What's new

Fermented plant extracts

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
johnnyb-

i didn't respond earlier because i have no bokashi experience, but i can tell you that this juice is called "leachate" which might help your research.

in thermal and vermi compost, the leachate is considered relatively worthless since it has very low nutrient profiles. also it can harbor pathogens if your compost has manure or other disease carriers that have not been properly processed.

good luck!

mapinguari

Veteran
I've just made a willow infusion. Been reading about how people try to activate the plant's SAR immunity with aspirin and stuff.

Usually people just use willow water for rooting, right?

What I want to know is if anyone has experience using willow water as a foliar spray.

Muchas gracias a todos!

flat3ric

I've been reading the stickies in the organic soil forum and so far have been very impressed and inspired!

I'd like to start some FPE, and was wondering if I would be missing out at all by using Kombucha and a little bit of active culture yogurt as the EM?

Scrappy4

Veteran
Most of the fpe's can be made with just water, and you can search for lacto b recipes for a em1 cousin that can be used in a fpe.. Kambucha I have no idea.....scrappy

S

Stankie

I would skip the kombucha. It is mainly yeast and acetic acid bacteria.

I personally would leave kombucha on the shelf at Whole Paycheck, but that is another discussion I suppose.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you dont need any EM, lacto bacillus, BIM, kombochu, any of that stuff to make FPE.

the only thing you need is

-plant material
-water
-something to put it in
-something to apply it with

thats it.

mapinguari

Veteran
jaykush, I have another question for you, really an invitation if you're up for it.

I hope that you could sketch out a rough schedule of what kinds of FPEs you use on cannabis, when. You have said yarrow is good anytime, but especially (I think) early to mid-flower. Comfrey and nettle for veg (or generally?)... Other than that, could you please flesh it out a bit more? I'd really appreciate it, and I bet lots of others would, too.

Anyone else with FPE experience please feel free to chime in as well. I've made several concoctions so far but have little to go on for how to use them.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i just made a borage flower fpe. i'm not too sure the potential uses/benefits. they're just such healthy plants in my garden and i had a ton of flowers and ripe buds, so i went for it. according to great vista chemicals:

The primary chemical constituents of Borage leaves & flowers include mucilage, tannin, saponins, essential oil, alkaloid (pyrrolizidine), vitamin C, calcium, and potassium. The seeds contain essential fatty acids, linoleic acid, and gamma-linolenic acid.

it'll probably be a nice foliar.

mapin-

keep in mind that you can affect the nutrient profile in your fpe's by selectively using diff parts of the plants.

my yarrow fpe is made from only the flowers, for example.

Hey heady blunts I have been using borage (leaves and flowers) veg --> mid flower. It is an annual that grows fast so you can get a quick turn around if you start it from seed indoors as I do.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mapinguari - how about you make a list of plants and if i know ill say when its best to use them. i dont do schedules of any kind.

DARC MIND

Veteran
Hey heady blunts I have been using borage (leaves and flowers) veg --> mid flower. It is an annual that grows fast so you can get a quick turn around if you start it from seed indoors as I do.
try just starting seeds OD under some mulch,moisten the 1st wk and take a few steps back
(no need to baby indoor imo)
borage has been self seeding in my garden for 2yrs,took one plant to do this
ther easy to collect seed from and will gladly take the place of a bioaccumulating weed were ever you plant them,each flwr head can hold 3-4seeds,chop and drop or collect and spread

G

greenmatter

try just starting seeds OD under some mulch,moisten the 1st wk and take a few steps back
(no need to baby indoor imo)
borage has been self seeding in my garden for 2yrs,took one plant to do this
ther easy to collect seed from and will gladly take the place of a bioaccumulating weed were ever you plant them,each flwr head can hold 3-4seeds,chop and drop or collect and spread

last time i planted a borage seed was 7 years ago. now i "weed" out more every spring than i planted that first year. the stuff grows great, the bees and other good bugs love it and it is easy to get rid of in an area if you don't want it there.

i have started getting plants with white flowers in the past couple years. i have never seen white borage in a seed packet so i was wondering if anyone else has the same thing going on in their garden. is this a mutation or is it normal for borage to do this?

mapinguari

Veteran
mapinguari - how about you make a list of plants and if i know ill say when its best to use them. i dont do schedules of any kind.

He he...I should know better than to ask you for things like schedules and pH readings by now! Shoulda talked of a "toolbox" or something like that.

Anyway, here goes. These are the plants I either have available or have already made extracts from:

alfalfa
clover (red / white / whatever)
comfrey
dandelion
nettle
yarrow
willow

Which of these do you like to use individual parts (or aboveground parts) and which the whole plant?

I guess that some of these FPEs might be ones that you use on an as-needed basis instead of as a matter of course during whichever phase of growth. Are there some like that?

jaykush, these are the plants I think I've seen you discuss the most. Are there others that you'd definitely keep in the toolbox?

Thanks dude, I know you've answered at least some of these questions in other places, so I hope you don't mind putting a little bit of it together here.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wonder about making a blend of all your beneficial plants as 1 fpe - it should be practical throughout the life of the plant - only exception of note is where tricontinol in alfalfa may cause too much stretch during flower - FTMP, the plant appears to use the same nute profile through flower as veg - just more of it. at whatever rate, w/ organics, the plant/soil food web decide what to give when so not much use for a schedule

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
alfalfa - use in veg as fpe, use as mulch from whole dried plants
clover (red / white / whatever) - veg, or as mulch(living and non)
comfrey - flower, good mulch
dandelion - general all around
nettle - veg, good mulch for plants going into veg
yarrow - veg to mid flower
willow- use for rooting hormone, or leaves as mulch.

jaykush, these are the plants I think I've seen you discuss the most. Are there others that you'd definitely keep in the toolbox?

i use dozens and dozens of different plants in the long run, but generally use the following when i the plants need some. otherwise they just get water.

nettle
yarrow
dandelion
chamomile
lavender
comfrey

at whatever rate, w/ organics, the plant/soil food web decide what to give when so not much use for a schedule

a perfect midnset for a mulch/top dressing way of growing, but not so much when it comes to liquid fertilizers. you can easily apply the wrong extract at the wrong time. tons of nettle in mid to late flower = bad idea. yet tiny amounts would be no problem.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so, based on mapinguari's selection of plants;

would:

willow FPE - rooting/cuttings

alfalfa, clover, nettle, yarrow, dandelion FPE - veg

comfrey, dandelion, yarrow FPE -early flower?

be a "good" schedule?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i guess if one wanted to go off a schedule they could do so. i would add camelia flower fpe to the flowering list.

and the willow isnt really an fpe. well its not fermented, its just a soak. mostly with the stems and fresh tip growth, soak for 24 hours then take out the willow. soak your cuttings in the willow water for 12-24 hours then into your rooting medium.

h.h.

Veteran
Desert willow is not a true willow yet has many similarities including salicin in the bark. It is also fast growing and a source of auxins.
I usually do a quick extract with the leaves and flowers when they fall. Taking out the litter, which is laid out to dry, I add compost and proceed to bubble with molasses for a day. The litter is added back in a few hours before use to soak up the ACT and then used as mulch.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CHLI2

Latest posts

Latest posts