What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Rodehazrd

Good evening Rodehazrd.

Soil test is a great idea if you can understand the results, I wouldn't be able to but maybe someday. As long as your girls are loving it you are on the right track.

I hope I got these cuts in time to get them into the tent as soon as the others are out. I guess I'd rather have a week of downtime rather than have to take the lady's in flower early to make space.

I like a good fade on the leaves myself, I just hope it's not too early.
Fiddy
You are in week 5 right? Is the temp going down in the dark? Some strains have that nice technicolor thing going when cool enough at night and in later flower. I am heavily insulated in my out building but it goes now from 50 to 80 I know its not perfect but thats what they get till I just have to add a heater.
So fiddy are the cuts growing anywhere close to the speed of the seed? Your clones look stellar to me mine are in day 3 and the plants were in day 10 of flower I don't expect a fast rooting but I've never waited this long to take cuts. None wilted so thats good so far.
Yeah we use a good bit to creme fresh as topping for deserts and some of my wild mushroom dishes call for it in the sauce. Its gangster grade in my opinion. Lots of calories and very nice flavor.
I didn't know about regular creme breaking down Fiddy you really got the cooking science down.
Don't diss yourself about soil tests I think its easier than it looks. Of course for me the more I read the less confident I feel about what I'm doing . Its great having you guys to bounce ideas off and get a straight no bull answer. Its nice how we share our mistakes as well as the success. Like old Granddaddy said the folk who don't mess any thing up are the ones who don't do nothing.
Yea its Friday
Freak Freely Boys

Fiddynut

that sounds like a great meal but i think i would miss the turkey too
maybe you can get a smaller bird for just you and the mrs, and enjoy the non traditional food with your dad
i remember last year you mentioned corn casserole as a side
to me, the important part is to just be around good friends and family
the food is nice but sharing the day is what its all about
i had to look up the spiedini
oh man, my hat is still spinning!
that stuff sounds so good i may have to try making it myself one day!
it looks like there are a few ways to make it, how do you do yours?
great idea about using the creme fraiche for the white sauce
spot on about the nutrient lock out from excess Ca
the plants look great, about how many weeks in are yuo?
it also sounds like you are gaining confidence in your clonig technique!
the cuts look great

hope everyone is finishing off their week on a good note and ready for the weekend!
Good morning pop_rocks.

I think my dads girlfriend got to him last night he stopped over and said he was having second thoughts about not doing a turkey. He wants to go more traditional now so I'm going to figure out how to cook a turkey at his place (on a gas grill and not my usual BBQ). I may still do a test run with another turkey this weekend so I can get the timing down, it sucks when the bird is done a couple hours early or late. You are right that the important part is the time spent with family, the food is just icing on the cake.

The spiedini that I make are my grandfathers recipe and I've not seen any like it before. I've seen a lot of styles but this one is special to me. They are easy to make. I can post recipe if you like. Since I make my own creme fraiche I usually have it on hand and I like the richness of it. Plus you can use it for cooking and in sauces and it dosent break. I can post an easy to make it at home if anyone is interested.

Plants are chugging along and I'm looking forward to a successful harvest in a few weeks. They are on day 43 as of today I believe. I got a better shot of them last night and I'll post it up.

Fiddynut

Fiddy
You are in week 5 right? Is the temp going down in the dark? Some strains have that nice technicolor thing going when cool enough at night and in later flower. I am heavily insulated in my out building but it goes now from 50 to 80 I know its not perfect but thats what they get till I just have to add a heater.
So fiddy are the cuts growing anywhere close to the speed of the seed? Your clones look stellar to me mine are in day 3 and the plants were in day 10 of flower I don't expect a fast rooting but I've never waited this long to take cuts. None wilted so thats good so far.
Yeah we use a good bit to creme fresh as topping for deserts and some of my wild mushroom dishes call for it in the sauce. Its gangster grade in my opinion. Lots of calories and very nice flavor.
I didn't know about regular creme breaking down Fiddy you really got the cooking science down.
Don't diss yourself about soil tests I think its easier than it looks. Of course for me the more I read the less confident I feel about what I'm doing . Its great having you guys to bounce ideas off and get a straight no bull answer. Its nice how we share our mistakes as well as the success. Like old Granddaddy said the folk who don't mess any thing up are the ones who don't do nothing.
Yea its Friday
Freak Freely Boys
Good morning Rodehazrd.

