What's new

feminized plant question... I hate to do this but...

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
If you clone a mother plant and reverse that clone, take the pollen from the reversed plant and pollinate the mother, the resulting plants will be the same as an S1. But to say it would be a clone of the mother, or the clone of the mother where the pollen came from is not correct unless the mother was an ibl afaik. It would be more or less analogous to crossing F1 individuals to produce F2 progeny, except the plants would be all female. So you'd have a lot of variation.

Is this not correct?

Sorta....

Even an IBL is rarely homogenous enough that offspring would be "clones".

But a true IBL (the term tends to be used rather loosely by many people) would give you less variety in the offspring produced by selfing than taking a true F1 (of two different strains) to F2.

Analogy using humans:

IBL: Take a pygmy.....and self her....pygmies (as in the African tribe) are all very short and very dark......you would expect some variety in the offspring, but you'd expect them all to be very short and very dark.

F1 -> F2: Cross a pygmy with a Swede. Let's say the F1 generation is quite similar.....all individuals are mid-height, and light/medium brown in skin colour. If we now cross the F1s to get F2s, we will see lots of variation....individuals that look like pygmies, some that look like Swedes....some that are tall and very dark, some that are short and light-skinned etc etc.

You'd get much more variation in the F2 offspring than the Selfed IBL offspring.

The example you give would be more akin to selfing one of the Pygmy x Swede F1s.....the offspring would all be female but show lots of variation, as the F1 is very heterozygous (i.e. the copy of each chromosome varies markedly between parents).

Yeah I know I was aware of that I just was using the theoretical IBL for argument's sake ;) Thanks for clearing it up anyway :)

Latest posts

Latest posts