What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ever heard of clone seeds?

TLoft13

Emphasis on the word "future".

The article linked to even says right at the start that it is still a long way off...
In other businesses this is the past. Most fruits, berrys, ornamental flowers you buy come out of tissue culture factories, buy the 10.000s. I predicted this years ago, the pros are so big. Think about it, you can produce a perfect, sterile "cutting", it doesn't take more space than a pill or a matchbox if you don't go the petri-dish route. You may be able to produce it in a country like Austria where vegetating plants are A-OK. And it can be shipped anywhere in the world- in a small envelope- anywhere.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Then I'm sure you realize the difference between this concept and tissue culturing as it has long been practiced....

Antoine Mack

cannasseur extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greenhouse colored seed is completely different than the artificial seed. You need to read more. Peace GS
first of all, i didn´t say, that coated seeds are the same as "cloned seeds",
like you try to suggest here. i just pointed out, that this technique is nothing
new, like the coated/colored seeds from ghs weren´t. so no kudos to dutch passion
and none to ghs for inventing something new, cos they just adapted/copied already
existing techniques, of which both been used in the commercial agriculture for a
relatively long time now (especially the coated seeds).

and, if you really wanna know, i´ve red about somatic embryogenesis, for the first time,
something like ten years ago, during my job training ;).
i know what it is and how it´s done. in my estimation, that´s
enough.
greets
:smokey:

Cool. Would the phenotype variability really be significantly less than a self pollinated plant with stabilized traits? I suppose it depends on how economical they become and on what scale the farm is producing. If germinated in a shotglass will they start to swim around like little tadpoles? I MIGHT BE WILLING TO PAY EXTRA FOR THAT!

Green Supreme

Veteran
I would bet DP won't be selling parent stock in this form.

ShroomDr seed is already illegal and sold in many places, why would you feel it would not work for this product? Peace GS

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
Cool. Would the phenotype variability really be significantly less than a self pollinated plant with stabilized traits? I suppose it depends on how economical they become and on what scale the farm is producing. If germinated in a shotglass will they start to swim around like little tadpoles? I MIGHT BE WILLING TO PAY EXTRA FOR THAT!

there would be no phenotype variability. it would literally just be a clone in a false shell..

TLoft13

Then I'm sure you realize the difference between this concept and tissue culturing as it has long been practiced....
Read two lines and thought "tissue culture in a hull". Will read again.
Edit: Interesting, but to tell the truth i don't see much difference to a proper tissueculture(for the consumer). Maybe more efficiency if it works out. What's your take on it?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
ShroomDr seed is already illegal and sold in many places, why would you feel it would not work for this product? Peace GS

because the feds dont consider actual seeds plants.

Seeds are not actively growing.

i keep my plant number under 100.

How many millions of plants are in this picture?
tissue2.jpg

If your going to put your ass on the line, are you going to do it growing 100's of monster plants, or selling a million little ones? (or moving bolivan marching powder).

You could hold enough 'plants' in one hand to put you in the federal pen. Youre not going to make enough money selling TC's to justify the hell fire and brimstone that would come down on you. You would rather deal with coked up Bolivians.

i dont. What is the difference, and how an average person transfer these seeds to a 'normal' substrate?

L

LuckyPunch

Hey ya !
i didnt read the whole thread but my 2 cents are :

great to get a wonderfull selected plant in seed form

but i loved ,when i bought a pack of seeds, to get many phenos of a plant.

imo cannabis is like alcohol ..some like vodka ,zhe other one absinth and some beer.

GrowbagUK

If they use plant tissue with under 1% THC then it would be classified as hemp? Also, no roots means it can't be classified as a plant...just vegetative matter.
My worries would be germination time and germination success. I don't think it's going to end the seed business but better access to proven strains might up the standards.

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
If they use plant tissue with under 1% THC then it would be classified as hemp? Also, no roots means it can't be classified as a plant...just vegetative matter.
I don't think it's going to end the seed business but better access to proven strains might up the standards.

Great points, how can it be a plant if it does not have roots. Could the classify it as drugs? Does it have enough THC and enough weight to add up to anything illegal?

I think it will put the seed business on it's head. :)

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Read two lines and thought "tissue culture in a hull". Will read again.
Edit: Interesting, but to tell the truth i don't see much difference to a proper tissueculture(for the consumer). Maybe more efficiency if it works out. What's your take on it?

I don't think you can take a regular tissue culture, like in a dish, stick it in a jar on the shelf, and come back in a couple of months and revive it.

If these things can sit in suspended animation for while like an actual seed, then I think that is something not being done yet.

avant gardener

Veteran
while this technology is novel and interesting, i'm definitely skeptical of it. this sort of monoculture would certainly bad for the species. read michael pollan's book called the botany of desire for more on this.

it's one thing to employ technology that is cost prohibitive to most of us, but it's another thing altogether if we allow ourselves to become DEPENDENT upon that technology. tissue culture is great. now i don't know about you, but i can't afford a laminar hood, much less begin to think about creating a sterile field in my workspace. and that's just for the old technique that's been used to prop orchids and violets for decades. i'm sure that packing them into flasks the size of a bb requires another million or two of up-front capital.

this sort of thing takes a cottage industry that just about anyone with a little patience and a modest investment can use to earn a decent living and puts it a little bit further out of reach. next thing we know, the cannabis genome is the intellectual property of some multinational biotech outfit and we're all paying royalties for roundup resistant indica or having to buy new genetics every three months because we have accepted stock that can't be propagated by the usual methods.

keep inching closer to a canna-biz controlled by pfizer and monsanto. if you need me, i'll be the guy cataloging all the old genes for the day when you can't find them anymore.

L

LuckyPunch

i like the funny figure @ dtuch passion page who is saying :§we are looking at it but cant give you any time timescales YET

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
In one season I can make more genetics than me and everyone I know could explore in our lifetimes. And that's just one person in his backyard.

So to people that worry about the implications of this technology: cannabis seeds and genetic diversity are here to stay!

Latest posts

Latest posts