I am in week 6 now and judging by the swell I'm just 2-3 weeks from harvest. I've seen some really interisting fall colors on plants that get nice cool nights, just beautiful. One of the good and bad things about my basement is that it stays so stable. Other than spring and fall when I can open the windows and the cool air sinks down it stays about 68-72 degrees lights off all year. Lights on is upper 70's to 80. Like I said it's good because it's in the range where plants like to be but bad because I don't get the cooler nights at the end of flower and the nice colors. I guess I'm lucky because I don't have to mess around with heaters and thermostats and stuff.

First set of cuts in DWC cloner are about 2+ feet tall after only about 4 weeks in soil so they are growing quickly. I'm hoping for a 3 week veg on the ones I just cut a couple nights ago and then into flower with them. The original cuts were taken about 7 days into flower and rooted quickly so I'm guessing yours will be fine at day 10. Maybe a little extra time to revert to veg growth. A lot of people take clones off flowering plants and they get really branchy. I think they call it super crop or something like that.

Sour cream is made with 1/2 and 1/2 sometimes called light cream. It has more protein and less fat so it's not as stable as creme fraiche made with heavy cream. As I mentioned I can tell you guys how to make your own creme fraiche without any special equipment or ingredients. Let me know if you want to give it a try and I'll post it up. You are right its gangster stuff and great for toppings and sauces.

I feel like you the more I read the less confident I am in what I think I know. There are so many interactions it's really intimidating. I feel like if I just keep absorbing info it will all make some sense some day. Untill then I just fake it and try not to screw too much stuff up. Your granddaddy was right you have to break some eggs to make an omelet.

Fiddynut

Greetings friends.

I got a better pics this morning and one with a lighter to give some scale. Colas are fattening and starting to swell. Plants are getting heavier.

jedi5891

Hey Fiddynut and folks, you've got some nice looking plants there mate and some fat colas swelling nicely. What strains are you growing this time mate.
Fair play on getting the DWC cloner, as you know I've been doing some DWC with great results and definately recommed the method for yield and explosive growth if dialed in.
I'll hopefully be setting up another 8 light grow somewhere else as I only did one at the other place as it was only temporary. I'll do half the room IWS and the other half DWC and I reckon I'll get a good ammount from it. I had around 100oz off the other one and that was after I had some hermie issues and some seeds here an there and also lost a couple oz to mold (botyris).
I learnt alot from it as it was the biggest one I'd done and would definately do some things different, like no so many strains, I had around 20, only use cuttings off a tried and tested mother and not veg the plants as long in the DWC.
I'm going to do a journal of the room build and document the grow through the veg and bloom taking pictures as I progress.
The whole weed scene has changed in the last 2 years over here in the UK. Cheese which used to be the ONLY strain anyone grew or wanted, has become obsolete now as no one wants it really and I know of people struggling to sell it. Weed in the UK cost between £160-£250 usually for home grown in the uk depending the grade and where in the UK. Last couple of years buying weed online has become popular and people are paying stupid money for these pots with 8ths in and oz for 600-800 for these "designer strains"' as they call them, like gelato, skittlez, GSC etc and all peope want now is these top shelf strains of cookie/og/chem dawg hybrids etc to compete with the market. Everyone now has a degree in weed quality and if your weed isn't top shelf it sells for cheap.
I still cant believe people are paying £40-£50 a gram for weed. Its a funny world.
Peace

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddynut and folks, you've got some nice looking plants there mate and some fat colas swelling nicely. What strains are you growing this time mate.
Fair play on getting the DWC cloner, as you know I've been doing some DWC with great results and definately recommed the method for yield and explosive growth if dialed in.
I'll hopefully be setting up another 8 light grow somewhere else as I only did one at the other place as it was only temporary. I'll do half the room IWS and the other half DWC and I reckon I'll get a good ammount from it. I had around 100oz off the other one and that was after I had some hermie issues and some seeds here an there and also lost a couple oz to mold (botyris).
I learnt alot from it as it was the biggest one I'd done and would definately do some things different, like no so many strains, I had around 20, only use cuttings off a tried and tested mother and not veg the plants as long in the DWC.
I'm going to do a journal of the room build and document the grow through the veg and bloom taking pictures as I progress.
The whole weed scene has changed in the last 2 years over here in the UK. Cheese which used to be the ONLY strain anyone grew or wanted, has become obsolete now as no one wants it really and I know of people struggling to sell it. Weed in the UK cost between £160-£250 usually for home grown in the uk depending the grade and where in the UK. Last couple of years buying weed online has become popular and people are paying stupid money for these pots with 8ths in and oz for 600-800 for these "designer strains"' as they call them, like gelato, skittlez, GSC etc and all peope want now is these top shelf strains of cookie/og/chem dawg hybrids etc to compete with the market. Everyone now has a degree in weed quality and if your weed isn't top shelf it sells for cheap.
I still cant believe people are paying £40-£50 a gram for weed. Its a funny world.
Peace
Good afternoon Jedi.

