What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ethylene glycol and reversing cannabis

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
can I spray a e.g solution on my plants to reverse them? from my little bit of research by reading im guessing yes.. ?:tiphat:

(also, im guessing this is a non toxic method)

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Are you sure about that 'ethylene glycol' (aka antifreeze)?
A while ago, I have read (not word by word though) the link by EB but can't remember seeing that chemical being mentioned.
I wouldn't use it on plants being consumed afterwards or in/on soil used later for growing 'consumables'.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
im pretty sure that I read a pdf about e.g being used to ripen fruit, in solution with water, applied as spray. But cant seem to find it since last night, im a stoner not a scientist and probably got confused.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
^^^Yeah total mind fuck on my part, I was smoking n reading got excited n started a thread. Thanks for all the input.

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Why not? They put propylene glycol alginate in tarter sauce these days.

(That was a poor attempt at sarcasm)

Glad you found the right information. :)

Keep it Clean! :D

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Naw, I wouldn't eat it neither but in creams, lotions and alike it feels great (good moisturiser) and is of no real health concern.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
ripening bananas? could it be that simple?

silver colloid is pretty simple...

but that's another thread.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
From what I know, bananas are often ripened with ethylene gas (principally, the transport containers are flooded with it). Same to make orchids bloom at the same time ;) .

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Folks

A friend of mine reversed a male with a jar of rotting fruit .
Placed it under the plant and let the ethylene from the decomposition reverse the sex .

Where I come from placing a banana into a paper bag with a piece of unrippened fruit in the dark is used to speed up ripening . The ripening banana gives off ethylene and triggers the other fruit to ripen .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

shaggyballs

Veteran
I agree EB.
My limited knowledge tells me that plants that produce ethylene ramp up endogenous ethylene when exposed to Exogenous ethylene.

I am also under the impression ethylene is used many ways in the plant,including roots.

ahortator

Veteran
G`day Folks

A friend of mine reversed a male with a jar of rotting fruit .
Placed it under the plant and let the ethylene from the decomposition reverse the sex .

Where I come from placing a banana into a paper bag with a piece of unrippened fruit in the dark is used to speed up ripening . The ripening banana gives off ethylene and triggers the other fruit to ripen .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hi Elmer :tiphat:

Recently I have been successful reversing a Mango Zamal male, hanging two bananas beside the top of the plant and covering the bananas and the plant top with a transparent plastic bag with the opening down. I replaced the bananas when they become too ripe (and I ate them :biggrin: ) and I removed the plastic bag every night, to avoid mold problmes, because it turns too wet.

I am currently collecting the seeds.

At first I thought that I would get only 1/4 femles from that seeds. But I have read that Nevil tried to get the YY supermales but they don´t make seeds. So the actual rate would be 2/3 males (XY) and 1/3 females (XX).

Originally Posted by Nevil View Post
Yep, done that. I selfed the HazeC male. Theoretically their should be 25% YY. I was looking for them.
I got about 33% females and 66% males, no intersex. I progeny tested maybe 20 males, All produced normal male to female ratio's and no intersex. The seeds had normal viability, so I guessed that YY would block seed growing in the first place.

None of the HzC male selfed, came close to being as good as HzC for breeding.
N.

I think it could be useful if someone has some Jurassic Old School pure sativa killer landrace beans in the freezer and only one or two seeds sprout and they become males.

In that case a male is more valuable than a female. Because from a single male you can get the two sexes. But from a female you will only get more females (with some exceptions, but most likely they are not true males).

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=257082

It is not the ideal solution to preserve a valuable strain due to the inbreeding problem. But not all is lost, if you don't get at least a male and a female to make seeds.

Best regards.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Ah .

Well suck me dry and call me Dusty !
Stoked to hear the tech worked for you . Bananas in a bag eh !?

re the reversed Haze . Yes I saw a Seed Bank catalogue with them in it .

I had the chance to sample some of the old C5 in Holland . She`s still going strong.

I grew some crosses made from her last summer . Testing some C5 x La Nina X Hash Plant Hz x La Nina . ATM .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

ahortator

Veteran
Hi Elmer G' day

Yes, it worked!

I had already begun and I found your comment.

Nice to know that line is still alive.

The experiment was something like this :biggrin:

reversion_sesuarl.jpg

The transparent plastic bag hung like a bell and the bananas as the clapper.

Some branches changed the sex and other didn't, so it is not 100% efective.

I must test with other males and other strains. I have had bad luck finding males.

But I've got about 50 seeds and about other 50 are still ripening on the plant. Not bad for a single male!

It is a bit strange strain because this male started flowering outdoors when the days were becoming the longest and the nights the shortest. I have read that some zamals are autoflowering.

Now I must choose the plants that most resemble the pure Zamal mangue-carotte between the progeny and made seeds again. But this time without bananas. By the pollen chucking traditional method :biggrin:

Best regards.