What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

epsoma bio tone and other products

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Hey curious i just picked up some Espoma Garden Lime. Anyone use it an like it. roughly how much is a good amount. Sorry to jump off topic. And for the broad question.

foescan

I have been using Espoma brand products for years. I like the prices and quality of their products. I have used their Greensand, Epsom Plus, Rock Phosphate, Gypsum, and others. I also like the "Down to Earth" brand products as well.

Likewise. Plant-Tone was my favorite bagged fert until Bio-Tone came out. I also use Espoma:

-Greensand
-Kelp Meal
-Bone and Blood Meal
-Rock Phosphate
-Epsom Plus (rarely, maybe a pinch once or twice during flower if needed)

I don't like their lime since it's pelletized, but the rest of their organic line is a great value and widely available.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Shit I knew it didn't feel right the Lime. It did feel a little chunky. I might have to use a mortar and pellet to crush up. Or coffe grinder. If I use it just like it is. It won't sit right in the soil I assume like the soil will have hot spots of lime in it correct? Instead of a good smooth even amount throughtout the mix. If anyone has any opinions or input on the

Espoma Garden Lime

Please feel free!! Well if it's ok with the thread op

mad librettist

Veteran
No do not crush it. It will spread better than powdered.

That is why they make pellets in the first place, for easier spreading.

The lime is carried by clay. A teaspoon of powder lime contains more lime, while the pellets contain more space. Less lime per given space is by definition more spread out.

I bought a 50 pound bag of course ground dolomitic lawn and garden lime for only $5 at my local garden center 3 years ago. I have used it indoors and outdoors on all my veggies and cannabis ever since and still have enough for this summer. All for $5. I also use crushed oyster shell, and small amounts of fine ground dolomitic lime.

Also some feel that areas of higher and lower ph are good because bacteria prefer a higher ph than the beneficial fungi. I do not shoot for a perfectly blended soil for my potted plants.

mad librettist

Veteran
Areas of high and low pH like you speak of don't need to be manufactured. Bacteria and fungi will do it. You are mainly providing Ca and Mg. And doing it as evenly as possible is a good idea.

I use powdered. But if I pay for pellets I am going to take the benefits along with the drawback (cost).

T

treefrog

The Espoma 'Garden lime" dissolves quickly after wetting and does exactly what dolomite is supposed to.

Shit I knew it didn't feel right the Lime. It did feel a little chunky. I might have to use a mortar and pellet to crush up. Or coffe grinder. If I use it just like it is. It won't sit right in the soil I assume like the soil will have hot spots of lime in it correct? Instead of a good smooth even amount throughtout the mix. If anyone has any opinions or input on the

Espoma Garden Lime

Please feel free!! Well if it's ok with the thread op

Nothing wrong with their garden lime. I've used it with great results. Don't bother wasting your time trying to crush it.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Nothing wrong with their garden lime. I've used it with great results. Don't bother wasting your time trying to crush it.

Yeah I didn't even bother too it disolves in well in water so not a problem. Can I use a little as top dress if I have to. What would be a sufficient amount in that particular case let's use 1 gal pot for example purposes so it's easier. Any tips recommendations at all?

Yeah I didn't even bother too it disolves in well in water so not a problem. Can I use a little as top dress if I have to. What would be a sufficient amount in that particular case let's use 1 gal pot for example purposes so it's easier. Any tips recommendations at all?

The first time I used it I was following LC's mix and couldn't find pulverized or powdered dolomite lime localy (I did see it at my local menards the other day for just under 3 bucks a 50lb bag. I bought 2 so I'm set for a while). I had ph drop problems that first time. The next few times I increased the amount of lime I used. Ended up doubling the amount the recipe called for and had no problems. I guess the pelletized lime uses clay to suspend the lime in pellet form so it isn't pure lime and that's why you have to use more. I'm now using pulverized lime from wormsway that comes in 50lb bags. Not because I think its any better, but because it ends up being cheaper in the long run. When I did have problems with ph dropping when I first used it I got better results adding very small amounts of hydrated lime to a gallon of water and then applying that than I did top dressing with the espoma garden lime. The hydrated lime is faster acting but you have to be very careful with it because it can take your ph way up. I got the best results adjusting the ph slowly over a few waterings with very small amounts of the hydrated lime verses adding 1 Tbs to a gallon and trying to correct with one watering of lime. Just my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt. I am far from an expert. Hope it helps.

T

treefrog

Yeah, if you can get a good powdered dolomite, then buy that fo' sheezy, but the Espoma lime does work and seems to be the most available in people's local markets.
Some plants will require additional Magnesium, especially if you're using rain water.
It's just the nature of the beast.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
The first time I used it I was following LC's mix and couldn't find pulverized or powdered dolomite lime localy (I did see it at my local menards the other day for just under 3 bucks a 50lb bag. I bought 2 so I'm set for a while). I had ph drop problems that first time. The next few times I increased the amount of lime I used. Ended up doubling the amount the recipe called for and had no problems. I guess the pelletized lime uses clay to suspend the lime in pellet form so it isn't pure lime and that's why you have to use more. I'm now using pulverized lime from wormsway that comes in 50lb bags. Not because I think its any better, but because it ends up being cheaper in the long run. When I did have problems with ph dropping when I first used it I got better results adding very small amounts of hydrated lime to a gallon of water and then applying that than I did top dressing with the espoma garden lime. The hydrated lime is faster acting but you have to be very careful with it because it can take your ph way up. I got the best results adjusting the ph slowly over a few waterings with very small amounts of the hydrated lime verses adding 1 Tbs to a gallon and trying to correct with one watering of lime. Just my 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt. I am far from an expert. Hope it helps.

Any info is always good to hear. Whether expert or not. Your past exeriences could mean more to me than expert whose never used the stuff for example. So no sweat. I figured after all the research I did on lime I just said f it and bought it anyway. could of just waited. But I'll give it a try for some minor stuff also I'll throw some on my lawn if that's cool.

any of you fellers tried epsomas flower tone? i m in lc's mix with recipe number one..leaves are yellowing too early in 1st 2 weeks of 12/12..

T

treefrog

Give them enough nitrogen to green up. It's not too late.. The 1st few weeks is when the flowers are building their framework. If they have a weak, deficient framework, then yield won't be maximized.

mad librettist

Veteran
They need nitrogen to make all kinds of stuff, including any amino acid found in the flowers.

If using bio-tone and good worm castings you have a steady supply on top of what is cycling in your hopefully functioning soil biosphere v

jcj77d

its gonna get hard to find Epsoma products ATM, b/c they are in a "trademark" lawsuit, as i was informed when i went to go buy some from one of their retailers, & the store owner told me this, b/c they didnt have any Epsoma products, they had to remove them off the shelves b/c of the lawsuit