Thank you and it's nice to see you here. This run is a bodhi strain that was a freebie that I got with some other packs. I don't think it's a strain he fully released because I can't find any other grows of it and it dosent have a name. It is chemdog91 (jb cut) X snow lotus. The colas are really starting to look nice. These plants had a hard start in life. Due to some pluming issues I had to take my tents down for a while this summer. These plants started life in a closet with no ventilation during the hottest part of the summer. I also started them in a peat mix that was way too acidic for them and had to transplant them very early. They bounced back but I've had a hard time getting the feed right on these. All that said they were very resilient and are putting out well. I have cuts of them that I'm going to run on my next cycle so maybe I'll be able to keep them a bit happier next run.

I'm happy to hear your grows are going well. I know how much work you put into your new set up and I'm glad it's paying off. Your plants look great! I'd love to hear more about your adventures with DWC and IWS. Please let me know when you start the journal I want to tag in and learn some stuff.

Ive only had good cheese buds a couple times and I really enjoyed the strain a lot. When I was looking for seeds a while back I didn't see any cheese or crosses or I'd have bought some to try. Your right it's strange how there seems to be a 'strain of the week' these days and people don't want anything else. Strains that people loved a few months ago are disrespected and it's a shame. People are pretty spoiled these days, I grew up smoking crapy brown seedy brick weed. I guess the silver lining is that people are getting to know what quality buds are all about and demanding the good stuff. Better buds for all is a good thing in the end. I still can't believe the prices over there though. 6-800 uk is like $1000 an ounce if my rough math is right. WOW. It's a funny world for sure bud.

Thanks for stopping by Jedi...Fiddy.

jedi5891

Glad to stop by mate and chime in with like minded people and talk about our love.
That Chem91 x snowlotus should be fire. Snowlotus is the male used in the gogi og I've grown and made my elite hybrids with. Its Blockhead x Afgooey and was one of Bodhis stud males used in alot of his cross's. Good you kept some cuts, I'd make a mother as having a elite mother is priceless, providing you get a good pheno. How many seeds did you get? If you've got more it'll be worth searching for the best pheno coz you have some elite genes there. Chem91 is the dogs bollox and the back bone to so many strains out there. Its very strong in aroma and effect and very stable hence why she's been crossed so much. Also a mystery to what her genetic back ground is, only that chem dawg bought some zips of what they were calling dog weed from some guy at a grateful dead concert.
I have found that if the plants veg is interupted by some stress that it usually does effect the finale quality a bit, thats why I'd run the cuts again for a better analysis of the strain.
You said your soil was too acidic, why was this. I've always used purpose made soil for cannabis and never suffered ph problems. If you can get Canna pro plus soil then I'd recomened getting it as its the best soil I've ever used, it does cost a bit more but worth the extra few quid a bag for the notable improved quality.
What feed problems did you encounter fiddynut, I'll be about for the time being so you can ask me any question. It took me a good few years to fully understand nutrients and their roles and use, and how to properly use them and how to identify the plants nutrient needs.
Alot of soil growers dont bother with ec and ph pens but I always liked to use them. If you've not got either I'd invest in them as they help to safe gaurd your grow.
What nutrients are you using, all you need is the base feeds, some boosters, enzymes and maybe some cal mag.
I've got some cheese cross's I've made in seed that you can have some of. The cross's of the cheese I've grown so far are fire, like GSC x cheese and gogi og x cheese. Got a load of psychosis x cheese that will have some fire cheese funk skunk phenos.
Take it easy for now.
Peace

