What's new

Feminized Seeds Vs Standard

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
The Truth About Feminized Seeds
By "G" - Thursday, August 21 2008
Tags:

We explain how "feminized" seeds are made, why the plants are more likely to turn males, and how to use normal seeds to get a large all-female crop.
The idea of “feminized” seeds is heralded as a new wave of breeding enabling you to grow only females, but in reality it is a less reliable and less effective method than simply cloning your favorite plant. Feminizing seeds is nothing new; in fact, it’s done from a process that used to be called “hermaphroditic breeding” or “Breeding with Herman”.
Even a leaf can root!
During the 1970s and ‘80s it was often the case that the seeds you grew came from a bag of good bud. The bud usually had a name, but it was often made up by the local dealer trying to make his stash sound more exotic. In truth, you knew nothing about the parentage of the seeds that your bag contained. Sure, the female was great smoke – but you knew nothing of her size, shape, yield or genetics. The male involved was a total mystery; there was no way you could guess what the genetics of the pollen donor was. These seeds generally resulted in a range of plant genetics, which made one believe that there were a variety of males around when the female was budding.

As is often the case when genetics are mixed, you get failures and successes. More than one great breed was founded on a bag of random seeds. You would plant a hundred or so of the seeds you had, wait to see what Mother Nature – and your local dealer – had handed you, keep your fingers crossed hoping for a super-breed, and watched as some of the seeds came up. A few of the seedlings were sickly and didn’t live long, while others were strong, vigorous, and grew like weeds (pun intended), so you culled the sickly, nourished the healthy, and picked your favorites.

Through this lengthy and detailed process you would end up with a number of healthy young marijuana plants, which would be transplanted into large containers and, after ten to fourteen days, introduced to a budding cycle of 12 hours light and 12 hours dark. This causes the plants to elongate and show their sex, so it was easy to quickly find and kill the males and wait patiently (or impatiently!) for the remaining females to develop buds and ripen. Doing this inside grow rooms and greenhouses was easy and effective, but the seed planting and selection Fucking incredible, three weeks into floweringprocedure had to be repeated every year, and crops varied from big and dense to small and weak. We also found that after all that trouble of removing males, we sometimes ended up with females that switched sexes when they were stressed, resulting in accidental cross breeding – female plants were pollinated by females that developed male sex organs (hermaphrodites). We decided to grow out those seeds and, to our joy, we discovered that the ratio of females to males was skewed to a greater number of females. This was our discovery of hermaphroditic breeding.

Around the same time we were re-introduced to the method of cloning – I say re-introduced because while it wasn’t a process we had been using, it was a simple gardening technique my grandmother had shown me years before as “making cuttings”. She would cut off a branch of a plant with a sharp knife and stick it into a hormone rooting solution, homemade from pieces of willow tree branches soaked in water. Growers these days buy rooting hormone, but the process is identical.

I had a crop of 20 young plants of various strain backgrounds. We took two clones from each of the plants, and then used the budding light cycle to force the sex to show. Once we identified the male plants (half of them) we killed them and their clones, which still left us with ten large budding females and their 20 clones.

Now we had ten different hybrid genetics in total with two clones from each to work with and choose from. Even though we were making great strides, we wanted a room full of the same breed with the same size and characteristics. Basically, we wanted many copies of one great female plant so made the decision to play “Breeding Hermans”. We took two clones from one female plant, stressed one of the clones until it developed male sex organs, and then bred it with the other female clone. To our delight it worked – we ended up with seeds that grew into females 85-90 percent of the time and were consistent with the original female plant’s characteristics. We could now plant around 30 to 40 seeds and end up with 30 female plants the same size with the same genetics. We were ecstatic.
Placing clones in the soil
However, silver linings often have a cloud attached and it was true in this case. The female plants that developed from hermaphroditic seeds had the drawback of being far more likely than ordinary plants to develop male branches – turn “Herman” – when stressed. More than once, a power, pump or light failure caused enough stress to the plants that they easily went hermaphroditic. Outdoors we had even more trouble; in bad-weather years we could end up with a plant from a feminized seed developing male flowers and blowing pollen all over the other plants, ruining our dreams of a sinsemilla crop. We decided that feminized plants might have a place in our business’ industry, but it wouldn’t be in our gardens.

