What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exhale C02 Bags. An Honest Review

talktosamson

Veteran
So...which is cheaper? CO2 from tanks...or from bags?

Depends on size of room but with tanks, lines, regulators, C02...and so on, I have to believe that unless you have a pretty damn big room that bags would be cheaper. I have a friend who has a 4k room of decent size and he has 4-6 hanging in there, total cost on those bags were $120 bucks, that's super cheep for the result you get from C02.

A caution though, Your room has to be sealed pretty well for these to work, that's why it works in my tent works so well. If you had a basement with vents, cracks and and windows and stuff it might escape before it can become effective. So far for what ive read and those I talk to these work best for tent, closet grows or as I said above really well sealed and controlled rooms.

G

Guest 88950

so is your water/feed automated or is it no prob to open the tent to feed daily?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
How different is this from doing something like putting yeast in a 2 liter bottle of sugar water?

Yeast and sugar and water is so cheap it might as well be free.

(Not that I employ this method, either.)

Anybody got pics of this thing? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

EDIT: I checked their site... no pictures... only vague descriptions. Can i see pictures of the OP's?

talktosamson

Veteran
so is your water/feed automated or is it no prob to open the tent to feed daily?

Nope, I open the tent at least once a day to check on things and to water.

How different is this from doing something like putting yeast in a 2 liter bottle of sugar water?

Yeast and sugar and water is so cheap it might as well be free.

(Not that I employ this method, either.)

Anybody got pics of this thing? I'm having a hard time picturing it.

EDIT: I checked their site... no pictures... only vague descriptions. Can i see pictures of the OP's?

I dont know about the bottle and sugar water C02 method. Im sure these bags can be home made but they are so inexpensive I figure why try and make my own? Lights are off right now, Ill throw up a picture when they come back on tonight.

Do they have any smell at all?
Nope, no smell at all. They swell if the temps get above around 85 degrees, which is rare in my room.

medicalmj

Veteran
Hello IC land. I wanted to throw up here some honest results from a product I have seen many times but finally tried during my last indoor grow. The Exhale C02 Bag. Its pretty much a clear plastic bag filled with mushroom compost or some sort of compost. It has vents in the top and is supposed to deliver a shower of c02 to a 4x4 area for 90 days. I have been an indoor grow for years and for whatever reason I have never tried any sort of c02, just seems to complicated/dangerous for my taste.

This is what my setup looks like
4x4 Secret Jarden Mylar Grow tent
XXL 8 inch Hood air cooled with 6" fan
1000 HPS Hortilux Bulb
6 15 gallon Pots full of FFOF

I run mostly the same hybrid strains with a few variations. My problem had always been quantity and not quality. Out of that tent I usually average 2- 2.5 ounces of decent nugs per plant with a fair amount of fluff on the bottoms. This run it was 2 Grandoggys, 2 Blue City Diesels, and 2 Jack Herrer.

This time around I did everything the same, the only variation was the C02 bag. I hung it with a clip from one of my tent rafters in the corner of the room near my clip on fan and it only took 2 short weeks to start seeing results. In the early stages of flowering my plants were all big and green, I noticed the leaves pointing drastically upward and short node spacing as well. The C02 did not effect flowering time at all but the quality and and quantity got much better. My 6 plants yielded over 20 ounces of rock hard nugs with very little fluff.

I think we can all agree there is a lot of snake oil/kool aid sold by shop owners around the country. We have all fallen for one or two at times in our growing careers. This product is totally not one of them and will be a part of my growing regiment for years to come. Its cheep, effective during both stages of growth and provided results the first time. In my bigger rooms I have put 3-4 bags and seen great results using them over a bigger area. Since C02 is heaver that 02 is falls down, just use some fans to spread it around.

Happy Harvests!!!

Bump...Glad to hear they work. Going to buy 4 on Monday!

supermanlives

Veteran
bottled co2 summer ,nat gas winter or propane.i need a new tank mine is way old. they will only fill it like 3/4. its old and purple lol which is why stoned i even considered bags.^^^^^good question

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
I googled it and from some threads on other sites ppl said it worked and others claim no increase in ppm of co2 using syringe test and controllers. I would be interested in knowing the truth as well...if they work i'd be buying a cpl for next grow. Good vibez

talktosamson

Veteran
Ive been using them for years, they work killer in small spaces. If I run my tent with no C02 bag I get 16 ounces, with the bag between 20-22 ounces. Same strains, same soil, new bulb every time. Bag is the only variable.