Rodehazrd

Glad to stop by mate and chime in with like minded people and talk about our love.
That Chem91 x snowlotus should be fire. Snowlotus is the male used in the gogi og I've grown and made my elite hybrids with. Its Blockhead x Afgooey and was one of Bodhis stud males used in alot of his cross's. Good you kept some cuts, I'd make a mother as having a elite mother is priceless, providing you get a good pheno. How many seeds did you get? If you've got more it'll be worth searching for the best pheno coz you have some elite genes there. Chem91 is the dogs bollox and the back bone to so many strains out there. Its very strong in aroma and effect and very stable hence why she's been crossed so much. Also a mystery to what her genetic back ground is, only that chem dawg bought some zips of what they were calling dog weed from some guy at a grateful dead concert.
I have found that if the plants veg is interupted by some stress that it usually does effect the finale quality a bit, thats why I'd run the cuts again for a better analysis of the strain.
You said your soil was too acidic, why was this. I've always used purpose made soil for cannabis and never suffered ph problems. If you can get Canna pro plus soil then I'd recomened getting it as its the best soil I've ever used, it does cost a bit more but worth the extra few quid a bag for the notable improved quality.
What feed problems did you encounter fiddynut, I'll be about for the time being so you can ask me any question. It took me a good few years to fully understand nutrients and their roles and use, and how to properly use them and how to identify the plants nutrient needs.
Alot of soil growers dont bother with ec and ph pens but I always liked to use them. If you've not got either I'd invest in them as they help to safe gaurd your grow.
What nutrients are you using, all you need is the base feeds, some boosters, enzymes and maybe some cal mag.
I've got some cheese cross's I've made in seed that you can have some of. The cross's of the cheese I've grown so far are fire, like GSC x cheese and gogi og x cheese. Got a load of psychosis x cheese that will have some fire cheese funk skunk phenos.
Take it easy for now.
Peace
:tiphat: Hello Jedi
We've been discussing Ca and the problems associated with too much. Fiddy thinks he had lockout from adding too much calmag. I would appreciate your opinion. I keep adding everything I can for more sources of ca Gypsum, calcium carbonate for ph I use some calcium nitrate early on in very small amounts. Calcium phosphate from bone char is my latest addition replacing soft rock phosphate.
My observation is that all these things make my weight and terps go way up. I feed hydrolized fish every other water and added a topdress of gypsum and calcium phosphate at the switch on this run. I'm not using calmag since the topdress and don't see any issues. Do you think I should? what would It lock out?
Thanks for your kind attention.

Fiddynut

Take it easy for now.
Peace
Good morning Jedi.

Yes it's so nice to have a place to talk with each other about these plants and learn.

I'm not fimillar with a lot of strains but the chemdog and its close relatives like sour diesel are some that I'm very keen on. I love the sour/fuel/chem funkiness. I have fond memories of going to GD shows in the 80's&90's and smoking some of the best weed of my life, at that time around here most weed was crappy seedy brick so the good stuff really stood out. I'm really looking forward to finding a good keeper or two in this pack. I just have the one pack of 11 seeds and of the 5 I popped 4 were females. I have a couple pretty diffrent phenos in these 4 girls and when I run the clones of them I'll get a good idea of how they are going to grow out and I can decide on the best to keep around. I'm thinking that I'll make decisions based on taste and potency first, then yeild and structure. This is my first real 'pheno hunt' and I'm having a good time with it.

When I popped these seeds I used a peat based soil that I hadent used before and it was a mistake I won't make again. I have had great luck with fox farm happy frog soil for popping seeds and transplanting clones into. I was out of that soil and I got lazy and got some other stuff from a garden store around here. I'll look at the hydro store for the canna soil I know they sell canna nutes so maybe they have it. I don't mind paying more for good soil, in fact it seems stupid to cheap out on that and loose quality and yeild.

So after the early pH issues and early transplant I got the plants nice and healthy for a few week veg while I sexed them and did a final transplant. By the time they went into the flower tent they were nice and green and happy. I was committed to a less is more nute program for them. I'm using PBP grow and bloom (2part) and I started using the botanicare cal/mag plus. The cal/mag plus has a lot less Ca than the GO cal/mag I used in the last grow, something like 3-1 and the GO is like 5-1 I think. During the streach the color on the plants started to fade a bit. The PBP bloom has an NPK of 1-4-5. I was only using 10ml per gallon (3.75L) of the PBP every feed about every 3 days with cal/mag plus every other feed. I think I was at about 500ppm total in the feeds. Towards the end of the streach I added a little of the PBP grow with higher N. By that time I was loosing lower fan leaves. I stopped the progression of yellowing from the bottom up but they never greened back up all the way. My gut feeling is that I under fed them and they are heavier feeders than some other strains. My plan for next run is to feed more in veg and to go maybe 1/2 and 1/2 bloom and veg nutes during the streach to keep them a bit greener. I also think I can give a little more cal/mag plus until mid flower. I had overdosed my last grow on cal/mag and had lockouts so I was going light on that to avoid doing it again. I think I've been to both extremes of feeding my plants way too much and way under feeding them and I'm working twards finding a happy medium.
Here are some pics of the leaves that I had issues with.

