What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ever heard of clone seeds?

G

guest59452

if this technology does become widely available we can expect average THC %'s go way up

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
If prices got low enough...and they could be propagated easily enough...I would totally say fuck off to cloning and just get a bunch of these clone seeds. This could def. be the beginning of the end of the seed business as we know it.

TPM

I just hope the real seed biz never completely dies... bc I love looking through true male female seed stock and observing diff phenos.... Lucky I have a HUGE seed collection... anyway for propagation this is defntly the future and it is very neat technology... artificial seeds... who would have thought?? LOL... I have been interested in all tissue culture related ideas and concepts for while now bc they have a spot in the future of cannabis cultivation no doubt...

O

OneTokeOver

I would pay hundreds if not thousands for "clone seeds" of a desired plant.

Oh yeah.. Imagine the ease of transporting elite clones and the possibilities of allowing access to elites all over the world... mother plants will be gone... the ease of storing genetics and the time and space saved in grow rooms from eliminating mother rooms and cloning areas...pretty wild really... but it till be some time before this is wide spread.. even after it hits it will be a while before it completely catches on and takes over the propagation market...

serious6

i transfer elite clones now; mind you that they are rooted cuttings and ALL have reached destination safely and growable.

this new technology would be smaller but an x-ray machine is still an x-ray machine. i never do air delivery.

growhi

its a good idea but not the end of the seed business , all this will do is give people anywhere access to clone only plants , if anything this will be like a myth buster , were anyone can try the actual clone and judge for them self how good it is , plus and hype surrounding the 'elites ' will be at a minimum because everyone can try it , but to get new fresh strains and tastes still gunna have to breed , but one thing im sure of , the first company to successfully produce and market 'seed clones' will become very famous ,and very very wealthy

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
is it not just a tissue culture?

hundreds of plants in the palm of your hand. Anslinger would be thrilled.

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
The technology is there for the cannabis breeder to use. The challenge is working within the legal constraints of the country or state.

I can see where US states that allow clone trading for medical purposes would allow this.

Not sure how Canada or the UK would view this? How is plant material defined? And could that definition be modified to allow for the sale of these seed clones.?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
These 'seeds' will be considered plants. So any vendor would essentially be risking 20 to life in the Federal Pen.

I wouldnt hold my breath, no way this comes before fed re-scheduling.

Easier ways to make money vs. the risk. CAPITALISM!

---
Anyone know how you transfer these particular 'seeds' to a substrate? Seems 'home' users would still need agar, etc.

Some of us cultivated mushes before Mj.... (not that you need to go agar, flowhood, etc, for a few batches of cubes).

-

F

Funion

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The clone seed will be an exact replica of the donor plant. But half the fun for a majority of hobbiests is the pheno selection.
Yes, I do want to see what DJ Shorts selection of Blueberry is all about, yes I do want an excellent representation of Bubblegum etc.
But I don't want my choices limited by the ripple effect clone seeds would have over time.
I see this as a good thing, but I keep looking to the Lorax as a probable moral. Or Monsanto if that seems a bit to dramatic.

Latest posts

Latest posts