What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

F2's (a discussion)

PlasmaTube

15+ year bump. Great material and information on here as far as F2s and variations go. Maybe there is more info to add given legalization, diverse genetics, and different perspectives on cannabis culture.

Rgd

Veteran
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=634637#post634637

I feel,the creation of F2's creates potential for there to be "better"/more valuable phenos dipalayed in the F2 offspring than the F1 Hybrid used to create thease hypothetical F2's. If the mother or father used in the hybrid is something interesting and is unatainable to me in a pure form i can make F2's, and observe them for a pheno closest to the desired parent. Example If i want Elvis but can not obtain Elvis in a pure form, and the closest i can come is a cross like Lisa marie. Making F'2s from a strain with a desired plant as a parent allows me to grow out the F2's in hopes of fiding something closer resembling the parental pheno i may be in search of.

At least thats how ive come to understand all this genetic stuff, its one of the last topics i chose to tackle and im still in the midst of learning.
yes ,have heard that more than my opinion ..which is :

choose the best of the f1’s or lose what your original intensions were ....

Fuel

So I am only applying that answer to a SWT 1.1 that was not back crossed to SPG since SWT #3 was BC'd to SPG more SPG phenos will most likely occur there.
From 6 parralel lines (unique P1-pairing, each) in F7 of the #3 and some old rounds with the SPG directly, i can tell that the occurrence of clear SPG phenos are not a reliable goal with this specific line. Decades later, i don't even think that the SPG is necessary to rebuild the #3. I finally gave up, too much rounds for a single generation-step.

All of this to say that a F2 (second filial generation) from a BX3 isn't generating the segregation usually experienced with F1s, it's more about the BX dying by touch each generation and about an infernal dance to maintain all the bricks generating the initial reference. By some extend, it can be applied to S1/F2 too, modulo the constraints of the reversal at long term ...

Latest posts

Latest posts