It was our dream to grow rooms full of females of consistent genetics, and we made our dream come true by going back to cloning. It was so simple that we couldn’t believe that we hadn’t thought of it before. We planted ten normal seeds and nourished them with love and care, but this time we took 25 clones from each plant instead of just two. Then we put the mothers into bud cycle and sexed them; within ten days we identified and killed off the male plants and their clones, and found that we had six large females in bud and around 150 female clones. We continued to bud the mothers as we began to grow our female clones, and finally decided there were two plants that stood out from the crowd – they were bigger, denser, and smelled the best, so we kept their clones and culled the others. We harvested all of the mothers then placed the 50 chosen young marijuana plants into two rooms and switched them to the budding cycle. We had developed a process that made our dream a reality: grow-rooms full of consistent female plants.
Rooted clone being transplanted
It doesn’t take a horticulturist to see that using cloning to procure a room full of female cannabis plants is far more economical than growing “feminized seeds” that easily go hermaphroditic. It is simple to grow numerous female plants with only a few seeds of known genetics. For example, if you get ten seeds from a world-class marijuana breeder/bank, such as Burmese from xxxxxxxCompany (), those seeds should become ten seedlings. At three to four weeks, take ten cuttings from each of the plants, then flip the plants to the bud cycle. Kill males as they show their sex and get rid of their clones, and you should be left with about five large budding females (more or less) and 50 guaranteed female clones of the same pure genetics, without any hermaphroditic tendencies.

So, for the price of ten seeds you end up with dozens of pure female plants, instead of purchasing “feminized” seeds only to get an unstable and unpredictable hermaphroditic breed. You can use regular seeds to grow an all-female crop, and that’s
why we don’t sell feminized seeds.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeh,,darwin your caught my thoughts on cell framework exactly!!,,,,,

but id like to point out,,,,ive had plants expressing early veg with blue light,,,and late veg with red light,,,,,,,,,,,mothers display higher levels of hormone to clones,,im sure mothers show higher levels of everything in comparison to clones

D

Dalaihempy

Rick a plants veg cycle is only used to produce a root system to anchor the plant and for nutrient uptake and to develop future flower sites it has nothing to do with the maturity of the plant or does it have any affect on the potency of the harvest the time in flower meaning if harvested to early does some lines in fact have a cut off in flower to if they go past a set time they stall then die others dont.

Plants that do in late flower show a few male flowers or even produce a single seed is due to a hormone produced by the female for self preservation.

There is a big difference in a plant that at sexing shows male and female flowers to a plant that in late flower producing a few male flowers or even self pollinating to produce a single seed.

Most clones do come in faster than the seed mum but some don't some clones come in around the same time no one can really explane why some clones mature faster some don't its like growing the same clone in different grow spaces they all tend to grow different even if given the same environment.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hay hempy....good to see you bro,,,i dont know why i like you but i do:),,,we dont seem to agree on many things but i still think your cool:)

i think clones sometimes finish faster than seedplants because clones have more complex root systems,,,,,,complex root systems = quicker responce,,,once you flip to flower the plant is just resopnding and moves to "finishing"

but,, what do you think about what darwin said about cell framework hempy?

hay guys,,,,,what do you think about the hormone that makes shoots and tips move to light?,,,,im sure you know the hormone im talking about??,,,,its the hormone we try and capture when taking clones from shoots and tips,,,,,,,??????

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
Most clones do come in faster than the seed mum but some don't some clones come in around the same time no one can really explane why some clones mature faster some don't its like growing the same clone in different grow spaces they all tend to grow different even if given the same environment.

the explanation will be related to maturity of the parent the clone was taken from, which will affect the type and amount of hormones in the clone, as well as the size of the clone. i'd say the larger the clone the quicker it will grow once rooted because it will be able to generate more energy and thus increase cell production etc.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hay guys,,,,,what do you think about the hormone that makes shoots and tips move to light?,,,,im sure you know the hormone im talking about??,,,,its the hormone we try and capture when taking clones from shoots and tips,,,,,,,??????

yeah i think you're taking about auxins, they still blow my mind ever since yr 9 at school and first learning about them in biology class... they build up on the side of the plant that light hits and turn the plant towards it, it's incredible stuff for an organism that has no nervous system etc i notice it all the time when i shift plants or recently when weaving my scrog grow the leaves will all turn over to face the light again within about 30mins to an hour.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
have any of you guys ever hammerd a plant with silica:),,,,,the cell framework totaly changes:)

yeh,,,,it might be auxins:),,,,your flippin amazing darwin:),,,,,,ive got a feelin larger healthy "fastgrowing" plants have a weird buildup of auxin`s:)...lol:)

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah there're some cool things auxins affect like height of a plant etc. mutants often grow much taller and are way more spindly then normal plants, i can remember seeing a cabbage that was an auxin mutant and the cabbage was like 2ft tall i think... bizarre shit. this may be part of the difference between sativa's and indica phenotypes, the level of auxins etc which will affect the plant's morphology. gibberellins also play a part too i believe.

here's an example of what i mean

Auxin.jpg

A healthy Arabidopsis thaliana plant (left) next to an auxin signal-transduction mutant