Your right I don't hear a lot of soil growers talking about ppm but I do have a pen that I got so I can check that my RO filters are working. For pH I use the droppers and I shoot for 6.5 on that. I had a pH pen but had calibration issues on my first grow and I don't trust it like I do the drops. I just started using the 2 part PBP grow and bloom a couple grows ago and it seems to be good stuff I just have to dial in the amounts I use. It's got the synthetic salts and organically like guano too. I also have to work out how much cal/mag to use to give the plants enough but not cause lock outs. I don't have any boosters but I use diamond nectar for humadic and folic acids. I also use a kelp nute for root development on seedlings and when I transplant.

I'd love to hear more about your cheese crosses I'll PM you on that.

Sorry for the long winded book of a post. Let me know what you think of hat I'm doing and how I can improve. For me the simplest is probably the best way, I tend to get confused when I think too much. I know that I need to continue to learn how to reed my plants and let them tell me what they want. Growing dosent come naturally to me so I just have to keep working at it.

Thanks for taking interest in my little grow and for any wisdom or advise you have for me.

Badfishy1

Damn lots to catch up on. Sorry I’m driving and phonefagging so tough to scroll back up and can’t remembee who was talking about cooking a bird on grill? Anyhow not sure of living conditions (in a sub development or a place one can dig a pit) but look into cooking bird in a pit of coals. I have had really good results doing so. I don’t really listen to compliments as even I am guilty of telling people their cooking was good even when they totally fucked said meal, instead I watch amount of food left over. Based on observation alone, I think the in ground method has had awesome results! Just throwing it out there

Badfishy1

Peace

Omg I would be so happy to never hear of cheese again. My ex lived in Brighton and for YEARS that is all I heard about. Watching the UK bright side cut thread is an absolute shitposting fest and worth the lulz alone! Hopefully if we can break down the systemic push on ‘muh reefer is very very bad’ narrative and truly open a free market things will change and we will be able to freely pass around the clone only bangers. I enjoy pheno hunts personally, but would LOVE to have a stable of clone onlys! I personally do not think this day is far away especially since (((Israel))) is pushing to become a major hitter in cannabis market. Doesn’t matter how much research shekels etc you put into it if you can’t sell product freely. Perhaps we may have the chains freed

jedi5891

Cheese became a phenomenon in the UK and changed the face of weed in the accross the country. I personally love proper cheese, which is hard to find now, and know I've smoked the clone only cheese as it was pre 2005 when Big Buddha seeds bought the 1st cheese hybrid in seed to market. 2002 I first had cheese and it was skunk on steroids and smelt like nothing else. It also pushed the price from 120-130 oz, which it cost 02/03 to 160/170 literaly over night and eventually crept up to 200 oz 2010/11 and thats been the price since depending on grade/quality.
For over a decade in the UK 90% of weed grown was cheese or haze, and that's all anyone bloody wanted.
I'm partly resposible for turning some people round my way onto different flavours, as I always grew an array of flavours and genetics. My weed was good as I was tending to the plants well and had a decent environment, but it wasn't until I started growing top shelf genetics, then my weed stood out and the strains put on the map. No one grew girl scout cookies until I did and I flooded the city with thousands of cuts as with og's not many people were growing them. Now this is all anyone wants and all these import strains from cali has changed the scene again completely.

Thought I'd up load a pic from my latest crop. It's my own hybrid of GSC x Gogi og. Not ready yet as still curing, but looks to of come out real nice.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

jedi5891

:tiphat: Hello Jedi
We've been discussing Ca and the problems associated with too much. Fiddy thinks he had lockout from adding too much calmag. I would appreciate your opinion. I keep adding everything I can for more sources of ca Gypsum, calcium carbonate for ph I use some calcium nitrate early on in very small amounts. Calcium phosphate from bone char is my latest addition replacing soft rock phosphate.
My observation is that all these things make my weight and terps go way up. I feed hydrolized fish every other water and added a topdress of gypsum and calcium phosphate at the switch on this run. I'm not using calmag since the topdress and don't see any issues. Do you think I should? what would It lock out?
Thanks for your kind attention.

