What's new

endless humus building photo dump

Coba

Veteran
picture.php

compost/recycled OLS

picture.php

my pile is small again... I had to fill these ^ up. 4'x6'x12" x 2...they took my whole pile of "ready" soil plus 8, 5 gallon buckets of local organic free-range chicken litter compost that was full of worms, twice as much as that of local not- bagged fresh topsoil I got from a "friend". 1 1/2 3.8 bales of SPM and 6 bags of red lava rock... hand hammered into smaller pieces... that was fun.

picture.php

That's OK! I'll have plenty more in a few months.

picture.php

Spring is here in my neck of the woods gentlemen! woo hooo!

W89

Veteran
Sweet! looking good mate, looks like you have a big garden, lucky fucker LOL :)

Coba

Veteran
Ain't nothing like turning a steaming pile of compost first thing in the morning!
picture.php

I made some more dirt yesterday...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

my buddy came over yesterday, stuck his hands in my pile of dirt, picks up a handful and smells it. then he said " That smells better than FFOF, wow."

picture.php

Coba

Veteran
I said "maybe, it's because I keep the pile underneath this old Hickory tree."
picture.php

S4703W

Thanks for info darc, i've tried ssh and a bunch of ssh based hybrids over the past year and just havn't found what i'm looking for, that clear, inspirational, everything feels more fluid high that i used to get from a G13Haze i bought years ago(probably shoulda started my search there durr). Gonna get some more seeds soon and continue searching through my own stuff, but man do i miss it.

I'm at about 8 weeks or so on my current revolution, things are looking pretty decent. Although i can see the effect of my inattentiveness in the garden, havn't been doing as many sprouts or as much aloe. I have been basically chucking some ewc in with some molasses and potsil bubbling and calling it a day. Anyways heres a couple pictures of my still favorites at the moment bodhi's tiger's milk. First one is my favorite out of the two of them.

J

jerry111165

my buddy came over yesterday, stuck his hands in my pile of dirt, picks up a handful and smells it. then he said " That smells better than FFOF, wow."

Jeez I would imagine so. Why do so many folks think that those products are so great?

j

D

Durdy

My guess is the bright shiny bags! (probably cost more than the soil itself!)

Good to see ya around Jerry, thought that last storm got ya!

B

BlueJayWay

Yea stop leaving to the dark side Jerry ;)

So here's my next step in endless humus building -

European Nightcrawler Cruisin:
picture.php

Flipped the container upside down into another one, to see what's goin' on down there & to check if its too moist or dry:
picture.php

A little closer:
picture.php

I'll be keeping a small container of Euros and as I add more larger & permanent no-till flowering containers I'll add maybe 10 large Euros to each one. Also I'll check for myself how quickly the Euros process material vs. the red wigglers....

B

BlueJayWay

My first of hopefully many 45gal. smart pot Red Wiggler containers - full to the brim with 'bedding' and 'food' - 3 pounds and 1000 cocoons to start, it's maybe a month into action.

Surface:
picture.php

Directly under the surface you'll find 'em wigglin' around:
picture.php

And I'm finding out they like to have Orgies in warm moist balls of Kelp (from teas)
picture.php

This bin will be left alone for 12 months +/- based on observations, every two months another bin will be filled so that after one year a full bin can be harvested every two months - tens of thousands of worms and 6cuF of vermicompost every two months.

I'm already strangely really enjoying keeping worms, most likely I'll double my efforts and double up so I can harvest every month!

Here's what I hope finished product will look like, this is some vermicompost I picked up the other day that was highly recommended:
picture.php

Coba

Veteran
oh, don't you just want to hop in there with 'em... and hang out, and wiggle a little bit...

Naw, me neither... they're fun to look at and poke with stuff though.

Cann

you get those nightcrawlers from your yard?

Every time I am mixing soil they gather under the tarps, so If I lift up the tarps real fast I can snatch up a bunch of the ones who are on the surface. I feel like a robin LOL. anyway, I have about 30 in a bucket, similar to what you have going on. you reckon they'd like a nice fat ROLS no-till pot?