What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EVERYONE READ THIS!!...BC Recreational Use Regulations

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I want to see that in writing!

It doesn't even have to be medical. If you sign a lease that specifies No Pets, and you get a dog, the landlord can't do anything. They can't boot you out or tell you to get rid of it. He can try to boot you, but only try. No rent board or tribunal in the country will rule against a tenant for that. My brother is a lawyer and a landlord. He was dealing with that last weekend with a new tenant (new dog).

Same thing for smoking weed cigarettes or growing it.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It doesn't even have to be medical. If you sign a lease that specifies No Pets, and you get a dog, the landlord can't do anything. They can't boot you out or tell you to get rid of it. He can try to boot you, but only try. No rent board or tribunal in the country will rule against a tenant for that. My brother is a lawyer and a landlord. He was dealing with that last weekend with a new tenant (new dog).

Same thing for smoking weed cigarettes or growing it.
I personally think you have been smoking too much! Your lease is a TOS. You don't agree! Rent from someone else!! BC/California same thing :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I personally think you have been smoking too much! Your lease is a TOS. You don't agree! Rent from someone else!! BC/California same thing :tiphat:

Dude. Maybe you need to smoke more. :)

Your lease is a contract not a TOS. Still, take it or leave it and it's no skin off my ass. But all you have to do is say "I don't agree" and it's done.

Rider420

So let me get this straight... ALL recreational cannabis in Canada is going to be provided by the govt??

Govt supplied anything has historically been awful to downright criminal. There will be tons of money to be made selling information and equipment to people who want to grow 'acceptable' quality cannabis.

No cannabis in Canada is made by private industry just like booze and like booze its distributed by the government. Or you can grow your own.

Rider420

If you violate a contract it you can be evicted lol to say otherwise is....

Since the clause was added after the contract was signed and is being disputed in the courts, landlords can not evicte anyone until all the court cases are resolved.

Buddha1

Veteran
Since the clause was added after the contract was signed and is being disputed in the courts, landlords can not evicte anyone until all the court cases are resolved.

Wow...talk about going in circles. Tell a millennial "NO" and watch them have a freaken melt down...unbelievable..."That's not fair, that's not fair"... Hahaha!

:laughing:

You people keep talking about court and striking down the law...well court and lawyers are very expensive and if you lose, you pay all court costs too...because laws are changed in "Supreme Court" not "Civil or Small Claims" court.
Wouldn't it make more sense to save your money and buy a house/property and grow your 4 plants...instead of wasting good money on court to change a law for people who would not even care.

Bottom line... Most people will get away with Smoking and Vaping in there rental.

But if you grow, because of past history...you're out..might take a while with huge amounts of hassel and unnessary stress in your personal life...but, in the end, your out.
Pretty hard to hide or dispute the evidence against you... lol.

Peace...B

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
*SNIP
Bottom line... Most people will get away with Smoking and Vaping in there rental.
But if you grow, because of past history...you're out. Pretty hard to hide the evidence against you... lol.

Peace...B
That there is the answer. My wife can stand the smell of combusted weed but claims she can't smell my vape, or very faint at best. :tiphat:

A new day, a new way!

Gmack

Well you can't amend a contract without both party's agreeing to the changes. That's why we have contracts.

Easy7

Veteran
I don't know about Canada but a US landlord cannot be forced to violate federal law. If it's in the lease no growing, then it's a contract, no growing. I never read any law in any US state that says a landlord must permit medical growing or smoking.

Rider420

I don't know about Canada but a US landlord cannot be forced to violate federal law. If it's in the lease no growing, then it's a contract, no growing. I never read any law in any US state that says a landlord must permit medical growing or smoking.

In Canada as of oct 17 the federal law is anyone can grow four cannabis plants in their home regardless of whether you rent or own. Bill C-45 https://lop.parl.ca/Content/LOP/LegislativeSummaries/42/1/c45-e.pdf

Some Provinces have passed laws contrary to the Federal system like denying everyone the right to grow in Manitoba and Quebec as well as not allowing smoking or growing in apartments. But under Canadian laws
Paramountcy (Canada) In Canadian constitutional law, the doctrine of paramountcy establishes that where there is a conflict between valid provincial and federal laws, the federal law will prevail and the provincial law will be inoperative to the extent that it conflicts with the federal law.
Paramountcy (Canada) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramountcy_(Canada)

Have a nice day and hope you are as high as I. :tiphat:

Buddha1

Veteran
I'm going to piss everyone off and probably kill this thread, by adapting the new attitude that 9/10 people in this world now have.