Calcium is king and should be classed as a macro nutrient, it strengthens cell walls allowing for better vascular systems allowing for a better up take of nutrients and improving the plants resistance to pests and moulds. So calcium really does a great deal and is a very important element. Plants need a continuous supple of soluble calcium throughout it's life but it's very easily locked out in soil. Calcium Phosphate is 95% insoluable and the plant cannot uptake enough calcium with this source of calcium, this is what bone's are made from. Calcium suphates are even worse to use which is Gypsum which is 98% insoluble. Use calcium nitrates throughout as it's 95% soluble and immediatley available to the plant.
Calcium is also passive and through transporation the plant uptakes it through the vascular system through to the tips of the leaves. If the relative room humidity is too high or low then this uptake can be hindered.
Using amino acids aids in the uptake of Calcium and acts as a chelator, bonding to the ions making it more available and uptaken better.
If I was you I'd just use Calcium in a nitrate form as it's more soluble and won't cause lock outs.
Hope this helps.
Peace

Rodehazrd

Thanks Jedi
I have used the calcium nitrate very lightly in veg only out of fear for the microbes being affected but the girls sure do like it. I wonder though how far into flower you would use the nitrate? I've heard tell of folks who could taste it used later in flower
:tiphat:
PS The bone char I use is Phostrell by Fertrell
says on the bag 32% available calcium

Last edited:

Fiddynut

Damn lots to catch up on. Sorry I’m driving and phonefagging so tough to scroll back up and can’t remembee who was talking about cooking a bird on grill? Anyhow not sure of living conditions (in a sub development or a place one can dig a pit) but look into cooking bird in a pit of coals. I have had really good results doing so. I don’t really listen to compliments as even I am guilty of telling people their cooking was good even when they totally fucked said meal, instead I watch amount of food left over. Based on observation alone, I think the in ground method has had awesome results! Just throwing it out there
Good morning Badfishy.

Thanks for turning me on to the in ground method. I've seen this done with pigs but not birds. I will give their a try sometime. You are right about the complements, even I'm guilty of not wanting to to hurt someone's feelings and telling them their food is better than it is. I do try to add some positive suggestions and feedback if someone asks how their food turned out.

I think I remember why I don't eat or cook turkey often. They are filthy birds that don't taste as good as chicken and are a pain in the ass to cook, with that big open cavity they are hard to cook evenly.

Fiddynut

Cheese became a phenomenon in the UK and changed the face of weed in the accross the country. I personally love proper cheese, which is hard to find now, and know I've smoked the clone only cheese as it was pre 2005 when Big Buddha seeds bought the 1st cheese hybrid in seed to market. 2002 I first had cheese and it was skunk on steroids and smelt like nothing else. It also pushed the price from 120-130 oz, which it cost 02/03 to 160/170 literaly over night and eventually crept up to 200 oz 2010/11 and thats been the price since depending on grade/quality.
For over a decade in the UK 90% of weed grown was cheese or haze, and that's all anyone bloody wanted.
I'm partly resposible for turning some people round my way onto different flavours, as I always grew an array of flavours and genetics. My weed was good as I was tending to the plants well and had a decent environment, but it wasn't until I started growing top shelf genetics, then my weed stood out and the strains put on the map. No one grew girl scout cookies until I did and I flooded the city with thousands of cuts as with og's not many people were growing them. Now this is all anyone wants and all these import strains from cali has changed the scene again completely.

Thought I'd up load a pic from my latest crop. It's my own hybrid of GSC x Gogi og. Not ready yet as still curing, but looks to of come out real nice.
View Image View Image View Image
Good morning Jedi.

Looking good as always bud.

I think your right that cheese was more of a UK thing. I don't think it was ever as popular in the US, possibly because it was a UK clone only I think. I haven't seen it in this part of the country but a couple times and only once was it the real deal unique flavor and sticky as hell. Thanks for giving us some history on this great strain.

