31

Update: I'm now at day 31 of the Veg cycle and my cabinet is running great by its self and without much help from myself.
The Blumats are working out great all I have to do is to fill the reservoir about every 10 to 15 days right now and check the PH daily I have yet to add any nutrients to the water and the plants are doing great.
Reight now I'm at the 6th and 7th nodes on the plants And I'm hoping that I will be able to sex the plants soon. Then I hope to have two females to place under a scrog and start to fill in then start to flower.

Picture Time:
Field Marshell Seeds "LadyBerry Kush" Plant Day 31

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gdbud

Yesterday I had a little mishap with my Blumat automatic watering devices. This was totaly my fault and the Blumats are not defective in any way in fact the Blumats have exceeded my expectation.
Yesterday I decided that since the plants were getting larger that maybe I should open the Blumats up a little more, So I opened each one by 1/2 a notch which is like 1/16 a turn not much at all.
When I opened tha cabinet about 12 hours later I found that the pot were sitting in about 1-1/2" of water.

picture.php

picture.php

When I decided to use the Blumats I anticipated that something like this could happen or worse, So I found a container that the pots would sit into that was at least one cubic foot in volume. One cubic foot holds ~ 7-1/2 gallons of water. I then set up my reservoir so that I would only fill it up with 5 gallons of water so that if anything like happens and the Blumats did stuck open and drained my reservoir. That the container that the pots are sitting in would be able to contain all the water.
So thank you ICMag for giving me the information so that I was able to anticipate and preplan for any disasters before they occur.

gdbud

Is this a male plant?

Is this a male plant?

My plants just keep getting larger and I had to raise my light yesterday, So I was able to get new pictures and inspect my plants a little closer.

picture.php

picture.php

While inspecting my plants I noticed that one of them was looking a little different than the other three and from the description and the pictures I have seen here I'm thinking that this one is a male plant. I would like to through this out to the others at this site for a yea or nae that this could be a male or not.

picture.php

picture.php

The other thing that I notice while inspecting the plants that the top leaves on the back two plants are a little lighter green than the rest of the plants, So after 4+ weeks of the plants just feeding off of the soil it looks like I need to start feeding the plants.
I'm going to start to feed them today. I will once again be feeding the plants with GH FloraNova Grow at 1/4 strength to start with then switch over to GH FloraNova Bloom later when I switch the lights.
:thank you: