What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Far red leds (730 nm)?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Hows the far red working out for every one ?

When beginning I used the Far Red with 12/12 to get a control harvest and then added 1/2 hour at a time up to 14/10.

12/12:
The production of spontaneous seeds quit completely with the addition of the Far Red while yield remained unchanged. Yields are based on previous years harvests, this is not a side by side.

12.5/11.5:
Same as 12/12 as far as large effects, yields not obviously larger.

13/11:
Plants relaxed at the end of the day indicating their maximum DLI had been reached. The lights were raised and an extra plant fitted into the larger footprint. Individual plants maintained their yields with the longer time under reduced light. Going from five plants to six caused a 20% increase in total production.

13.5/10.5:
Occasional spontaneous seeds began showing up along with tiny sterile preseeds in the calyxes.

14/10:
The plants became as they were with 12/12 without the far red.
Viable seeds appeared in lower buds and the surface of the solvent solutions were covered with the tiny sterile seed kernels.

The bud room is now on 13/11 as the best compromise. This does away with seeds showing up in buds and allows the larger footprint and extra plant.
I use just under 250 watts of Far Red from 4 foot passive LED bars surrounding the plants high and low. Half the wattage also got results but I had to use care and turn the plants without fail to get full coverage. Overkill is so much easier and 250 watts for an hour per day costs extremely little.

I am putting the leftover Far Red floodlights up over the autoflowers and am going to leave them on all night, same as the sky does 60 degrees north where the plants come from.
Just out of curiosity.

Dion

I am putting the leftover Far Red floodlights up over the autoflowers and am going to leave them on all night, same as the sky does 60 degrees north where the plants come from.
Just out of curiosity.

i look forward to that nugget of info

cheers

Dankwolf

I am 1 week in to my first run at 13.25 on 10.75 off. Far red 680-800 nm bulbs 15 before light out and 15 after light out . if i get pre seeds i was tginking i could run the far red for 15 min before lights out and see if that helps with pre seeds . any one runing far red 15 before light on ? I would like to push to a 14 on 10 off . great info pheaton vary appreciated.

Arf

Growmau5 last grow used additional reds, he says at the 10min mark that he couldn't see the difference.

[YOUTUBEIF]nPqLAjcJ4vY[/YOUTUBEIF]

Dankwolf

Also if your using hps it all ready has alot of far red bulb depending. So i would guess it would have little effect for the majority . also the typ of far red is vary important so i would be interested to know what far red was used . i heared from a vary reliable source that a commercial crew in the pnw has used this far red for years since the early 90s as part of a 10+ flowering step program . there smoke was always a step above the rest . i have yet in 14 years to meet the quality they used to put out so to say the least there is alot for us all to learn . i dont know about the reast of ypu out there but the more i learn the more i dont know . there is life times of knowledge out there . all input can be helpfull . just my 2 cents

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran

Dankwolf

Perfect artical phaeton. That was the one i have read rmany times vary helpfull thank you i had lost the url for it .

saitama

Are there any new developments, findings, etc here? This information may be good for new people who want to try this.

I use Far Red and my plants love it. I have a Far red board that has enough to cover a 2x4 area on my website using 24 SunPlus 20 Far Red 730nm and an extra channel of UVA385nm to use for flower too.

I use Far Red and my plants love it. I have a Far red board that has enough to cover a 2x4 area on my website using 24 SunPlus 20 Far Red 730nm and an extra channel of UVA385nm to use for flower too.

where did you purchase those or are you using the mau5 boards?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The clone and veg tables use Phillips far red 13 watt screw in bulbs, one bulb every four foot square.
The bud room uses Mars Hydro far red passive 4' bars at 50 watts each. One for every twelve square feet.

Any benefits for the clone and veg stages must my small as none have been obvious.
The bud room is a whole 'nother game. Sativa's putting out random seeds afters six weeks used to be a problem, along with the occasional hermi (rare) during summer.
Far red starting fifteen minutes before light change and lasting fifteen minutes after has eliminated all random seeds as well as hermaphrodites caused by light leaks at night.

I tried leaving the far red on all night, if a little is good a lot is better? No, the plants absolutely would not finish. Taller and taller, leafier and leafier, but no mature buds after 18 weeks of growth, both indica and sativa. Expensive lesson.

Last edited:

saitama

The clone and veg tables use Phillips far red 13 watt screw in bulbs, one bulb every four square feet.
The bud room uses Mars Hydro far red passive 4' bars at 50 watts each. One for every twelve square feet.

Any benefits for the clone and veg stages must my small as none have been obvious.
The bud room is a whole 'nother game. Sativa's putting out random seeds afters six weeks used to be a problem, along with the occasional hermi (rare) during summer.
Far red starting fifteen minutes before light change and lasting fifteen minutes after has eliminated all random seeds as well as hermaphrodites caused by light leaks at night.

I tried leaving the far red on all night, if a little is good a lot is better? No, the plants absolutely would not finish. Taller and taller, leafier and leafier, but no mature buds after 18 weeks of growth, both indica and sativa. Expensive lesson.

I also thought that leaving them on all the time might have hurt my yields last time, but this confirms it. I thought supplementing 660nm would help with the Emerson effect so I could leave them on.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
So it does confirm this article, nice https://www.pro-emit.de/sleep-initiation-using-far-red-radiation/
How many Far Red LEDs you would recommend on a squaremeter?

Using 13 watt Philips bulbs, one on each side of a 4' by 4' area is sufficient. The floodlights work at up to five feet away, I use two so both sides of the plant get hit, not because more power is needed.

The larger bud room uses 50 watt Mars Hydro 4' LED bars, two on each side of a 9' by 7' area (5000 watts and five plants).
This is overkill because the lights could not be distanced far enough away for wider coverage.

The Far Red triggers a reaction in the plant, it is not used for photosythesis so the intensity needed is very very low.

The Emerson Effect exists due to long wavelength red (>670 nm), not having the power for photosynthesis. 680 nm breaks the bonds and 725 nm reconnects the pieces.
All higher wavelengths accomplish this task by themselves, and with greater efficiency, rendering the contribution of the Emerson Effect to a tiny percentage.

hello guys how many red lights should i put in a 1,20mx1,20m box?
i cant find any info on which ones to get. i know they got to be 730nm but what power? i will run them with my 3590's

Latest posts

Latest posts