What's new

Fermented plant extracts

charlieD

you would not be holding it if it was nettle.

you now make me unsure on what I've found, the plants haven't really stung me, all it's done is make me itchy and burny when I rubbed it on my upper arm, but nothing to the hand area. I'm just going to have to wait till they bloom to be 100.

Scrappy4

Veteran
I checked on my dandelion FPE yesterday and found the PH is going up. I'm using em1, and thought it should be going down. A week ago it was 4 something and yesterday it was 5.5 Am i having a bacterial bloom? .....anyone? scrappy

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I checked on my dandelion FPE yesterday and found the PH is going up. I'm using em1, and thought it should be going down. A week ago it was 4 something and yesterday it was 5.5 Am i having a bacterial bloom? .....anyone? scrappy I checked on my dandelion FPE yesterday and found the PH is going up. I'm using em1, and thought it should be going down. A week ago it was 4 something and yesterday it was 5.5 Am i having a bacterial bloom? .....anyone? scrappy

silly scrappy, no need to check PH. the bacterial blooms usually happen within the first few days of decomposition depending on temperature, then they slowly die back(which imo is part of what makes the liquids so nutrient rich).

mapinguari

Veteran
Hey jaykush, I've got some yarrow fpe going, just strained it today after about a week in a bucket. Smells great, hear you can use it for a hair rinse and that's pretty exciting.

But mainly I did this for my herb plants. There are like a dozen or more mentions of yarrow in this thread, but the post I'm looking for eludes me: I think you wrote once that "yarrow is for flower"--is that right? At the same time, it's supposed to have (plant growth) stimulating properties, right? Would you use it during veg?

Thanks dude.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
heard from where you can use it as a hair rinse? i dont know if id use the FPE on my hair. but i do use infusions on my hair, basically boiling the plant material in water. nettle infusion works great as a hair conditioner,.

yarrow can be used as a general all around, i find the best time for it is in the transition from veg to flower, and early flower along with comfrey. it also depends if you made it from just blooms,just leaves, both, with roots, etc...

Scrappy4

Veteran
silly scrappy, no need to check PH. the bacterial blooms usually happen within the first few days of decomposition depending on temperature, then they slowly die back(which imo is part of what makes the liquids so nutrient rich).

It's about 3 weeks old, but has been in my shed, and it has been in the 50's at night here. It is starting to decompose, and it stinks pretty bad, and has a little white fungus on the top.
So your saying the ph is of no consequence? Scrappy

mapinguari

Veteran
heard from where you can use it as a hair rinse? i dont know if id use the FPE on my hair. but i do use infusions on my hair, basically boiling the plant material in water. nettle infusion works great as a hair conditioner,.

yarrow can be used as a general all around, i find the best time for it is in the transition from veg to flower, and early flower along with comfrey. it also depends if you made it from just blooms,just leaves, both, with roots, etc...

I'm not sure where I first read about the hair rinse thing, but a lot of sites tout it, mainly for oily hair and hair loss, neither of which is a particular problem for me. But one person also says she uses it in her apple cider vinegar hair rinses for shine and detangling.

Yeah, I don't know if an FPE of it would be the same, we'll see. I didn't use any LAB culture on it, but that's probably not going to stop lots of stuff from happening. Hopefully not stinky stuff, so far it smells good.

I harvested the stems from just a few inches above the ground, then crushed and broke up the stems and flowers after they dried a bit. So, no roots and no leaves.

jaykush, care to break down what's good in the different parts of the yarrow plant?

Thanks for the tips on when to use it, too.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I don't know if an FPE of it would be the same, we'll see

lol well i do, make an infusion for your hair. FPE are for plants.

Yarrow ( Achillea millefolium )

nutrients:Iron, Lime, Potash, Soda, Phosphorus, Sulphur, Nitrates

The primary chemical constituents of Yarrow include essential oil (proazulene, borneol, camphor, cineole, eugenol, linalool, pinene, sabinene, thujone), isovalerianic acid, achillein, formic acid, salicylic acid, polyacetylenes, asparagin, sterols, glycoalkaloid (achhilleine), flavonoids (apigenin, luteolin, rutin, quercitin), coumarins and tannins

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahh good ole thujone!

If its good enough to fix up Achillies heel its good enough for me :smoke:

Will yarrow regrow from rootstock or it needs to seed?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yarrow can be divided in the fall. one plant can divide up to a few hundred new plants. yet its real easy to grow from seed.

Scrappy4

Veteran
Does anyone have a element profile for milkweed? I did a quick google search without luck. It seems to be a good year for it around me....scrappy