Rodehazrd

Hey Tribe.
I wanted to show how the Barneys Cookie kush finally filled in thats her the skinny one left center she looks so spare next to the Dutch Kush by Paradise behind her. Most of the candy kush are a lighter green some (the ones that got the topdress of phostrell are a richer green. I just gave a fish hydrolysate drench and expect them to green on up too. The Candy ks seem to have that turned down leaf tip and the tips stay very light for a while. Are they wanting something or is that normal.
by the way got the first deer of the season 120lb spiked white tail we will be grinding tonight what isn't carved into steaks. We have the fatback from the hog this spring to add in. I'm reading back through this thread for the spices you suggested Fiddy.
ps post 102

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

jedi5891

Thanks Jedi
I have used the calcium nitrate very lightly in veg only out of fear for the microbes being affected but the girls sure do like it. I wonder though how far into flower you would use the nitrate? I've heard tell of folks who could taste it used later in flower
PS The bone char I use is Phostrell by Fertrell
says on the bag 32% available calcium

Like I said, the use of any Calcium other than Calcium nitrate is a waste of time and leaving you open to all sorts of problems. Calcium Phosphate and Calcium Sulpahte aren't very soluble and this is what's causing your lock out. The reason nutrient companies sometimes have A and B base feeds in seperate bottles, is so they don't mix the Calcium nitrate with Phophates and Sulphates causing chemicals to have a diverse effect.
From my understanding of Calcium, the plant needs a steady supply of readily available Calcium throughout it's life and will deplete what's in the soil in matter of days.
I think some people can go over board with using this and that nutrient and and using nutrients that have been tailored for the use of cannabis growing. This is where you get PH problems, especially with the use of bone meal/fish meal etc due to some brands not hot water sterolizing the stuff leaving a very acid PH.
Use a trusted brand, Canna, House and garden, GHE etc and use there veg and bloom base feeds, some enzymes maybe, a root stimulator ( not essential ) some Cal-mag if needed and a bloom booster. I have to use Cal-mag as the water by me is very soft, so we have low TDS readings from the water and some varieties will need some extra Cal-mag. Some nutrients have enough Calcium in them for some people depending on their location and plant genetics.
Your best reading the plant and understanding her needs and tending to them as and when they need.
Invest in a EC meter if not got one as they help you to gain a better understanding of the strength of some nutrients and give u more control.
If you taper your feed strength down 4 weeks before chop giving a 2 week minimum plain water flush, you'll taste just your herb.
Peace

jedi5891

Hey Fiddy, Yeah the cheese was huge in the UK but the genetics were gathered and breed in the USA by Sam the Skunkman. He is responsible for the most important cultivar and was the first to bring a stable true breeding hybrid out in seed form as Skunk #1. Proberly the most important strain ever and is the pinicle of selective breeding being the first sativa/indica hybrid that retained the best of both worlds. Sam did so much work with this line and would pheno select from upwards of 1000 plants, choosing the best 10 and narrowing them down etc. The ammount of back crossing and progney testing by Sam is paramount to why skunk#1 became the genetic back bone of so many strains accross the world, as Sam had done all the hard work and made a very stable true breeding line. Its 50%/ 50% indica/sativa with Afghani on the Indica side and Colombian Gold and Mexican gold 25% each making the sativa side.
All of this work was going on through the 70s and early 80s I think, he had to leave America and went to Holland, Amsterdam with his Skunk#1 seeds and Also bought Haze from the Haze brothers, Northern lights (Afghani indica) and Hindu kush that became pot of gold. Sam hooked up with Ben Dronkers who started sensi seeds and had skunk#1 in their cataloge, Shanti and Arjan who went on to make super silver haze and Mr nice and green house seeds. Also nevel who created his own strains, nevels haze etc and some others also got Sams genetics and 90% of the European strains came from those 4 lines.
Sam was working on 2 lines of the Skunk #1, road kill line and the sweeter side. Sam preffered the sweeter side being a more cerebal high and bred it so it wasnt such a security risk grown indoors in Europe from the smell.
The 1990s saw growing indoors take off in the UK and sensi seeds skunk#1 was very popular. The story goes that a pack of sensi skunk#1 was bought early 90s and one pheno in this pack really stood out. It was in a place called Luton that the cut originated from, also the 90s saw rave culture blow up and movents sprung up of what were called "new age travellers" who organised out door illegal raves in fields etc. They were definately given a legit, original cheese in cut and they would give free cuts out of cheese to lots of people at these raves hence why it became known as exodous cheese. What gets a bit hazey though about the cut they passed out was weather they'd crossed it or not with, I've heard silver pearl, Northern Lights, g13, widow, haze, kush etc. This is why to 100% verify your cheese is from the original source it has to of come from a guy called Brighside.
The original cheese was in a class of it's own and the impact it made speaks for itself, I do understand why people are bored of it being there so many strains to smoke. It got to the point were it was all anyone wanted or grew and there was nothing else about. I also believe that some of the cheese haters have not tried real deal, you can smell it through 5 carrier bags cheese, then they'd have a different opinion.
The cheese pheno's within the skunk#1 lines are now lost, either because of Sam reworking the sweeter lines. Or that in the 90s the seed companies got so big the sourced there seed making to outside companies and different mothers or dads were used and mothers were lost.
There's a few cheese type Terpene profile clone only cuts going about the UK from the same time, there's Blue's/livers originating from shefield having a sweeter skunky cheese smell, blue meanie also similar cheese smell and psychosis thats again a sweeter fruity cheese type. Not many people were keeping cuts back then and its not easy getting hold of these cuts now.
Peace

