What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experienced Photoperiod grower wants to make AF seed

Abider

Greetings.

Please could someone knowledgeable explain how I make AF seed?

So many confusing threads out there.

I'm used to the standard hand pollination with Photo's, do I do the same with Reg AF plants?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Long thread.

Easiest method-

1. Photo x auto = 25% autos.

2. Back cross those with same auto.....a semi-auto x auto. >25%

3. Cross that generation (step 2) together

4. Then back cross again with auto.

5. Cross those (Step 4) with auto

We back cross w/ auto 3-4x....6 generations to get fully stable auto.

There's more to it if looking for finesse` and best quality traits, but you get the idea. You need larger sample to find the best phenos, male/female. Just to make seeds

Good luck!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The fastest method to reach 100% autoflower.

Photo x Auto = Photo in the F1.

Make F2s using several F1 males & females.
F2s will be 25% auto flowering.

Cross only Autoflowerg types from the F2 to Autoflowering types from the F2 & you will have Full Auto plants exhibiting mixed phenotypes from both parents.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You still need to back cross and auto with F2 for 100% auto characteristics and stability....so we have learned breeding them. F2 x F2 ≠ full auto.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Before I would do any of the above hit points make sure you start with quality genetics.

The more mishmash of genetics you start with the more of an unstable mishmash of an strain you'll end up with.

Get your parents and bloom them out first see what they are.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Before I would do any of the above hit points make sure you start with quality genetics.

The more mishmash of genetics you start with the more of an unstable mishmash of an strain you'll end up with.

Get your parents and bloom them out first see what they are.

Right-o

Bongstar420

Why not just treat your F1 population with silver thiosulfate and cull all males and all females that don't flower under 24hrs of light? Your S1 should be 100% auto if its not a partial dominant trait. I suspect partial autoing to not be the same trait as full auto under 24hrs of light.

Also, shouldn't any two fully automatic plants produce 100% fully automatic offspring?

Because, really, I discovered autoflowering plants by inbreeding normal flowering plants.

Long thread.

Easiest method-

1. Photo x auto = 25% autos.

2. Back cross those with same auto.....a semi-auto x auto. >25%

3. Cross that generation (step 2) together

4. Then back cross again with auto.

5. Cross those (Step 4) with auto

We back cross w/ auto 3-4x....6 generations to get fully stable auto.

There's more to it if looking for finesse` and best quality traits, but you get the idea. You need larger sample to find the best phenos, male/female. Just to make seeds

Good luck!

corky1968

Veteran
Why not just treat your F1 population with silver thiosulfate and cull all males and all females that don't flower under 24hrs of light? Your S1 should be 100% auto if its not a partial dominant trait. I suspect partial autoing to not be the same trait as full auto under 24hrs of light.

Also, shouldn't any two fully automatic plants produce 100% fully automatic offspring?

Because, really, I discovered autoflowering plants by inbreeding normal flowering plants.

Wouldn't plants that flower under 24 hours be bad? Like wouldn't they flower the second they pop their
head above ground and most likely only grow a few inches tall? I haven't grown an auto yet. But I think
a plant that flowers with anything less than 18 hours of light is sufficient. A person could vegetate them
with 20 hours of light to build some size to them and once they are placed outdoors they would immediately
start flowering.

I'll probably try out 20 auto seeds outdoors next year to see what the craze is about. :tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't exactly call autos a "craze" but they do fill a few nitches...
high latts for example typically have a very limited season as well as loooong days in the summer.
Some folks want to have their OD crop in by the end of August, no questions asked. Autos fit the bill when most photo strains would be just starting to mid flower.

Try em out. I think you may enjoy watchin their rapud development.

Oh yeah... I've seen them range in size from barely being able to roll a J with an entire plant to pushing an elbow.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

We don't use chemicals in our breeding process. To each their own.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Wouldn't plants that flower under 24 hours be bad? Like wouldn't they flower the second they pop their
head above ground and most likely only grow a few inches tall? I haven't grown an auto yet. But I think
a plant that flowers with anything less than 18 hours of light is sufficient. A person could vegetate them
with 20 hours of light to build some size to them and once they are placed outdoors they would immediately
start flowering.

I'll probably try out 20 auto seeds outdoors next year to see what the craze is about. :tiphat:

Auto's flower according to their age(generally speaking). They veg for 2-3 weeks in my experience, and then flower. Regardless of the light cycle. The more hours of light they get, the better they do(excluding all other factors) .

The other type plant your speaking of would be a semi-auto. Which i am going to try and make seeds of this winter. They flower at 18 hrs. or less of light per day. So vegging them at 20 hours of light, until they get big, and then putting outside to flower, is a way to grow "auto's" that yield like a regular photoperiod cultivar.

Here's some semi-auto's. These are what i wanna make.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7580519&postcount=5830

Latest posts

Latest posts