Auxin Effects: Auxin stimulates cell elongation by stimulating wall loosening factors, such as elastins, to loosen cell walls. The effect is stronger if gibberellins are also present. Auxin also stimulates cell division if cytokinins are present. When auxin and cytokinin are applied to callus, rooting can be generated if the auxin concentration is higher than cytokinin concentration. Xylem tissues can be generated when the auxin concentration is equal to the cytokinins.
Auxin participates in phototropism, geotropism, hydrotropism and other developmental changes. The uneven distribution of auxin, due to environmental cues such as unidirectional light or gravity force, results in uneven plant tissue growth.
Auxin also induces sugar and mineral accumulation at the site of application.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxin

D

Dalaihempy

hay hempy....good to see you bro,,,i dont know why i like you but i do:),,,we dont seem to agree on many things but i still think your cool:)

i think clones sometimes finish faster than seedplants because clones have more complex root systems,,,,,,complex root systems = quicker responce,,,once you flip to flower the plant is just resopnding and moves to "finishing"

but,, what do you think about what darwin said about cell framework hempy?

hiya rick have not read the cell frame work post but root production happens mostly in veg and slows in flower the plant grows the root system for 2 main reasons one is for up take of nutrients and 2 is to anchor the plant it has no bearing on why the flowering is faster from seed plant to clone plant of the same plant mate.

The fact that a plant can be vegged for 2 weeks or 2 years has no impact on the harvested flowers potency what does is how long it is flowered for meaning if you harvest to early it will not smoke as if it was harvested at maturity.

Also some plants that are cloned from a seed mum can come in at the same time as the seed plant others can come in a few weeks faster and i have even seen some plants come in half the time the seed plant grew there is no real explanation.

Plants are a lot more complex than most relies like most things in nature and in this world we don't know shit about most of the complexity of nature and how things co exist or how things we have no understanding of are intertwined with things we would not even expect let alone understand.

What a fucking fantastic thread. There must be a feminized vs Regular seed grow/s out there. Somone should link them all up into this and make it a sticky.

Some good heads clashing together on this one.

:lurk:

(man I really wanna hit 50 posts and i'll be happy Lol)

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hey hartstocht! welcome to the game :D just find some threads on topics you're really interested in and get to asking questions and discussing stuff :D i'm yet to see anyone on here who's bought femmed seeds and regular seeds of the same strain from the same breeder and grow them side by side but i'm sure someone's done it out there. but you're definitely right, i think it'd be a great idea for that sort of exp to be done. quality of plants would fem compared to regular, and both, would really show how good the breeder was. :D all the best mate!

Well I was an old time member of overgrow, I like to read and not show, unless there is something in it for me, not dough but more along the lines of sough. I'm amazed at the acheivements and the carry through from overgrow on this site.

Here is a question would a very fucking sexy female specimen make a very fucking sexy male?

I still think a very fucking sexy female and a very fucking sexy male crossed together is going to produce something special, but is there a difference? Let's investigate.

I am going to do something I don't usually do and purchase some Feminised and Normal seed of the same strain. I will have someone in Australia Grow them outdoors (yes the environment will not be as stable as indoor unfortunately) but, it will add to this thread i'm sure.

I'ma have a search through the threads Darwin, see if this one has come up before from an indoor grower with stable invironment (indoor) and see what they got. Got to be one out there to settle this or further perpetuate this botanist dispute.

SHANTIBA? FRANCO? What are your thoughts on the matter?

:tiphat:

:lurk:

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im sure this has been done already just need to find the grows.

There are some strains only ava fem like SLH. I GEW THIS AND LOVED IT.

I grew SSH fem and loved it. GHS regular line is difficult to get since they dont make regular anymore

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
ah sweet mate, yeah to do it right you'd probably need fem and reg outside and fem and reg inside, and if it were a perfect world as many replicates for each of those 4 grows as possible as well as different strains from diff breeders haha but time, size and cost constraints can be a bitch, as well as law/risk constraints here in australia. even if you do find one mate, i'm sure anything you do on the matter will only improve our current knowledge of the matter. definitely keep me posted with whatever you end up doing mate i'll be first in line to pull up a chair and a joint! :D all the best mate, and nice to meet ya!

darwin

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Many variables to consider , like how old were parents , And were they from seed or clones or regens .. and what were methods used to reverse females for pollen , GA3 will alter genetic make up , where is STS and others do not ...
Also im am vary curious to know how viable is pollen collected from reversed fems as compared to males of same species

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
nice1 guys this is some good reading...am having to blast loads of bongs so i can understand what yous are talking about heheheheeh...joking.......