Last edited:

Badfishy1

Hey Fiddy, Yeah the cheese was huge in the UK but the genetics were gathered and breed in the USA by Sam the Skunkman. He is responsible for the most important cultivar and was the first to bring a stable true breeding hybrid out in seed form as Skunk #1. Proberly the most important strain ever and is the pinicle of selective breeding being the first sativa/indica hybrid that retained the best of both worlds. Sam did so much work with this line and would pheno select from upwards of 1000 plants, choosing the best 10 and narrowing them down etc. The ammount of back crossing and progney testing by Sam is paramount to why skunk#1 became the genetic back bone of so many strains accross the world, as Sam had done all the hard work and made a very stable true breeding line. Its 50%/ 50% indica/sativa with Afghani on the Indica side and Colombian Gold and Mexican gold 25% each making the sativa side.
All of this work was going on through the 70s and early 80s I think, he had to leave America and went to Holland, Amsterdam with his Skunk#1 seeds and Also bought Haze from the Haze brothers, Northern lights (Afghani indica) and Hindu kush that became pot of gold. Sam hooked up with Ben Dronkers who started sensi seeds and had skunk#1 in their cataloge, Shanti and Arjan who went on to make super silver haze and Mr nice and green house seeds. Also nevel who created his own strains, nevels haze etc and some others also got Sams genetics and 90% of the European strains came from those 4 lines.
Sam was working on 2 lines of the Skunk #1, road kill line and the sweeter side. Sam preffered the sweeter side being a more cerebal high and bred it so it wasnt such a security risk grown indoors in Europe from the smell.
The 1990s saw growing indoors take off in the UK and sensi seeds skunk#1 was very popular. The story goes that a pack of sensi skunk#1 was bought early 90s and one pheno in this pack really stood out. It was in a place called Luton that the cut originated from, also the 90s saw rave culture blow up and movents sprung up of what were called "new age travellers" who organised out door illegal raves in fields etc. They were definately given a legit, original cheese in cut and they would give free cuts out of cheese to lots of people at these raves hence why it became known as exodous cheese. What gets a bit hazey though about the cut they passed out was weather they'd crossed it or not with, I've heard silver pearl, Northern Lights, g13, widow, haze, kush etc. This is why to 100% verify your cheese is from the original source it has to of come from a guy called Brighside.
The original cheese was in a class of it's own and the impact it made speaks for itself, I do understand why people are bored of it being there so many strains to smoke. It got to the point were it was all anyone wanted or grew and there was nothing else about. I also believe that some of the cheese haters have not tried real deal, you can smell it through 5 carrier bags cheese, then they'd have a different opinion.
The cheese pheno's within the skunk#1 lines are now lost, either because of Sam reworking the sweeter lines. Or that in the 90s the seed companies got so big the sourced there seed making to outside companies and different mothers or dads were used and mothers were lost.
There's a few cheese type Terpene profile clone only cuts going about the UK from the same time, there's Blue's/livers originating from shefield having a sweeter skunky cheese smell, blue meanie also similar cheese smell and psychosis thats again a sweeter fruity cheese type. Not many people were keeping cuts back then and its not easy getting hold of these cuts now.
Peace

Where does the ‘suicide cut’ originate? Yes Sam is definitely considered a legend. A little humility would go a long way tho