NorCalZero

I used 1 in a 6x3x10ft room for a full run this time and I definitely think it increased yield but it was my first run with that strain, and I run around 82 degrees so I use co2 and silica to reduce or eliminate any heat stress, yield is just a bonus. I pulled it for the last week of flowering and put it over my clones that were getting ready for transplant. For the price I think it is well worth it. I looked for a way to test co2 for under $100 and couldn't find anything, so if anyone knows something I will gladly test.

señorsloth

Veteran
id try it, but i'm pretty sure i have too much airflow...36 cubic foot cab and 190cfm fan...are you sure the growth was caused by the bag? i would think most non-sealed grows exhaust the total volume of the grow several times a minute...im no expert but it doesn't seem like a light co2 discharge would be able to linger at all in a non sealed room...i mean even a full blown co2 system wouldn't really work well in a non-sealed grow wouldn't it? i just don't see how a small bag of mushroom mold will produce even as much co2 as one of those little canisters for bb guns...and those things wont do much of anything in a non sealed grow...

are you sure it's not placebo? you expect a change so if a change happens you assume it was the bag...kinda thing?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the review, id idnt find any advantage to these in my ROOM, bt in a closet or micro grow i think they could kill it, i cant imagine how many of those bags per run on a 6 or 10 lighter it would take, like 30 to 50 bags, or more, and even then u may not b @ 1200 ppm also cant turn them off at night....

medicalmj

Veteran
id try it, but i'm pretty sure i have too much airflow...36 cubic foot cab and 190cfm fan...are you sure the growth was caused by the bag? i would think most non-sealed grows exhaust the total volume of the grow several times a minute...im no expert but it doesn't seem like a light co2 discharge would be able to linger at all in a non sealed room...i mean even a full blown co2 system wouldn't really work well in a non-sealed grow wouldn't it? i just don't see how a small bag of mushroom mold will produce even as much co2 as one of those little canisters for bb guns...and those things wont do much of anything in a non sealed grow...

are you sure it's not placebo? you expect a change so if a change happens you assume it was the bag...kinda thing?

I am going to put the bags inside a container and a duct will force air through it. Then another duct, or tube, will be attached to the otherside and will then be ran down the middle of my buckets. The duct/tube will have holes at the top so that the air is directed to the undersides of the leaves. The end of the duct run will be sealed. I will have a 440 cfm in line appying the forced air pressure. So all the co2 released from the bags of mycellium will be forced up and through the bottom of the plant to the top of the plant. This way I can leave the exhaust fan on w/o comprimising my plants ability to use the co2.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A gallon demijohn of fermenting wine will produce more CO2 than the bag , in a small space through a tube from the airlock , at a much lower cost , and six bottles of drinkable wine.

The bags are just a modern twist on the old idea of wetting scrap straw bales with mollasses under the greenhouse benches for tomatoes.

The wine converts two pounds of sugar into a relatively small amount of CO2 in eight weeks, the bag will contain woody material and sugars to function in a similar short time frame.

In both cases it is the presence of high ethylene levels from yeast fermentation that has a noticeable effect on growth pattern , more than the slightly increased CO2.

medicalmj

Veteran
A gallon demijohn of fermenting wine will produce more CO2 than the bag , in a small space through a tube from the airlock , at a much lower cost , and six bottles of drinkable wine.

The bags are just a modern twist on the old idea of wetting scrap straw bales with mollasses under the greenhouse benches for tomatoes.

The wine converts two pounds of sugar into a relatively small amount of CO2 in eight weeks, the bag will contain woody material and sugars to function in a similar short time frame.

In both cases it is the presence of high ethylene levels from yeast fermentation that has a noticeable effect on growth pattern , more than the slightly increased CO2.

Well in that case I should pipe the out gasing of my carboys of fermenting beer into the room. Means I'll have brew more often, damn I gonna be drunk and stoned all the time, LMOA!

Seriously tho, wish I had a CO2 meter to get this question resolved.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
They sell syringe kits for testing the co2. Levels. Cost bout 40 dollars I think.