just to drop my 2cent...
i think the only reason clones grow faster than seed (of the same age) is because there already at sexual maturity,,,eg ..the mom has been getting high feed and has the frame work in place so when cuts are rooted thay can already take the high feed = clone is already in top gear just waiting for 12/12 + already has the frame work in place to know what/were/when to do it....as for the seed of the same age (as your clone) is still building it frame work and trying to sus out if it wants to be male or female = grows slower as it still building the frame work:thinking:

one more thing i agree with....roots growing in veg only,,i think this is true to a certain point,,,i have repoted plants 3 weeks into flower before and uptn looking at the roots when done there was very little root growth within the new coco.... eg. the plants only need to find there feet & sexual maturity then the roots slow down (never stop just slows down),,,your 2 weeks at the start of flower (stretch), this is when you plant know what it is (male/female) and the roots slow right down because thay dont need to grow (frame work again is in place) so conentrate on nute uptake/flower prodution....

man i feel way out of my depth in hear with you guys...you know what your taking about and i LIKE TO THINK i know what am taking about:laughing:...shit i dont even know if what i just typed made any sence (took me 30min to do this so i aint backing out know hahaha)

keep it green
highlander

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
man i feel way out of my depth in hear with you guys...you know what your taking about and i LIKE TO THINK i know what am taking about:laughing:...shit i dont even know if what i just typed made any sence (took me 30min to do this so i aint backing out know hahaha)

keep it green
highlander

don't feel out of your depth mate, everyone has to start somewhere with respect to learning about this stuff, it takes jumping in the deep end sometimes to learn stuff faster. :D so keep asking questions, as it helps us learn more and reinforce what we already know in ourselves too! i agree with you in what you said mate :tiphat:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
personally I HATE fem seeds don't even know why ppl waste their time or breeders put them out... I mean I get it (for a perfect grow and who has that?) hence the hermie shit..Who needs to waste their money on that again? Not to mention the fact your fucking with the stock but hey thats just me.. WTF it's too late now right...let the crap spread till the next guy has to grow it....Stick with the old hot and cold method it's worked for millions of years don't fuck with what works I say.. lol peace out Headband707
With all respect, headband...I want to use your take on things as an example.
You hate fem seeds, and have made your conclusions from readings you have done, which is evident because you posted up the drivel that "G" posted up somewhere. But here is the thing...G is talking about old school hermies and nothing more. He isn't describing the selection process to find true breeding females to use for a forcing strategy. He is only talking about how "they" discovered (lol...yeah they discovered it) the technique. And it was very funny reading how they found a very high percentage of males to females as a result...see that is funny to me, because what they had was a ratio of zero males, and 100% females and many with a high propensity to show the intersex trait. Nothing more, nothing less.
Basically, G missed the boat when talking about feminizing seeds. He wasn't describing a feminizing strategy at all, but a hack pollen chucking using less than true breeding stock.
He would have a high rate of hermie if he used a male with that hermie laden female that led to his claimed "discovery". (again...lol)

Lots of lame crap gets put out on the internet, and many folks simply buy into it because they think that the poster has some credibility...which they may well have, but when they post crap like is being posted, it is no wonder new growers and folks new to the concept of fems get a bad taste in their mouths.
But the bad taste is from bad info being put out there, and folks eating it up like so much candy.

Texicannibus

noob
Veteran
hey hartstocht! welcome to the game :D just find some threads on topics you're really interested in and get to asking questions and discussing stuff :D i'm yet to see anyone on here who's bought femmed seeds and regular seeds of the same strain from the same breeder and grow them side by side but i'm sure someone's done it out there. but you're definitely right, i think it'd be a great idea for that sort of exp to be done. quality of plants would fem compared to regular, and both, would really show how good the breeder was. :D all the best mate!

Eventually I can do this to some degree. I have 3 ssh fems(GH) that I am selecting from right now and have two 5 packs of non fem ssh from Ghsco as well. Got a killer deal on them off the bay probably a bit old ... but i got faith. Hopefully I can see how much variation difference there was. I should note that the fems had some variation as well. Two have a very strong peppery smell, indica shape, indica leaves, ect.. While one has slight peppery smell with some floral or fruity accents, has indica leaves, has hybrid structure. The bud structure also leans hybrid.

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
don't feel out of your depth mate, everyone has to start somewhere with respect to learning about this stuff, it takes jumping in the deep end sometimes to learn stuff faster. :D so keep asking questions, as it helps us learn more and reinforce what we already know in ourselves too! i agree with you in what you said mate :tiphat:

lol cheers mate (i now feel a tad better lol),...i only wanted to grow some smoke and now i find myself wanting to learn more,,,dam life is back to front sometimes,,now wishing i stuck in a school/biology...

am sitting in the wings & learning some good stuff in hear..i will pitch in when/if i can & when i have some Questions:tiphat:......this seems to be one the better threads,,just some good old head knocking instead of the good old....fems are crap, never breed with them ect ect ect yall know what am taking about (well the brains will hehehe) bashing fems & seed banks,,,,,
at the end of the day were all hear for the same thing GANJA & to better our own smoke...so lets all work together it for ourselfs:tiphat:

carry on :dance013:

keep it green
highlander