What's new

Feds Shutting Down Harborside....

I

Iron_Lion

Killing jobs, that's what America does best. Let's take tax paying business that provides good paying jobs to the citizens and let's crush them into the ground with rules, regulations and just plain tax the living shit out of them til they give up then swoop in destroy everything they own and haul them off to jail. This train of thought makes no sense. They must sleep great at night knowing they put all these bad guys behind bars.

smoooth

I knew this was gonna come shortly. They brought way to much attention to themselves. Anytime you try and rub it in the Feds faces, you think they aren't gonna come down on your ass with a show of force?

Hah! I was wondering what happened to Weed Wars. Seemed like it just, stopped. What do you expect? Shouldnt have given the middle finger to the feds in public.
It's unfortunate.

Was just gonna say that Montel will cover it.
But apparently he's come to Sacramento.

Mia

Haag issued a statement Wednesday, saying that while taking action against pot shops operating near children had been her first priority, "marijuana superstores such as Harborside" are now on her radar, as well.

"The larger the operation, the greater the likelihood that there will be abuse of the state's medical marijuana laws, and marijuana in the hands of individuals who do not have a demonstrated medical need," she said.

You really have to admire these idiots' logic....
Surprised it took them so long frankly...

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Harborside getting shut down?

Harborside getting shut down?

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — An Oakland medical marijuana dispensary that has been billed as the largest pot shop on the planet has been targeted for closure by federal prosecutors in Northern California, suggesting that a crackdown on the state's medical marijuana industry remains well under way.
U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag has threatened to seize the Oakland property where Harborside Health Center has operated since 2006, as well as its sister shop in San Jose, executive director and co-founder Steve DeAngelo said Wednesday. His employees found court papers announcing asset forfeiture proceedings against Harborside's landlords taped to the doors at the two locations on Tuesday.
Although medical marijuana is legal in California, a federal court complaint that Haag's office filed Sunday says the dispensaries are violating federal law by selling marijuana. It cites a federal law that "makes it unlawful to rent, lease, profit from or make available for use, with or without compensation, a place for the purpose of unlawfully manufacturing, storing, distributing or using a controlled substance, to wit, marijuana," as justification for going after the landlords.
The court action represents an escalation in a months-long, statewide crackdown on medical marijuana by Haag, who said last year that she would try to shut dispensaries that were within 1,000 feet of schools, parks and playgrounds, which Harborside isn't.
Haag issued a statement Wednesday, saying that while taking action against pot shops operating near children had been her first priority, "marijuana superstores such as Harborside" are now on her radar, as well.
"The larger the operation, the greater the likelihood that there will be abuse of the state's medical marijuana laws, and marijuana in the hands of individuals who do not have a demonstrated medical need," she said.
DeAngelo, who was the subject of a Discovery Channel reality TV show called "Weed Wars" last year, vowed to fight the Department of Justice's attempt to put him out of business. Harborside serves about 100,000 medical marijuana users a year and pays $3 million in federal, state and local taxes annually.
"Harborside has nothing to hide or be ashamed of. We will contest the DOJ action openly and in public, and through all legal means at our disposal. We look forward to our day in court, and are confident that justice is on our side" DeAngelo said.
City officials in Oakland, which has reaped about $1 million a year in tax revenue from Harborside, are planning to join DeAngelo on Wednesday at a news conference decrying Haag's action. Earlier this year, federal prosecutors and the Internal Revenue Service raided Oaksterdam University, a medical marijuana trade school in Oakland, and forced its founder to step aside.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Popular-California-pot-shop-targeted-for-closure-3699720.php

Yet another complete waste of taxpayer money. I wonder what Quan and the Oakland City Council are going to have to say about this latest move by Eric Holder.

This is not good at all.

HB.

silver hawaiian

Veteran

You really have to admire these idiots' logic....
Surprised it took them so long frankly...

Their logic is the set of laws under which they operate. Cannabis remains illegal, under all scenarios, per the federal gubm'nt.

By that logic, what they're doing should be entirely anticipated and expected.

That's not to say I agree with or endorse that logic, but for anyone to be shocked and appalled, it's, well, kind of shocking and appalling.

Mia

You misunderstand.
I am specifically referring to the idea that the degree of illegality is a function of the size of the operation.
I could turn around and say the hole in the wall spots are the more likely places to be serving people without recs, etc., not the "superstores" with cameras everywhere.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
I'm surprised we didn't see Federal agents on TV raiding the place

if you provoke them, they will come

A TV show may have made sense to them, but it also cost them in the end, it made them look like a bunch of stoners. Throwing a few severely ill patients in an episode doesn't make up for how, "idiotic" their staff behaves. The one brother is a nutcase

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Yeah, well. It's too bad, but it's all a part of the progression I suppose. Things loosen up, then they tighten up again. It seems to be the way of things.

That tv show didn't do them any favors, I agree. We've seen it time and again...if you tempt the US government, they will find a way to come along and fuck you up.

HB.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
Yeah, well. It's too bad, but it's all a part of the progression I suppose. Things loosen up, then they tighten up again. It seems to be the way of things.

That tv show didn't do them any favors, I agree. We've seen it time and again...if you tempt the US government, they will find a way to come along and fuck you up.

HB.

when you openly state you sold MILLIONS of $ worth of herb on TV, well...........................

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
1321302423-weed-wars-brothers-306x248.jpg

"What do you mean we owe over a million in taxes?!?!"

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I met Steve almost 2-3 year ago....little fuzzy lol......he was ALL about the benjamins....I brought him a potential investor from Carmel Valley, CA who was also all about the benjamins....nothing wrong with that as I am all about the benjamins too. He did say something very prescient, he said (not a direct quote as we were all pretty blazed) in effect "I will fight to the last ounce of my being if they try to shut me down". He was responding to a question from my investor friend......anyway he did kinda put a HUGE flippin target on his back with the TV show.