I don't care...it doesn't effect me directly, I own my own house and can grow, smoke and vap, in any room I choose... so I simply just don't care.

Peace...B.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
In Canada as of oct 17 the federal law is anyone can grow four cannabis plants in their home regardless of whether you rent or own. Bill C-45 https://lop.parl.ca/Content/LOP/LegislativeSummaries/42/1/c45-e.pdf

Some Provinces have passed laws contrary to the Federal system like denying everyone the right to grow in Manitoba and Quebec as well as not allowing smoking or growing in apartments. But under Canadian laws

Have a nice day and hope you are as high as I. :tiphat:
Please quote the appropriate article/section.:tiphat:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to piss everyone off and probably kill this thread, by adapting the new attitude that 9/10 people in this world now have.

I don't care...it doesn't effect me directly, I own my own house and can grow, smoke and vap, in any room I choose... so I simply just don't care.

Peace...B.

Lmao now do the pro legalization folk.

fatigues

Veteran
Please quote the appropriate article/section.:tiphat:

It is not a rule/section, it is a matter of constitutional interpretation in accordance with longstanding caselaw. It first arose in another prohibition context (alcohol, of course) in 1896. Ontario AG v. Canada AG, otherwise known as the Prohibition Case, was decided by the Privy Council (it was at that time, Canada's highest court).

https://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKPC/1896/1896_20.html

Short strokes:
It is beyond provincial power to ban alcohol outright, though they can regulate its sale and even ban the sale of it (but not its possession or mere manufacture). It is not beyond the power of Parliament to ban possession of alcohol outright or its manufacture under the criminal power, but the extensive regulation of commerce within a particular province is the jurisdiction of the provinces, not the federal government.

Sound familiar? The current cannabis issue reaches the very heart of the same issue decided in 1896 in one baby step. It's on all fours.

Paramountcy: Where there is a conflict between the two, the Federal statute prevails.

Moreover, it is more than that, as unlike the sale of alcohol, the regulation of conduct within a private residence is the sine qua non of the criminal power. Given that Parliament has acted (and continues to act in relation to cannabis under the CDSA) it's beyond provincial jurisdiction to ban the home growing of it outright. What a person does in the privacy of their own residence is not the business of the state other than through the criminal law (though it might be the business of your landlord; however, the law of landlord and tenant is not constitutional law). And the criminal law in Canada is reserved exclusively to the federal government under the constitution. (There are minor provincial offences, but they may not conflict with the criminal power of Parliament. And Parliament made growing 4 plants an exception to the existing criminal law. So the feds have occupied the field.

And that will be that.

Anyways, the presumption of Quebec and Manitoba to ban homegrowing outright will die a fiery death on first contact with a Superior court - and the provinces know it.

So why are they doing it anyways? Because that way it is Trudeau's fault. Simply put: they don't care. The prohibitionists will not go down without a fight.

Depending on the poll you read, Quebec is either only just in favour of legalization or is slightly against it. When it comes to likely voters, they remain opposed as the demographics are clear that support/opposition is disproportionate among the young/older voter (and younger voters often cannot be bothered to vote). Plus, it is never a loss in Quebec to have its legislation overturned by the "bully" federal government, because Quebec.

In Manitoba, it's purely ideological opposition from the PC party in power there. The majority of the people of Manitoba support legalization (and home growing). The PCs in Manitoba don't care. Since when has public opposition ever stopped a Tory in Canada on its own?

Rider420

Peace...B.

I own my own house as well and its really sad you have no empathy for your fellow man.

BTW its easy to blame others for your own actions, just because you don't care does not mean others don't.

I'm kind of shocked at how many cannabis growers are angry old men. :violin: Poetic justice or instant karma take your pick either is right. :biggrin:

Have a nice day hope your as high as I.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts